x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Another sleepless night (not in Seattle)

1 2 3 4
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 4:51 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Geez, am I the only imsomniac here? I'm tired and witless (as per the semi-norm ) but do you think I can sleep? Not a chance.

I don't think I want to go driving or do cooking in my sleep so stuff like Ambien is out of the picture. Have any of you heard about that stuff? Man, it's pretty scary. People doing strange things will no recollection of events the day after. I'm bad enough remembering things as it it.

I don't drink so a nightcap is ruled out. Maybe I'll just try to stay up until bedtime on Tuesday. Perhaps that will get me back on schedule.

Any thoughts for a sleep aid? Something natural?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 5:07 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I can't go to sleep without reading bedtime H/PC stories.

Seriously, though, I find playing games on my handhelds while lying in bed does the job. In my case, though, I'm just clearing cobwebs from work out of my head. Some people say warm milk works, but for the life of me I can't figure out why. I also heard somewhere that a quick shower followed by jumping straight into bed without drying off does the trick too (if you don't get pneumonia in the process).

(I've heard sex puts us guys right to sleep too - but I wouldn't know. )
 Top of the page
SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 5:10 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

LOL you too huh? The only natural sleep aid I'm aware of is turkey. It has something in it that makes you drowsy. Really! I forget the chemical name. The OTC sleep aids are pretty harmless..all they are is Benadryl! Oh wait..do they call it that in Canada? It's been 2 years since my last visit..I can't remember..LOL! In any case it's just an antihistamine.
 Top of the page
SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 5:11 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Oh and another suggestion...counting. Lie in bed and count..you'll bore yourself right to sleep!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 5:17 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

L-tryptophan. In the turkey, that is. (I took some chemistry in coll . . . . . . I'm sorry, what was I saying?)

I can't take diphenhydramine (the active ingredient in Benadryl) because of my borderline BP. (Too bad; it was putting me out like a light before I found out about the BP risks.) But you're right, it is otherwise quite harmless, as long as you don't plan to drive or operate heavy machinery (does that include H/PCs?) any time soon.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 6:35 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've noticed that I tend to put people to sleep when I talk to them . . . . Hey, where'd everybody go? (See, it works.)
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 6:45 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Zzzzzzz..... huh? what? did someone say something? Geez, I was cutting z's till someone here spoke up

I can't take any anithistathingmajigs. They cause a bad reaction. Turkey does work for me, but I don't think I'm up to the long wait to cook the goose, er, turkey.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only night owl here.

Edited by wallythacker 2006-03-21 6:47 AM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 9:01 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Oh it's going to be a lonnnng day....Maybe I can ape my cats and grab some winks off and on throughout the day. My cats can fall asleep in mid-stride, sometimes I wonder if they've just dropped dead
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 11:11 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

not so long ago i could stay up as long as i wanted to and i didn't mind.. even enjoyed it (i never get bored!)... things seem to have changed a little since then (don't ask why, no idea), i need to go to sleep much earlier - around 2 AM or so.
but i could sleep right now too (5 PM)... probably i won't go to bed though, have important things to do.

oh what was the original topic? no, never had this insomnia problem ... as soon as i'm in bed i'm asleep. but i was not like this before.
however maybe i can help, sometimes (very rarely) i really wanted to fall asleep faster after getting in bed, and my method worked well. (no longer have to use it... )

so, basically: you close your eyes (you're of course already in bed) and try to see something, some image, some thing. don't try too hard, at least i could always see something sooner or later. then let yourself see even more, until the images start to change into other images automatically. then after a few mins you're suddenly & fast asleep.
this always worked for me!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 3:02 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I managed to get two hours of light zzzs in but they won't do me properly.

I'm going to try some suggestions here tonight if I have any problems dozing off.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 11:12 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2006-03-21 8:11 AM

as soon as i'm in bed i'm asleep

(sorry for being a guy... maybe it was something I read earlier in the thread...)

Anyway, wally... why don't you count sheeps HPCs! I can also sleep very easily. But sometimes if I might have consumed too much caffine, I would just find stuff to do. Read something, play games, exercise, etc. I can run out of steam quickly and just naturally ...

Edited by takwu 2006-03-21 11:13 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 11:23 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ah caffine, the elixer of the undead.

I can drink a gallon of tea, a case of cola, eat a dozen chocolate bars and feel no effects from the caffine.

However, just one small Tim Horton's coffee (it's a Canadian thing) and I'm good to go bouncing off walls the rest of the night. I can't explain it.

Monica, your inability to stay up all night like before, well, it's called *aging* It gets us all sooner or later
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 12:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

We're all getting old, we need less sleep, and in the mondern world we all have to deal with the communications blitz that is daily life in the market economy.

... oh, and there's also the hidden suggestions that bad things will happen to you if you leave the site; which have slowly been reprogramming your mind to force you to stay.

But whatt'ya gonna' do?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 12:49 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2006-03-22 5:12 AM

cmonex - 2006-03-21 8:11 AM

as soon as i'm in bed i'm asleep

(sorry for being a guy... maybe it was something I read earlier in the thread...)

well i didn't say if i'm alone or not
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 1:12 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Aha, I knew that subliminal mind reprogramming was at work here.

C:amie, admit it now, that's the reason you introduced V2 of hpcfactor

To turn us into mindless hpc zombies....Hmm, I suddenly have an urge to check hpcbay...
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 30