x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

All my hpcs for sale, maybe

1 2
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-18 3:20 PM
#
H/PC Elder

if the reminders I set on them to turn off the vcr to record the F1 race from Malaysia fails.

No kidding, the reminder is set on 5 of my hpcs, and two Palms. If for some flaky reason they don't go off the remind me of the VCR, goodbye to them all. What use are they if they can't remind you of the *important* things in life. Heck, I can remember the birthdays of people I care about, I don't need a hpc for that.

Busy day tomorrow, F1 and Nascar races to watch (Atlanta is Nascars fastest track btw, anyone live near it? To me it's holy ground, moreso than Indy, lol)

Watch hpc bay tomorrow after noon EST if things go badly with the VCR
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-03-18 5:21 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I call dibbs on one of the 6651s.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-18 5:33 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-03-18 9:20 PM

No kidding, the reminder is set on 5 of my hpcs

which 5??? simpad and nec 890 included? (these are interesting for me)

edit: ok i see, all will be for sale, not just those five

is this a bad joke?

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-18 5:38 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-18 8:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Nope, it's not a bad joke, but I must say it's a little strange, even for me.

One 6651, the 890, a 720, the 781 and the SL4 have the reminders set. Geez, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned anything just yet.

I can envision someone with *big* wire cutters at my fusebox going *snip* and hoping my hpcs batteries drain before the alarms go off.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-18 8:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

OK... then a simpad at the price you bought it originally. thats my wish (found out there are no funds for the 890 right now)

anyway, all this is still a little unclear to me: "If for some flaky reason they don't go off the remind me of the VCR" - if one of them doesn't or if any of them? makes a big difference.

also how did you think of this idea?
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-18 11:21 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I'm sure wally means if all of them fail, i.e. not a single one of them succeeds

I always use my Smartphone to remind me of stuff, because it is always close to me, has a pretty loud speaker and vibrates too.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 12:20 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Oboy, where to start.

Has anyone else gone through the "what in gods name am I doing with all these gadgets that crap out when I need them the most" syndrome?

Maybe it's cabin fever. I really didn't like this winter. It was especially long because last summer was wasted staying inside. (Family things, enough said)

Yep, I had plenty of time to fiddle with hpcs but even that got boring after awhile. I certainly won't spend what short summer we have coming inside messing with toys. Maybe I should move to a better climate instead of dumping my gadgets.

Well, I revived my Librettos and I'm finding them great little units. I have 5 battery packs in total so I've got plenty of run-time if I go on the road. After a year or so in storage I discovered leaving them on the charger overnight really tops up the batteries.

I also mentioned I've revived my 486/32mb tablet and it *really* rips for an old CPU. It's noticeably faster browsing than any hpc I own. And that's what I mainly do, browsing.

I have the same tablet, but with a P166 and 160mb of ram on the way from ebay. If it rips like my 486 tablet I'll be really happy. Thrilled.

I'm nearly certain I'll give my desktop to my Dads wife and I'll buy a $450 laptop from Radio Shack as my "power" machine to burn DVDs and other intensive stuff. I don't seriously game so I don't need 50,000 fps video cards and 2gb RAM. I'd be happy with a 1.4ghz Celeron. Plus I can downsize again and dump my computer corner and just use the laptop wherever in the house.

I bought a $10 Royal organizer at Radio Shack one day last week and it's really, really simple but smart enough to sync with Outlook. It's sooo simple there is *no* tweaking to do on it. None. No updates, experiments, hex-editing. In other words, no time spent fiddling when I could be doing other things. (I don't know what right now)

Finally, for everyone here in the wings who might be drooling at the prospect of me dumping my hpcs I'll hopefully make it clear. 5 hpcs are set to alarm.

Only 1 needs to go off to save all the others. If all 5 fail to remind me, well, either I'm incredibly stupid and didn't set them up right (possible) or they're something I can live without and spend my time on other things. (also possible)

Sorry for the long windedness.
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 12:33 AM
#
H/PC Elite

make sure the sound is on and turned up. 6651 and J720 are loud!!! i rediscovered my J720 and psion 5MX after being in storage for along time, the J720/ J728 are awesome for their size. too bad wince 4.2 as no alarm settings.

i wanted that 6651 as i watched him get those hpcs.

