x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 9:54 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi all...
Well I finally got a chance to try out a hotspot with my 720 and Linksys WPC11 v.3. Total disaster! First off, nPOP is a piece of garbage. No where does it say that if you do a soft reset it wipes out all your account settings! So when I had to do said reset I was up the creek.
PocketWinc is garbage too. It kept freezing and forcing reset after reset. The WPC11 refused to see the hotspot(the local library-it's a totally open no encryption no sign in hotspot) until I opened PocketWinc. which then promptly froze! When I finally DID manage to connect to the hotspot I couldn't do anything, because of nPOP's having wiped out my account settings when I did the reset, and PIE just refusing to connect. It just kept saying "The connection to the server could not be established" despite the Linksys config utility saying it had an excellent connection. I noticed the IP addy of the 720 didn't change once connected either. I have it set to be automatically assigned via the DHwhatever, and the mode is set to Infrastructure, no encryption. Anyone have any ideas? Does NetStumbler work with the WPC11? I can't afford to try a THIRD card. Thanks for any help!

Sue
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 10:04 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Sue, I saw DISASTER and thought perhaps your wifi card got hit by lightning or something. Thank god it wasn't.

I prefer Netstumber over all over scanning programs, so yes, it works fine with the wpc11.

I know nothing of npop so I can't help you there. All my email is web-based.
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 10:32 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

OK, calm down. Let's try going over a few "details"

1) nPOP will not transmit to most ISP's over a WiFi IP (or any IP link) unless you also download, and properly install, nPOP's SSL DLL and OpenSSL support. This is because most ISP's now use SSL as part of the login process to reduce / eliminate bulk spam mailings via unauthorized users.

Have you done this yet?

2) When you reconfigured the OS network settings you must eject the NIC from the unit and reinsert (AFIAK) to "accept" the configuration change.

Have you done so?

3) Sometimes, it seems, some HPC & NIC combinations have trouble with certain wireless access points. My HP 660LX (WinCE2.0), using a Lucent/Orinoco Gold card, would not remain connected to a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router, even if you begged and bribed it. You may be suffering from the same symptoms.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 10:39 PM
#
H/PC Elder

From my experience the wpc11/720 pairing is solid as a rock. It's either connected or not.

That's with a variety of routers/APs, linksys, belkin, dlkink, smc. I may just have better fortune though than other people.
 Top of the page
SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 11:35 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Snake - 2006-03-20 10:32 PM

OK, calm down. Let's try going over a few "details"

1) nPOP will not transmit to most ISP's over a WiFi IP (or any IP link) unless you also download, and properly install, nPOP's SSL DLL and OpenSSL support. This is because most ISP's now use SSL as part of the login process to reduce / eliminate bulk spam mailings via unauthorized users.

Have you done this yet?.

Yep I did..had it all set up with my ISP's settings-until I had to do a soft reset because of PocketWinc and they all got wiped out. Since I don't make a habit of traveling with my ISP's settings written down(they are different for connecting from another ISP or a wireless point) I was up the creek.

2) When you reconfigured the OS network settings you must eject the NIC from the unit and reinsert (AFIAK) to "accept" the configuration change.

Have you done so?.

Yes I did.

3) Sometimes, it seems, some HPC & NIC combinations have trouble with certain wireless access points. My HP 660LX (WinCE2.0), using a Lucent/Orinoco Gold card, would not remain connected to a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router, even if you begged and bribed it. You may be suffering from the same symptoms.

Maybe so. I won't be able to test it with any other wireless points for a bit. I hope I can get it to work eventually. My problem wasn't that it wouldn't stay connected..my problem was I couldn't get on the internet once I did. It would connect instantly with Pocketwinc(but that stupid program likes to freeze for some reason). I can't afford to buy yet another card....
 Top of the page
SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 11:37 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

wallythacker - 2006-03-20 10:39 PM

From my experience the wpc11/720 pairing is solid as a rock. It's either connected or not.

