x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Incremental backup using bSquare BackupPlus

Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-03 11:44 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi folks,

Does anyone know how to do "Incremental backup using bSquare BackupPlus"? I'm using this backup utility quite happily but I realised that it does not do incremental backup ... ie only backup newer files ... I used CardBackup on my former T3 and it was pretty fast as it only backup the newer files or files that were changed.

If BackupPlus cannot do incremental backup, is there any other apps that does it for HPC2000 handhelds? Specifically on a MIPS device? (NEC MP790)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-04 8:54 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Unfortunatly no it doesn't support it.

Have a look at:
http://www.artsoft.ru/eng/artsshpc.htm
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-04 12:13 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I just downloaded and tried this arts thingie, unfortunately it immediately says that trial has expired .... and nothing I can do ... except register! *duh*
 Top of the page
Brain_Recall
Brain_Recall Page Icon Posted 2005-01-11 3:08 PM
#
Hi Snappy, nice to see another 790-lover

I'm also looking for a better piece of backup software. I can barely stand BackupPlus. If you ever used hp's backup software for thier Jornada line, you can see a lot of things missing in bSquare's packadge.

For example, a full backup with my Jornada 680 takes less then 3 minutes. A full backup for my 790 takes nearly 10 minutes. bSquares extracts each registry entry and backs it up individually, instead of just saving system.dat and user.dat files. Also, bSquare by defualts tries to backup both my internal Flash AS WELL as my CF card to which I am storing the backup. No wonder it always reports back an error of not enough storage space. It'll also by defualt trys to save every file that appears in ROM.

Restore isn't restore, just file moving. hp's restore will return everything to exactly the way it was. With bSquare, it won't delete any files, so if a defualt reset of the device had tons of shorcuts you didn't have when you backed it up, they'll still be there after the restore.

Yeah, that was a rant, but I had to let out some steam.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-12 11:11 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Ya I know ... its a bit of a pain. But this is what I do:

1. Move most of the dlls/apps to CF card. Need an app called SystemPath for dlls.
2. Do not view ROM files in bSquare BackupPlus.
3. Point Internet Explorer cache settings to CF card.
4. Backup only a) MyDoc b) Progfiles c) Windows

As it is, the backup file come up to 800k~1.4MB and is fast enough. Under 5mins.

You may want to tweak your setup a bit.

PS: Moving the files to CF is also good to get more RAM available for running apps. I have anywhere between 16MB to 28MB of free RAM to run apps.
 Top of the page
Rick
Rick Page Icon Posted 2005-01-27 12:15 AM
#
"Incremental backup using bSquare BackupPlus"

I did not even know that they sold this program.

Rick
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-27 9:49 AM
#
H/PC Elder

yeah, I think its no longer on their site. I got mine 'cos its bundled with my MP790!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 11