x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Tornado heading toward me

1 2
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 11:47 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Heading toward me, news telling me to take cover soon. baseball sized hail Scared but OK s o far. freaked out!!!
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 11:50 PM
#
Woah, dude! Put your HPCs in plastic ziplock bags! Hope you're ok! Are you going to stay inside, or drive away?

EDIT: Do you have a basement or storm shelter? That would help.

Edited by CardBoardCrusader 2006-03-19 11:51 PM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 12:04 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

raining real hard now, and real strong wind with constant lightning. I am going to remain calm. Will shut down computer and retire to a safe location inside my home. Keep every one in central texas in your thoughts.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 12:06 AM
#
Ok. Good luck, I'll certainly be praying for you guys down there. Hold together!

* When a tornado has been sighted, go to your shelter immediately. Stay away from windows, doors and outside walls.
* In a house or small building, go to the basement or storm cellar. If there is no basement, go to an interior room on the lower level (closets, interior hallways). Get under a sturdy table, hold on and protect your head. Stay there until the danger has passed.
* In a school, nursing home, hospital, factory or shopping center, go to predesignated shelter areas. Interior hallways on the lowest floor are usually safest. Stay away from windows and open spaces.
* In a high-rise building, go to a small, interior room or hallway on the lowest floor possible.
* In a vehicle, trailer or mobile home, get out immediately and go to a more substantial structure.
* If there is no shelter nearby, lie flat in the nearest ditch, ravine or culvert with your hands shielding your head.
* In a car, get out and take shelter in a nearby building. Do not attempt to out-drive a tornado. They are erratic and move swiftly.

Edited by CardBoardCrusader 2006-03-20 12:10 AM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 2:58 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Oh wow, this is happening right now? I did not realize!

I hope you are fine... Please post back for us all when you can!
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 7:29 AM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

Yoldering - 2006-03-19 10:47 PM

Heading toward me, news telling me to take cover soon. baseball sized hail Scared but OK s o far. freaked out!!!

Starting to become spring time in Texas isn't it?

Up here in Dallas we had a lot of rain - about 4" in my town - in the last 3 days but nothing really severe. The rough stuff was down in your area for sure.

Hope all is well.
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 7:32 AM
#
H/PC Elite

CardBoardCrusader - 2006-03-19 11:06 PM

Ok. Good luck, I'll certainly be praying for you guys down there. Hold together!

* When a tornado has been sighted, go to your shelter immediately. Stay away from windows, doors and outside walls.
* In a house or small building, go to the basement or storm cellar. If there is no basement, go to an interior room on the lower level (closets, interior hallways). Get under a sturdy table, hold on and protect your head. Stay there until the danger has passed.
* In a school, nursing home, hospital, factory or shopping center, go to predesignated shelter areas. Interior hallways on the lowest floor are usually safest. Stay away from windows and open spaces.
* In a high-rise building, go to a small, interior room or hallway on the lowest floor possible.
* In a vehicle, trailer or mobile home, get out immediately and go to a more substantial structure.
* If there is no shelter nearby, lie flat in the nearest ditch, ravine or culvert with your hands shielding your head.
* In a car, get out and take shelter in a nearby building. Do not attempt to out-drive a tornado. They are erratic and move swiftly.

In Texas and Oklahoma children are implanted with a EPROM at birth that has the Tornado Subroutine in it. When the term "Tornado" and an observation of a green sky are matched, the subroutine kicks in.

You ask any kid over the age of 5 down here what to do in a tornado and chances are - if they were born here - then can almost repeat your post word-for-word.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 7:33 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I am fine, late for work. But fine. Will give details later.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 9:13 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It's kind of sweet really. There's a tornado heading for your house and you come here and tell us about it first.

We should be honoured.

I'm glad that you're OK.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 9:38 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

What...no "Last Will and Testament" post/upload while you still had time? I remember the tornado weather when I was stationed in Witchita Falls...nasty weather. Don't miss it at all.

Rich
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 1:59 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Good grief man. I'm glad you're OK. I'm never gonna bitch about blizzards again.

But guess what? I live in Tornado Alley north. The second most active area in North America. Our season starts in May and runs till late September, sometimes October.

Strange this is we don't dril the safety routines into the kids.
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 5:48 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Rich Hawley - 2006-03-20 8:38 AM

What...no "Last Will and Testament" post/upload while you still had time? I remember the tornado weather when I was stationed in Witchita Falls...nasty weather. Don't miss it at all.

Rich

Where you there in April 1979 when that F5 ripped through the southern part of the city?

Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 6:02 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Here's what hit us in 1985.

http://www.ontariostorms.com/1985/barrie/barrie.html

I don't know F it was, maybe 3-4? It sure chopped up the south part of Barrie. I live about 800 yards from where the eye passed through. Every hot humid summer day I have one ear on the storm warning channel.

I live in a great place eh? Siberian temperatures in the winter, tornados in the summer (along with rainforest like heat and humidity), the occasional earthquake (usually epicentred in Lake Ontario) and fierce windstorms.

Now you know why I value the good weather days so much. We have so few of them.
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 6:13 PM
#
H/PC Elite

According to the Fujita scale, anything that can destroy a brick building is at least an F4:

F0 < 73 Light damage. Some damage to chimneys; branches broken off trees; shallow-rooted trees pushed over; sign boards damaged.
F1 73-112 Moderate damage. Peels surface off roofs; mobile homes pushed off foundations or overturned; moving autos blown off roads.
F2 113-157 Considerable damage. Roofs torn off frame houses; mobile homes demolished; boxcars overturned; large trees snapped or uprooted; light-object missiles generated; cars lifted off ground.
F3 158-206 Severe damage. Roofs and some walls torn off well-constructed houses; trains overturned; most trees in forest uprooted; heavy cars lifted off the ground and thrown.
F4 207-260 Devastating damage. Well-constructed houses leveled; structures with weak foundations blown away some distance; cars thrown and large missiles generated.
F5 261-318 Incredible damage. Strong frame houses leveled off foundations and swept away; automobile-sized missiles fly through the air in excess of 100 meters (109 yds); trees debarked; incredible phenomena will occur.
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 6:16 PM
#
H/PC Elite

clintonf3 - 2006-03-20 5:13 PM

According to the Fujita scale, anything that can destroy a brick building is at least an F4:

F0 < 73 Light damage. Some damage to chimneys; branches broken off trees; shallow-rooted trees pushed over; sign boards damaged.
F1 73-112 Moderate damage. Peels surface off roofs; mobile homes pushed off foundations or overturned; moving autos blown off roads.
F2 113-157 Considerable damage. Roofs torn off frame houses; mobile homes demolished; boxcars overturned; large trees snapped or uprooted; light-object missiles generated; cars lifted off ground.
F3 158-206 Severe damage. Roofs and some walls torn off well-constructed houses; trains overturned; most trees in forest uprooted; heavy cars lifted off the ground and thrown.
F4 207-260 Devastating damage. Well-constructed houses leveled; structures with weak foundations blown away some distance; cars thrown and large missiles generated.
F5 261-318 Incredible damage. Strong frame houses leveled off foundations and swept away; automobile-sized missiles fly through the air in excess of 100 meters (109 yds); trees debarked; incredible phenomena will occur.

Keep in mind this as well...

Jarrell, Texas in 1997 was hit by a tornado. The last measured wind speed was 340MPH with a pressure center of 5mB (14mB is "normal" if I'm remembering correctly)... It literally pulled the concrete streets out of the ground as well as home foundations.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.220 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 12