That's with a variety of routers/APs, linksys, belkin, dlkink, smc. I may just have better fortune though than other people.

I wish I could say the same. This was the NYC Public Library's free hotspot. They say you don't have to log on or anything. With PocketWinc my WPC11 found the network (wouldn't connect without it for some reason) but I couldn't connect to the internet.

Sue
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 1:53 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Maybe you should create a profile just for open hotspots making sure there is no WEP and try using ANY as the SSID. I read somewhere the ANY SSID allows connection to any open AP.

I haven't been at wifi hotspots all winter. I'll start going again when it's warmer out and I don't need a hat/mitts/scarf to go outside.
 Top of the page
SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 2:01 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

wallythacker - 2006-03-21 1:53 AM

Maybe you should create a profile just for open hotspots making sure there is no WEP and try using ANY as the SSID. I read somewhere the ANY SSID allows connection to any open AP.

I haven't been at wifi hotspots all winter. I'll start going again when it's warmer out and I don't need a hat/mitts/scarf to go outside.

I didn't even realize it until just now that I could even make profiles..thank you!

Sue
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 2:08 AM
#
H/PC Elder

They save the aggravation of having to change settings when you go from AP to AP. I still forget to use them from time to time, lol.
 Top of the page
SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 2:15 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hey I just made the new profile with ANY for SSID and I'm suddenly sorta connected to something! The Linksys Utility says Associated Signal Strength Poor (20%) Link Quality flucuates between Poor 6% and Not connected? I am guessing it's someones Wireless Network that is quite far away? Ministumbler is showing 3 networks...this is kinda cool!
 Top of the page
SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 2:16 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

wallythacker - 2006-03-21 2:08 AM

They save the aggravation of having to change settings when you go from AP to AP. I still forget to use them from time to time, lol.

That might have been my problem..I was using the default profile with the SSID linksys...I suddenly feel like an idiot.

Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 2:18 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Aha, I think your NYC library experience will be much better the next time you visit them
 Top of the page
SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 2:21 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

wallythacker - 2006-03-21 2:18 AM

Aha, I think your NYC library experience will be much better the next time you visit them

Wally I could kiss you! LOL! Thank you for shedding light on my stupidity..LOL!
Now can you help me decifer all this MiniStumbler info I'm seeing?

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 3:40 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You get all the girls, wally.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 8:40 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

SueNY - 2006-03-21 3:54 AM

Hi all...
Well I finally got a chance to try out a hotspot with my 720 and Linksys WPC11 v.3. Total disaster! First off, nPOP is a piece of garbage. No where does it say that if you do a soft reset it wipes out all your account settings! So when I had to do said reset I was up the creek.
PocketWinc is garbage too. It kept freezing and forcing reset after reset. The WPC11 refused to see the hotspot(the local library-it's a totally open no encryption no sign in hotspot) until I opened PocketWinc. which then promptly froze! When I finally DID manage to connect to the hotspot I couldn't do anything, because of nPOP's having wiped out my account settings when I did the reset, and PIE just refusing to connect. It just kept saying "The connection to the server could not be established" despite the Linksys config utility saying it had an excellent connection. I noticed the IP addy of the 720 didn't change once connected either. I have it set to be automatically assigned via the DHwhatever, and the mode is set to Infrastructure, no encryption. Anyone have any ideas? Does NetStumbler work with the WPC11? I can't afford to try a THIRD card. Thanks for any help!

Sue

i see you sorted out the wifi problems glad about that.

anyway, pocketwinc is useful if you want to renew the IP without having to do the damn eject / reinsert

it doesn't freeze for me, not sure why it did that on your 720, did you use the copy from my site?

nPOP... no, no, it doesn't lose the settings after a soft reset, i'm really surprised this happened. maybe a bug in the newest version? mine is a little older - love it, i don't have to reconfigure it with my email settings if i move the memory card to another HPC or if i do a hard reset or anything. very very comfortable.
must've been totally bad luck
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10