x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Compact Flash Memory

baronvonflapjack
baronvonflapjack Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 4:05 PM
#
Hey everyone. Newb here with a newb-type question. Sorry if there's another place in the forums for this.

I see outpost.com has a 4GB micro drive for $70. Apart from reduced battery life (due to the moving parts) will there be any compatibilty/functionality issues if I get that instead of a standard compact flash card?
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 4:14 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi, you've just asked in the right place.

about the MD vs CF question. AFAIK there's no other compatibility or stability issue. The only thing i7d stronly suggest you is to be more careful (as in not tossing or smashing it in the ground) with your HPC when it has the MD inside, as it has moving parts and could get damaged. Other than that, you should be perfectly fine.

BTW which HPC do you have??
 Top of the page
baronvonflapjack
baronvonflapjack Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 4:18 PM
#
Nothing yet- my J720 arrives tomorrow!

I also got myself a PCMCIA Linksys 802.11g card. Should I have any issues with that?

I checked the compatibility guide but it wasn't clear based on that.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 4:26 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well, yes and no.

Many microdrives are locked in IDE mode, meaning they work fine as a hdd over a USB interface but they *won't* be recognized a a hdd when used directly in a CF slot.

My findings so far show every MD <4gb I've tried work fine in a CF slot. I haven't yet found a 4gb MD in a USB housing that will work in a CF slot, though I have a couple here to tear apart and try.

I'm afraid the "g" card won't work. It's a cardbus card, hpcs only work with pc cards (16 bit jobs)

Edited by wallythacker 2006-03-20 4:28 PM
 Top of the page
baronvonflapjack
baronvonflapjack Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 4:45 PM
#
Is there a wireless card you'd recommend? Also, how would I recognize CardBus vs. PC Card?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 5:09 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Cardbus cards have a gold strip near the connector end.

There are many great wifi cards available for hpcs. I prefer Prism based cards like the Linksys WPC11 ver 2.5/3, the Belkin F5D6020, Netgear MA401. Others prefer Orinico cards.

Check the hardware compatibility list here to choose your weapon.
 Top of the page
baronvonflapjack
baronvonflapjack Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 7:09 PM
#
Does this mean most "G" cards are out?
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 7:51 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

baronvonflapjack - 2006-03-20 6:09 PM

Does this mean most "G" cards are out?

Yes. There is no "G" card that currently is known to be compatible with the HPC2000 devices. I, personally, have a Cisco Aironet 350 series (AIR-PCM352) and have not had any problems. Other have had difficulties, most of which can be avoided by reading this thread. However, others have cited power draw issues with the Aironet cards.

Hope that helps,
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 8:17 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Baron, not to worry. There are many suitablle wifi cards to choose from. All things considered no hpc can take full advantage of G speeds. The only other goody you might miss with a B card is wpa. I don't know of any hpc/card combo that supports it.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 8:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-03-21 2:17 AM

Baron, not to worry. There are many suitablle wifi cards to choose from. All things considered no hpc can take full advantage of G speeds. The only other goody you might miss with a B card is wpa. I don't know of any hpc/card combo that supports it.

WPA has nothing to do with B or G speeds! except that a B card is usually older so has less chance to have WPA..

ce.net 4.2 supports WPA on my nec 900c... i just don't have a card with WPA, but for example the socket cf wifi has it.

anyway even the plain prism cards can use WPA at least with a zaurus, i should try WPA... may not work with CE though...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 11