x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows 95 OSR 2.5 Install Issues

1 2
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 7:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Joseph,

I'm glad to hear things are OK. On the plus side at least you're sure you will have all the updates when you're done.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 8:51 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yes, I finished installing XP Sp2, and I am now installing more updates and my computer seems 'addicted' to my old 2 GB hard drive for the Infinia, the computer will not boot with that drive disconnected.. Win XP is not even installed on it...
I am now abanoning the Win 95 project for a while...
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 9:50 PM
#
H/PC Elder

If and when you decide to start the 95 project again don't hesitate to ask for any help. Hey, I'm still using it on my Librettos and Amity and it works great.

Geez, the B release is 10 years old this spring. Where has the time gone? I never imagined I'd be using 95 in 2006.

Edited by wallythacker 2006-03-20 9:52 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 9:53 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I am trying it in Virtual PC right now (C Version)..
EDIT: Okay, I am in VPC 2004 and I formatted the virtual disk and I shut down then restarted the machine and I go into the setup and it asks me if it can check my system and I press enter and it says:
"please wait while setup intializes.
Windows Setup requires 7340032 bytes avaliable on your C: Drive" and then it just goes to the specific cdrom drive letter..
EG: R:\>
EDIT2: I am executing a file in \WIN95\ called 'OEMSETUP' it is formatting my drive now..

Edited by tenjeangosi 2006-03-20 10:07 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 10:09 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I think it may be telling you that 74mb of FAT formatted space is needed. I'm not sure how VPC works. When you formatted the virtual disk did you choose fat of some sort?

Also, I forget the exact switch, but type setup /? at the command prompt to get the win95 install options available. One option will skip all the pre-check nonsense and go right to work.

Edited by wallythacker 2006-03-20 10:10 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 10:13 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Okay I will try that, I will post back momentarily..
Thanks
EDIT: I got Win 95 setup gui on, err not

Edited by tenjeangosi 2006-03-20 10:15 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 10:35 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ohh, if it won't boot then it probably means that you messed up on the master/slave relationships. XP may have dumped its boot sector onto the 2gig.

"Windows Setup requires 7340032 bytes avaliable on your C: Drive" usually means that it is an invalid partition format

If you
c:
dir

In DOS does it give a read error?
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 12:01 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I am trying to keep track of this thread - it's rather confusing. But it sounds as if the 2GB drive is installed as the first primary and the 80GB (?) as the slave, exactly as C:Amie mentioned.

Do yourself a HUGE favor - physically disconnect whichever drive you are NOT installing an OS on.

Win9x can only install on C: but XP can install on any drive - it will place it's bootloader on the primary drive when you opt for a install on another physical drive. It can be confusing unless you are precise in your setup and have experience with this.

Completely disconnect the large drive then install Win9x. Disconnect the (now) Win9x drive, reconnect the large drive, then install XP.

If you want to dual boot from this point you have two options once you put the XP drive back in as primary and 9x as slave. Either:

(a) add Win9x to XP's Boot Manager and dual boot via software or

(b) use the "Swap Drives" function of your BIOS to make the primary the slave, and the slave the primary, when you wish to start Win9X (put 9x's drive as slave)

This is certainly the safest method - Win9x will be very happy with you because the swap is hardware based and it will be very transparent to 9x.

I hope I've got what you are trying to do right - dual boot between XP and 9x on 2 different drives? If not I'm sorry for opening up my big fat mouth

Edited by Snake 2006-03-21 12:14 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 12:09 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Originally he was attempting to install on a different system, it went pear-shaped and he connected the disk to his PC, tried to dual boot win2003 whick killed xp and failed. Subsequently tried to install xp, which mastered to the 2gig drive.

and here we are... I think.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9