x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Bye bye overloard!

1 2
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 9:30 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Perhaps time to take this opportunity publically to say goodbye to my nearest and dearest friend for well over two years, I have now known her for 5.

HISTORY:
For those wonderding, Overloard is my oldest laptop that I managed to cart around everywhere, recieved a big battering, and has done more international travels, than a hot air ballon curcumnaviaging the goble 10 times. Brought in about August 2000, as a Pentimun 3 machine running at 1ghz, she stay very much unchanged throughout apart from a 256mb addition, brought soon after her purchase, retaining the orignal processor, keyboard, battery, etc until September 04. She was given a newer miss-mash battery (darkblue instead of a sort of copper oxide colour). But overtime, she started to show wear and tear. The computer has been to several US cities, Swizerland, Bath, London, Edinbrough, Birmingham (twice), Liverpool and many other places. Although her life was ancipiated to be short, she lasted longer than we expected.
Anyway, in about March 05, she was upgraded to an 80gb HD and at the same time, the CD ROM/DVD ROM drive packed up (Her orignal drive was given over to a simliar type of notebook PC.), gaining a new one in about May 05 suspectedly from an IBM thinkpad. This drive was modifed to fit the computer and rested until today.
In August 05, her HD was given up for Anna/LWA, gaining a 40gb HD instead. Soon after that, the 40gb HD was removed and replaced with a 20gb HD and then stayed the same all thoughout.

During the last 2 years, her health was deterioating rapidly. Firstly, the backlight gave a lot of trouble, this was fixed in November/December 05, but her hinges were showing signs of wear and a pannel for the Processor completely melted in December 05 while in Bath! Her DC jack melted several times too, often needed resoldering on, but since the LCD hinges are now considered "beyound economical repair" and the arrival of the Powerbook G4. I have now reluctantly taken the decision along with my father to depart from Overloard for ever. The computer shall take its last trip today (Or tomorrow) to the local tip for the ultimate fate. The most likley fate will be recycling, which I think is best.

The parts now recovered are:
Keyboard
RAM
Hard Drive
DVD drive.

However, while replacing the CMOS battery, I have now rendered it unusable too.

Its a shame, but it has to be done.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 3:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The magic gray puff of smoke has left the building.
Oh well, all good things....
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 3:55 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2006-03-19 2:48 PM

The magic gray puff of smoke has left the building.
Oh well, all good things....

That's right - and once the blue or grey smoke gets out, you can't ever get it back in. Kinda like the gerbles that run the Internet. God forbid those things ever get loose....

On a side note, I'm glad Chris and I aren't the only ones who name our devices and computers....

Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 3:02 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

White smoke is the worst, thats when one of your ic's are on fire.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 3:10 AM
#
Such a sad story...

You have my sympathy on this one. I'm glad she served well as a companion, it's hard to let go after you look back at all you've been through together.

I hope someday you will find another, in hopes of filling the hopeless void that so recently entered your life...
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 12:20 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Well, after all that, my father then wants to keep it. I didn't see or smell smoke, but the light flicker, which indicates there is life in that little universe.
The computer still lingers on, no keyboard, no ram, no hard drive, no CD drive, its like a corpse atm. Oh well.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 12:28 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

break it up for parts on eBay. The LCD has to be worth something to someone.
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 1:12 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I"m sure guys from around here could use the parts :-) Put her up on Ebay or HPCBay and I'll make an offer for the processor, DVD drive, HDD and RAM... I have laptops and computers needing those pieces :-) UNless you recycled them already into other ones.... Sounds like you have an army of computers, like me!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 2:20 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Pete P. - 2006-03-20 7:12 PM

I"m sure guys from around here could use the parts :-) Put her up on Ebay or HPCBay and I'll make an offer for the processor, DVD drive, HDD and RAM... I have laptops and computers needing those pieces :-) UNless you recycled them already into other ones.... Sounds like you have an army of computers, like me!

still have the black 820?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 3:24 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I had a moment of silence for your loss...
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 11:26 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2006-03-20 5:28 PM

break it up for parts on eBay. The LCD has to be worth something to someone.

I was thinking that, hence why I took it apart, btu still, my father is still willing to keep it. It still has a half decent battey that holds a 2 hour charge.
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 12:09 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

@ Cmonex- Yes, and I have been meaning to finish setting up my Ebay account (for selling). Maybe I'll do it through HPCBay instead. Did I mention I found the battery?
@ Wessex- I thought you said it was dead... You said you gutted it :-P
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 4:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Pete P. - 2006-03-21 6:09 PM

@ Cmonex- Yes, and I have been meaning to finish setting up my Ebay account (for selling). Maybe I'll do it through HPCBay instead. Did I mention I found the battery?

i'm still interested... forget ebay lol. what was the price, i forgot.. (we should continue this in a PM)
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 3:40 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

@ Wessex- I thought you said it was dead... You said you gutted it :-P

Recovering parts doesn't instantly mean I gutted the PC.
The processor I may of gave a little ESD or may not be in properly.
Anyway, we have anohter laptop in the meantime join us and it is.... wait for it.....
A IPC topnote equivlent!!!
Well, actually, it is a Samsung VM8000 and looks VERY Simliar to the IPC Topnote H, the fan grille looks identical, the case looks very simliar (with a few changes, the battery is glued, but again, we suspect it is the same, it also has the same problem.....

Cracking LCD screen hinges....!

The only thing is that it doesn't have a SERIAL port! Sometimes.....
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 7:52 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

What use is a 2 hour battery for a laptop you don't have any more. By the time you come to even contemplate using it, it'll probably have charged locked and be a novelty paperweight.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 11