x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Will a HPC work for me?

1 2
rlw Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 11:49 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Maybe this should move to another thread, but I've just recently started having the same problem with the speaker on my J720 -- headphone jack works fine, but nothing on the speaker. At first, I thought it might be related to TCPMP -- it always seems to shift the volume back to "low" between every song. Now, however, I get nothing from the speaker.

Any chance of someone posting the links to the "cold/dry solder joint" or software problem that causes the loss of the speaker?

Thanks,

Edited by rlw 2006-03-21 11:50 AM
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 3:24 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

cmonex - 2006-03-21 10:55 A

Hurricane John - 2006-03-21 2:13 PM
I thought the problem was with the Jornada 720 speaker and not the headphone jack? I've always had a problem with the speaker working intermittantly, but the headphone jack still works fine. As a matter of fact my speaker no longer works at all, but I can still listen to mp3 file using headphones.

that is usually a software thing with the speaker. (have never experienced it though)

It's more of a defect thing......this has been a problem with 720's since day one. The problem was suppose to be fixed on the 728, but there are 728 out there with the same speaker problem (the mute function has a mind of it's own).

As for prolonged use of the PC Card eject button effecting the infrared connection .... this is obviously a (poor) design issue which can be blamed directly on HP. This is to bad, because the rest of the 720/728 functionality is very well designed and well built.

Monica - if you have a 720 and/or 728 without either of these problems, then consider yourself lucky- but that doesn't negate the fact that these problems exist on many, many HP 720 & 728s. It's not our imagination!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 4:06 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Hurricane John - 2006-03-21 9:24 PM
It's more of a defect thing......this has been a problem with 720's since day one. The problem was suppose to be fixed on the 728, but there are 728 out there with the same speaker problem (the mute function has a mind of it's own).

As for prolonged use of the PC Card eject button effecting the infrared connection .... this is obviously a (poor) design issue which can be blamed directly on HP. This is to bad, because the rest of the 720/728 functionality is very well designed and well built.

Monica - if you have a 720 and/or 728 without either of these problems, then consider yourself lucky- but that doesn't negate the fact that these problems exist on many, many HP 720 & 728s. It's not our imagination!

well, i agree, if it really affects the IR port, it's a poor design.
not sure if i don't have the audio problem with the headphones, i still didn't find one here to test with. the speaker - well i don't use it often. but never a problem with it so far.
one thing is for sure, my infrareds work fine thank you. (and that matters more to me than the audio problem)
 Top of the page
David G Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 4:59 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

On the Speaker problem...

Hi, on a couple of occasions, I noticed that my Jornada 720's speaker sound would quit working. I couldn't find a software problem (volumes, etc.).

I found that I had a problem with my headphone jack shutting off the sound. When I inserted then removed a jack the sound returned to my speaker. Currently, everything is working fine. It's good to know this information. If it gets worse, I may get a chance to do some surgery!
<- Surgical mask - must be sanitary

DG
 Top of the page
Chriz-B
Chriz-B Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 7:21 AM
#
mikesmith9966 - 2006-03-20 12:13 PM

Not sure where to start, so I will try here. I have been searching the forums to see if a HPC would suite my needs. Starting with little or no knowledge I still have several questions. Moving from a full size Co. truck to a small car and the HPC is the correct size but will need to serve two proposes.

MP3 player (along with other popular music files).
1. Can I use it as a quality MP3 player?
2. Can I play directly form memory cards?
3. What is the largest memory card accepted?
4. Dose HPC have a speaker/head phone out jack?
5. I would like software with graphic equalizer and the ability to display MP3 ID tag info would be nice.
GPS with real time navigation.
1. Need point A to B driving directions.
2. Ability to import Latitude Longitude locations from Excel.
3. If so what kind of GPS mouse/antenna would I need? ( I have one but it has a UPS plug).

I know this may be asking a lot but maybe someone has been through this before. How about the Jornada 720 or even the 728? What software version? Any other suggestions?

Mike

1. Yes, install Winampaq and play your music
2. Yes that is possible
3. Not tested it, but I think it can handle all Compact Flash type 1
4. There is a speaker and a jack out
5. I don't know software for the equalizer, but Winampaq can read ID tags I think

I use also GPS navigation, and works perfect! I have ViaMichelin Navigator (mapsonic) but only maps from Europe, I don't know if they have maps for US.
But this navigation system works perfect!
3Dimensional maps (TomTom style)
There is also PC software on the CD. You can use this to plan your route (Excel)
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 7:52 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Hurricane John - 2006-03-21 8:13 AM

KBoyKool - 2006-03-20 7:18 PM

I'm surprised cmonex didn't mention this, but there is one issue with the J720 of which you should be aware. Even with minimal use of the PC Card socket, the J720 can develop a dry joint--or bad solder connection--with the headphone jack, preventing it from functioning. If you're brave enough, you can fix this (search the forums) or send it to the folks at usedhandheld.com for a fix. Either way, it could be a hassle if your machine develops this. I thought you might want to know this before you acquire one.

This issue is documented in the forums, but I'm not aware if it plagues the J728 as well. It sounds like you may be using the PC Card slot extensively for peripherals, so this issue could possibly develop on a machine you use.

I hope this helps you make your decision. Cmonex and other experts, please correct me or provide additional information where appropriate.

Thanks,

Kenny

I thought the problem was with the Jornada 720 speaker and not the headphone jack? I've always had a problem with the speaker working intermittantly, but the headphone jack still works fine. As a matter of fact my speaker no longer works at all, but I can still listen to mp3 file using headphones.

BTW - the speaker on the 720 is awful.....you definitely want to use headphones when listening to music!

I think the mic and speakers on the J720/J728 is the best out of all the HPC except the Psion 5/5MX ( you can edit on the 5series). The Intermec 6651 is freaking loudest of them all but J72X you can set the bass and treible also.

S/F,
CEYA!

Edited by Ceya 2006-03-22 7:53 AM
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 10:29 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Ceya - 2006-03-22 7:52 AM

I think the mic and speakers on the J720/J728 is the best out of all the HPC except the Psion 5/5MX ( you can edit on the 5series). The Intermec 6651 is freaking loudest of them all but J72X you can set the bass and treible also.

S/F,
CEYA!

CEYA

The best speaker ever on an H/PC was the one on the Compaq C-Series 2015c! The speaker was actually on the top cover of the 2015c (not like all the others which are underneath) so the sound was loud, clear and unmuffled!

As for setting the bass and treble - most MP3 players allow you to do that anyway.
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 12:26 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I've created a new thread for the sound issues. Respond to the OP in this thread and take your sound issues comments here.

Thanks,
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 1:38 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The IR issue is a nominal one, it's not too likely to happen due to anything other than violent use of the device. The worry for me with the Jornada has always been the fragine headphone socket, and its difficult design - rendering it hard to replace.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 3:13 PM
#
H/PC Elder

oops

Edited by wallythacker 2006-03-22 3:15 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 15