x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Tornado heading toward me

1 2
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 6:25 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Thanks Clinton. So we were hit by an F4 then. There have been plenty of F3's in the surrounding countryside over the last few years, but nothing hitting urban areas.

340mph? That completely blows me away (no pun intended). I do have a storm refuge in my house. It wasn't planned but my basement bathroom is below ground and has 3 poured concrete walls and a concrete roof. In a bad storm I gather the cats and head there. I *think* it could withstand an F5 but I hope I never put it to the test.
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 7:39 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

wallythacker - 2006-03-20 5:25 PM

Thanks Clinton. So we were hit by an F4 then. There have been plenty of F3's in the surrounding countryside over the last few years, but nothing hitting urban areas.

340mph? That completely blows me away (no pun intended). I do have a storm refuge in my house. It wasn't planned but my basement bathroom is below ground and has 3 poured concrete walls and a concrete roof. In a bad storm I gather the cats and head there. I *think* it could withstand an F5 but I hope I never put it to the test.

Anything above ground will not be able to survive in an F5 if the impact is direct. In the case of Jarrell, they found bodies literally 4-5 miles away from the location of the house these people lived in. The only way to survive is below ground.

But when you get these "super" tornadoes like that one, even then it is a challenge. Fortunately those are a once-every-10 years kinda storm.

Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 10:14 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yoldering, where are you at? It's been a few hours since your last post. I've seen nothing on CNN good or bad.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 10:54 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Jarrell, Texas is just north of my folks house, they live in Williamson County. The news around here was so freakin serious about the weather. Telling us to get to a safe location, I got so many calls and texts messages about the weather. I was a little freaked out. The tornado touched down, but changed direction south soon after. There was golf ball sized and smaller hail but no baseball sized. I live in Hays County. Tornados have hit here also but not often at all. So when there is a tornado around we get over cautious. I think that is a better idea. Thanks for the concern. I am safe and sound.

Edited by Yoldering 2006-03-20 10:56 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 11:02 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Thanks for the good news. It's a relief when bad weather hits and everyone manages to duck the worst. Good grief, you also had an ice-storm last year IIRC?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 4:08 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Geez, I feel spoiled here in SoCal. We've had a couple of tornadoes touch down near LA over the last couple of decades, but they only touched down briefly and did relatively minor damage.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 4:42 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Ya, but when the big one hits it'll make New Orleans look like a picnic j/k, I hope nothing like that happens in my lifetime. I've some dear friends in SoCal.
 Top of the page
jornada720 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 4:56 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I have never heard of a tornado in March, what was the temp when the storm hit you Yoldering?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 5:25 PM
#
H/PC Elder

The weather is so fouled up I'm not surprised.

How's this? A couple years ago in January we had tornado warnings where I live. Ya, warnings in January in a sub-arctic environment.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.205 - Cached queries : 48 - Executed queries : 27