x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Bizarre UPS routing for my 720

1 2
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-17 1:01 AM
#
H/PC Elder

What UPS is doing is making no sense to me. Into Canada customs, back to Chitown the back to Canada Customs.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-17 2:57 AM
#
Yeah, I have no clue why they do that. My Cassiopeia A-11 went all over the country before getting to me. They sent it like 4 times farther than they needed to...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-17 3:34 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Why do you use UPS... They charge like $40 just for handling thru the customs (from US to Canada). I will never use them again. I won't buy from US sellers who insists on UPS either.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-17 5:22 AM
#
H/PC Elder

UPS has an achilles heel. If the item is shipped as a person al gift witb a value of $20 UPS *cannot* by Canadian import restrictions charge anything to clear it. OTOH, they would easily charge $60 to clear an $80 vitem. A tidbit for Cabadians. There is bo brokerage required for any shipment <$1600 CDN coming from either the US or EU. UPS has been gouging people a long time and I hope some government agency soon puts a stop to it.

Morale of the story, never let UPS act as the shipper for items origination from a US business or anything where the value gets declared at $60 or more US.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 9:17 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

lol whats wrong with USPS EMS or airmail + a cheap insurance?

edit: wally how did you make this screenshot??? it has normal PC IE but has hpc icons in the tray. can't be remote desktop because its tab should look different. help me understand!

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-19 9:20 AM
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 11:38 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Very strange!!! Unless UPS is living up to its name.
The best route I had with my MP and Mac was Internationaal shipping > Standsted > Thatcham > Portsmouth > Home...
 Top of the page
Maul Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 11:50 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I'm sorry to hear that your package is still bouncing around out there, it is goofy indeed.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 3:43 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Monica, I don't reember how I made the screep cap. Win95 maybe?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 3:57 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

win95? hummmm so it does have the same icons like the wifi icon for example? wow, that's funny! ...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 5:55 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Actually I have that same WiFi icon in the SMC wifi driver for my 98 laptop. I'm guessing driver coders are simply "borrowing" icons from each other BTW IIRC Linksys has a different icon for its 9x driver (WPC11).

What other icons look like HPC? The power plug and speaker icons are pretty generic and straight forward, so I don't see why you thought they were exclusive to HPCs
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 6:13 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2006-03-19 11:55 PM

Actually I have that same WiFi icon in the SMC wifi driver for my 98 laptop. I'm guessing driver coders are simply "borrowing" icons from each other BTW IIRC Linksys has a different icon for its 9x driver (WPC11).

What other icons look like HPC? The power plug and speaker icons are pretty generic and straight forward, so I don't see why you thought they were exclusive to HPCs

it was a long time ago when i used win9x last time... but i use hpc2000 almost every day, so...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 2:27 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2006-03-19 6:17 AM
lol whats wrong with USPS EMS or airmail + a cheap insurance?

Works for me. Funny how people refuse to trust the Postal Service just cuz it's a government entity.

This whole discussion reminds me of the old joke about the proposed merger between United Parcel Service and Federal Express - with the combined corporation given the combined name Fed-UPS.

Edited by CE Geek 2006-03-20 2:28 AM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 2:55 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Remember, CE was meant to look like Windows 9x...

Shipping troubles...
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 8:26 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I think the USPS is pretty darn good, it's when Canada Post takes the package that all the destruction begins.

UPS tracking does have it's merits. At least you know you're package isn't where it should be. With Canada Post you'll likely get your package before it shows up on their webiste tracking.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 9:14 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I agree USPS Express Mail is the way to go. For US to Canada, it's so fast you won't even need tracking. However ground "shipping" is very slow indeed, and tracking doesn't do squat. But I would still accept that for being cheap.

I understand why some sellers prefer UPS because of the fancy tracking page, but TBH the brokerage/handling fees are too high a price to pay.

For sending I also suggest Canada Post. The ground parcel mail to US does get there after exactly 10 days, no more no less Airmail only costs a little bit more if you need it to arrive more quickly. Either way it's a lot cheaper than UPS/FedEx. Very happy with Ca Post so far.

Edited by takwu 2006-03-20 9:16 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11