x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Ethernet cards for Netbook Pro

Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-03-16 6:05 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I want to get a ethernet card for my Netbook Pro (Xscale, Windows CE 4.2) and don't want to shell out $100 for a Socket LPE card. Can anyone provide a recommendation of a particular card for use with this device (based on experience, not just a HCL checkmark)?
 Top of the page
pyrite65 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-16 8:29 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have a SIMpad SL4 running 4.1 and havn't had any issues with my Enterasys RoamAbout PC Card. Works with out any problems, just load the card, and it connects!
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-03-16 9:57 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I am not interested in wireless cards. I already have several that work quite well, thank you. I am looking for *WIRED* ethernet adapters. In particular, ones that are known through personal experience to work with the Netbook Pro.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-03-17 6:42 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-17 6:54 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Any adapter that is known to work with the Windows CE 4.2 will work with the Netbook Pro.
You don't go into a store and ask for a Network card that works with "my Dell Dimension XPS 5600", you ask for one that works with Windows XP. Windows CE is no different in this regard.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-17 4:10 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2006-03-17 12:54 PM

Any adapter that is known to work with the Windows CE 4.2 will work with the Netbook Pro.
You don't go into a store and ask for a Network card that works with "my Dell Dimension XPS 5600", you ask for one that works with Windows XP. Windows CE is no different in this regard.

this is true most of the time but not always. especially if we're talking about ce.net, ce.net is no longer just a platform (but you know that)... what runs on one cenet device will not necessarily run on another even with hacks.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-03-17 11:27 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have to concur with Cmonex on this one. Windows CE is really rather fractured OS environment.It is often not enough to write a program for a particular Win CE OS/processor combo. For one, there are often significant differences in what dll files are included in the OS image from device to device, be it HPC 2000 or CE .Net 4.20. I am personally unwilling to spend my money just because a 3rd party device manufacturer claims compatibility with a certain OS. With a community as small and tight nit as ours, I am far more willing to spend money on something when there is annecdotal evidence from a user that something works with a given device.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-18 6:38 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

We're not talking about progams though, we're talking about drivers for a Wired LAN adapter which come out of the universal CE4 DDK.
WiFi "config utilities" are a different story.
 Top of the page
AndiF
AndiF Page Icon Posted 2006-03-18 7:08 AM
#
Got several ethernet cards running with my NBPro.
It is just important that they are NE2000-compatible!

Andreas
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-18 9:34 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2006-03-18 12:38 PM

We're not talking about progams though, we're talking about drivers for a Wired LAN adapter which come out of the universal CE4 DDK.
WiFi "config utilities" are a different story.

how can you live without a config utility if you want a little security for your wlan network?!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-18 3:17 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CmoneX, the poster in this thread is looking for Ethernet, that's Wired LAN not Wire-less
We're not discussing WiFi drivers.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-18 6:03 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2006-03-18 9:17 PM

CmoneX, the poster in this thread is looking for Ethernet, that's Wired LAN not Wire-less
We're not discussing WiFi drivers.

umm, i just replied to your post - mentioning wlan
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 12:30 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

To which I said "WiFi "config utilities" are a different story.". Open / shut case here.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 9