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 12:51 AM
#
Looks like a case of HPC blues... I understand that from time to time, you begin to wonder why you even have them in the first place... I mean, who would use an HPC as big as a MobilePro to keep appointments and tasks? It's just way too big.

But I think the Jornada 720 is the perfect HPC, in terms of it's usefulness and reason to exist.

Is there more to life than HPCs? If so, I havent noticed.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 12:52 AM
#
H/PC Elder

CBC, you nailed it. Precisely.
 Top of the page
yttan10 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 1:05 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Tapeminder

I love that.

I need, not want, an 781.

I'm broke.

Good night
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 1:56 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Tapeminder, terrific idea. I totally forgot I downloaded. I should have set a reminder on my hpcs to get me to install it

Good? news for me, bad news for hpc hunters.

Every hpc alarm sounded within a couple seconds of each other. (I used vxutil to sync their times before I set the alarms).

The crazy part? I'm not in the least bit tired. I'm staying up to watch the race live. It ends at 4AM EST so I'll try to sleep then and hopefully get up in time to watch the Nascar race.

It never fails. Stuff always works when it's not *really* important. If I had set alarms to catch a flight *then* they'd probably fail.

edit: All of our hpcs are really *wants* aren't they? We all did fine with pen and paper when that's all we had.

Edited by wallythacker 2006-03-19 1:59 AM
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 2:32 AM
#
True, but good to hear that your HPCs still have a place at your home. It seems that electronics work better if you threaten their existence!

I remember a time when I was helping a good friend fix his old Pentium PC. For hours, nothing would get it to boot, but as soon as he raised up a baseball bat to take a swing at it, it loaded the desktop in an instant.

It went to screen saver before we stopped laughing.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 3:01 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I have witnessed similar things personally, lol, but way more frequently since pcs became common. I remember threatening my old cars with the scrapheap whenever they acted up.

Who says inanimate objects don't understand a well-worded threat?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 8:24 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

pooooh so no cheap simpad for me. (i wouldnt pay more for a simpad than the price you paid for yours.)

anyway i was sure you meant IF they all fail but the only logical way of thinking would have been: IF one of them fails. because you dont carry 5 hpcs with you anyway. (btw i carry 3 gadgets currently, a hpc, the bsquare and the zaurus. zaurus only because its small enough to fit in the remaining space in my handbag.. haha)

(as for browsing speed.. if you get a cenet hpc with 128 mb ram that will probably beat your amity.)

royal organizer? it must be plain boring!!!! not because you can't hexedit stuff on it, but because it can1t do much. just basic PIM... so boring.
and even if some of you might think i'm the biggest and greatest tweaker - i am not. there are others who know more about hpc hacking than me. and what's more, i don't tweak my own hpc's after they've been all setup. and they are! working just fine and making my life more comfortable and enjoyable.

sure earlier i was able to live with just a pen and paper but that was a lot of pain for me. then i started using my brother's pc for that (when i had no pc, long long years ago), but it was again a pita because he always locked the pc and i couldn't get into it until i found out the new password and then when he found out i got the password it started all over again. that's why i had a pda BEFORE i had my own pc!! (that pda wasn't a hpc but it did have a keyboard)
so, why live if life is all pain and no enjoyment? along the same line, why write if i hate doing it (on a paper or on someone else's pc - but i like doing it on my _own_ pc or hpc)?

Ceya and CardBoardCrusader: finally understanding why i love my j728??? so much that i've started getting spare J728's - yeah it is a new project but should work out if i'm patient enough. later if i can get some more funds i'll try to get a cheap spare sig3 from japan directly. only later.. why am i not rich enough

anyway, CBC, ive never seriously wondered why i have them. i did get asked that question by someone else of course (by that friend of mine who's constantly annoyed with me because of them).
i once asked myself in last november if i really want to get more hpc's and i was sure at that moment that i was going to get bored soon. well: i was wrong... utterly wrong.

...off to play with the latest toy that has just arrived this morning - a NEC mobilepro 700
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 9