x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

"Us" compared to "Them"

1 2
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 4:08 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Just when I was wondering if I had a life with so many hpcs I stumble across this thread. It totally refreshed and uplifted my spirits.

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=af75b723e3a8044bde1e85a1a43018f3&threadid=97029

11 pages on how to change the wait symbol on a ppc. Now there's a fine group of people who are mired deeper in tech doodoo than we are
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 4:46 AM
#
I wonder if that'll work on a HPC?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 9:19 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Oh sure, it's dead easy. You can even change the mouse cursors if you have a cursor based device. The problem is though that you need to get hold of the EXACT GWES version for your deivce. If you put the wrong GWES on the H/PC either it'll refuse to boot - or it will run at 0.1 miles an hour and when it does finally boot you wont have proper use of the shell - something I'm sure you will agree is a problem.

I don't have the correct version for the 720 used to take the below grab.

The attached took me 24 attempts to screen grab. GWES's performance issue as it was the wrong one were causing a 70 second lag between tapping the button and it executing the grab.
It does spin as you would expect.
 Top of the page
Jornada 660lx Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 10:20 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

neat hamster, although i still enjoy the original wm2003se loader
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 10:34 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

chazco - 2006-03-19 10:46 AM

I wonder if that'll work on a HPC?

yes, hpcs too have mui support.

C:Amie, you dont need to replace gwes itself. just use a mui, thats what they're doing in that thread too.

i tried it on my sig3 and it didnt slow down or anything because i just used a mui file for gwes.

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-19 10:40 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 3:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

LOL...C:Amie. I have this mental picuture you you trying to grab the spinning icon and being frustrated at every attempt. "19....darn....20....double darn...21....crap....22....arrgh....23...."

Been there myself. Next time use SOTI Pocket Controller Pro. The sync not only slows down the operation of the action, but the grab is almost instantaneous since it is your desktop doing the capture and not your handheld.

Rich
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 6:20 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Rich,

hehe, actually rich that was only try 1, 2 and 3. The remianing 21 were all raipd presses of the capture button followed by filling the RAM up with egg times generating application launches.

cmonex,
As you well know, I don't have a CE4 device.

To my knowledge, in place language resoure excution was only added to the CE core with the CE4 release and yes I'm aware that it's in the 2002 platform release. I've no doubt that you'll give it your all in trying to disprove that, however that is where I'm approaching this from.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 6:33 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Oh geez, I started this to convince myself I/we weren't as bent out of shape as much as the ppc peeple. God forbid this becomes and 11 page thread on changing the wait symbol.

If that happens, what makes us any *differnet* than them

Edited by wallythacker 2006-03-19 6:34 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 6:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2006-03-20 12:20 AM
I've no doubt that you'll give it your all in trying to disprove that

and you're wrong

i never tried it on hpc2000, TFGBD did. cenet mui's partially worked. and even he doesn't have PB 3.0 so we couldnt do more than that...

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-19 6:36 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 2:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-03-19 3:33 PM

Oh geez, I started this to convince myself I/we weren't as bent out of shape as much as the ppc peeple. God forbid this becomes and 11 page thread on changing the wait symbol.

If that happens, what makes us any *differnet* than them

We have better machines.

BTW, there's also a software plugin for Windows Mobile 2003 that allows you to select the wait symbol from a set. (I have a waving American flag on my Axim.) But it requires the .NET Compact Framework. I have vague recollections of seeing a version of .NET CF for H/PC 2000, but it could be just my old mind playing tricks on me.

Edited by CE Geek 2006-03-20 2:21 AM
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 3:17 AM
#
That PPC thread was started like 2 years ago, and it's 68 pages long! I wonder what the longest thread on this site is....
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 9:10 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2006-03-19 11:34 PM

C:Amie - 2006-03-20 12:20 AM
I've no doubt that you'll give it your all in trying to disprove that

and you're wrong

i never tried it on hpc2000
Well go on then, no time like the present.

Wallythacker, sorry to say it, but we can be just as vain as the PPC community
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 2:05 PM
#
H/PC Elder

On further thought, I guess ppc peeple need to post away about something, anything, to justify their little bricks. If changing the wait symbol is the best, or worst, issue they have as a group then so beit.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 2:39 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2006-03-20 8:20 AM

BTW, there's also a software plugin for Windows Mobile 2003 that allows you to select the wait symbol from a set. (I have a waving American flag on my Axim.) But it requires the .NET Compact Framework. I have vague recollections of seeing a version of .NET CF for H/PC 2000, but it could be just my old mind playing tricks on me.

well, no, but the ppc2000 version works without hacking
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 2:41 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Depending on your stance it's a pro or a con, good or bad. However the IT industry is increasingly concerned with cosmetic issues, we can't exactly blame PPC users any more than we can H/PC users or Windows XP users for theming.

I think that the argument of justifying carrying around a kayboard in the interest of "portability" is a more ready target for laughing at PPC users - after all, I'm not exactly one who can talk here. I'm Mr. Cosmetic, just look at the site and looks at the graphical work I have done for the H/PC.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 11