x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sepang F1 race

1 2
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 5:31 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

wallythacker - 2006-03-20 6:54 PM

The only F1 races I have been to were at Mosport and Watkins Glen. And they were a long time ago. I still have vivid memories of parts of them even though I was a youngster.

I still think Watkins Glen was the greatest track ever for the USGP. It is such a wonderful course and would be such a wonderful place to have it now. Unfortunately the track isn't anywhere near FIA standards so it won't happen.

I like the Indy course but it is so boring at times. The 7-8-9 complex is just a waste of time... who thought it was a good idea for F1 cars to go 55MPH?!

I'd love to see them race at Laguna Seca. Can you imagine those guys taking on the corkscrew there? Would be a very religious moment for some of them!
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 5:33 PM
#
H/PC Elite

wallythacker - 2006-03-20 5:32 PM

And if the FIA doesn't ban the wings the other teams will be free to adopt them. I'm interested how this plays out. I'd like to see Ferrari pay the price for bending the rules.

If you didn't hear, basically the FIA told Ferrari, McLaren, Honda and Aguri to change their wings... so no penalty for Ferrari and the other teams are punished for even bringing it up.

The day Max Mosley leaves the helm of the FIA will be the greatest day in history.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 6:03 PM
#
H/PC Elder

The Glen is a great circuit. I walked it one evening on a Can-Am weekend. (pre-porche 917-30 days so McLaren won handily.)

There was talk of a 2nd US race at Seca. Last year I read about it and thought it would be great. F1 needs more exposure in the US to attract more fans. Indy is a yawn. I always thought it was a stopgap track until they decided on a better location.

No wing penalties. I'm not surprised. Ferrari probably had a free pass in their pocket from the x-wing debacle a few years back and cashed it in.

Sporting rules dictated by one person really hurt the sport. Nascar suffered the same crap at Frances hand for decades.

Good riddance to petty sport tyrants. Get rid of them all I say.

edit: Check this out. Plymouth had a dual-overhead cam hemi in the works before that idiot France saw it and banned it on the spot.

I can only drool and dream about a DOHC 'cuda or charger that never was.

Edited by wallythacker 2006-03-24 6:14 PM
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 6:21 PM
#
H/PC Elite

wallythacker - 2006-03-24 5:03 PM

The Glen is a great circuit. I walked it one evening on a Can-Am weekend. (pre-porche 917-30 days so McLaren won handily.)

There was talk of a 2nd US race at Seca. Last year I read about it and thought it would be great. F1 needs more exposure in the US to attract more fans. Indy is a yawn. I always thought it was a stopgap track until they decided on a better location.

No wing penalties. I'm not surprised. Ferrari probably had a free pass in their pocket from the x-wing debacle a few years back and cashed it in.

Sporting rules dictated by one person really hurt the sport. Nascar suffered the same crap at Frances hand for decades.

Good riddance to petty sport tyrants. Get rid of them all I say.

edit: Check this out. Plymouth had a dual-overhead cam hemi in the works before that idiot France saw it and banned it on the spot.

I can only drool and dream about a DOHC 'cuda or charger that never was.

Give the fiasco of last years USGP, I've got no doub the Indy contract won't be renewed. Where a USGP will be in 2007 is anyone's guess.

Of the tracks in the US that could handle such an event and are at or close to FIA standards:

Laguna Seca (close to standards)
Las Vegas street course (oh please no)
Sebring (would be tough to get up to standards)
Road America (same as Sebring)
Road Atlanta (not long enough and virtually no stands)
Mid-Ohio (no seats and probably no where near standards)
Infineon (ditto)

Can you think of any others?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-25 2:11 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Sears Point? If it's still called that. Probably not up to standards but Nascar used to run there.

Also, I recall the group 1,2,3 protos and sports cars running at Vegas with an infield road course. No better than Indy IMO.

Edited by wallythacker 2006-03-25 2:13 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.205 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8