x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

European trip, need a currency adapter for my tripad!

scharfshutze Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 11:29 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm going to need an adapter for my Tripad's ac adapter that changes 220volts to 110volts.

I've tried googling it up, but I'm unsure which adapter I'll need. Maybe you guys have one and could
point me in the right direction?

Heres the AC's specs.

Input: AC100V 50/60Hz 24VA
Output: DC9V 1.1A

Thanks for any help. You guys have helped me out alot lately and I appreciate it!!!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 8:45 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

just get a voltage converter 230V-110V. a 30W version should do. but i have a 100W here just in case... its model number is MW 2P100. the 30W version is MW 2P30 iirc.

have charged many US hpc's with it, no problem so far.

where are you going in europe? not my country by any chance?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 7:14 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

LOL, it thought you were looking for something like SWEuro found here: http://www.sw4you.de/sweuro.php3

European electrical adapters are found many places...even at Walmart and Radio Shack...

Rich
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 2:13 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Me too, I guess currency = current
 Top of the page
scharfshutze Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 4:34 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey thanks for the replies. I'm heading off to Norway actually. I've tried out a voltage converter before rated to like a thousand watts, but it burned out my
adapter! (The adapter has a low watt rating.) So I really want to be carefull when buying a voltage converter.

Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 5:40 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Weird, the converter should have a high wattage rating to handle high current US devices without overheating. An underrated converter might cause thermal runaway on the US ac-dc adapter (if it's a brick plugged right into the converter.)

Edited by wallythacker 2006-03-22 5:41 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 7:14 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

scharfshutze - 2006-03-22 10:34 PM

Hey thanks for the replies. I'm heading off to Norway actually. I've tried out a voltage converter before rated to like a thousand watts, but it burned out my
adapter! (The adapter has a low watt rating.) So I really want to be carefull when buying a voltage converter.

crazy thing, why would you need 1000W?
as i said even a 30W adapter will be enough

anyway if your adapter has a low watt rating it shouldn't be a problem! either the converter or the ac adapter was faulty...

wallythacker - 2006-03-22 11:40 PM

Weird, the converter should have a high wattage rating to handle high current US devices without overheating. An underrated converter might cause thermal runaway on the US ac-dc adapter (if it's a brick plugged right into the converter.)

whats with the brick?? how did you mean this?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 5:51 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Ah, I break my 1337 status to answer this

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to help but sad to see my 1337 status fade away....

Suppose your voltage converter was rated at 20 watts. Suppose you plugged in a 110v brick power supply that consumed 30 watts.

I'd expect the converter to start overheating because it's overloaded. A good portion of that heat will flow into the brick power supply plugged into it.

The internal resistance of the brick power supply will begin to drop as it heats up. The brick power supply will want even more watts from the converter which is already overloaded and overheating.

This vicious cycle continues until something melts down or catches fire.

Brick power supply = the type where the AC pins come out of the cube that holds the transformer and rectifier.

Morale of the story. I'd buy a 1000w converter knowing it would safely handle anything hpc related I plugged into it.
 Top of the page
oursferoce Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 6:05 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,
I've a good converter, that worked well when i plugged my former clio C1050 - i'm in France, 220-240 V.
I use it now for my US logitech IO which need 110V; you can plug on 110V and convert for a 220 V device or the opposite : 220v to 110v device.
I bought it from ebayer "sim-radio"
If you want i can check the data and constructor this evening (Paris-time, so not before 8 to 10 hours...)
Regards
Yvonnick
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 7:50 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-03-24 11:51 AM

Morale of the story. I'd buy a 1000w converter knowing it would safely handle anything hpc related I plugged into it.

thanks for the explanation

now how big is that 1000W converter? this 100W i have here is already a real brick... erm, several

100W is really enough even for my MP900 external battery charger which is capable of requiring 60W or so... (24V and - forgot how much A) ooh and it has a brick type adapter.. lol
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 10:34 AM
#
H/PC Elder

If size and weight are a concern then get the largest wattage converter that's OK to travel with.

I can't remember for the life of me what I used in the UK to charge my ham radios during my last visit. It must have been cigarette lighter chargers as I don't own a European converter, never have.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 13