x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Microdrive

chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 4:55 PM
#
I need to read/write a lot of data quite often, so am considering a microdrive (i've killed off one CF card already). I have a few questions:

1) Is it true that removing the cover of the J720 CF slot will allow for a microdrive to work - or do you have to use a PCMCIA adapter?

2) Is 25GBP (approx 45USD) a good price for a 1GB Hitachi Microdrive?

3) If not, how much would a PCMCIA HDD (the toshiba ones i think) be to buy in the UK?

Thanks...
 Top of the page
jpfx Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 6:02 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Consider the power drain when making your decision. i don't know for sure but a microdrive seems likely to suck more power than a solid state CF card. Personally, I haven't found any benefit attached to microdrives that would make me use them over CF, AND, if you have had CF die on you then spend a little extra and get one with a good warranty.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-23 3:34 AM
#
H/PC Elder

1) I've seen pics of it working

2) I don't really know the UK market. In Canada now a chain is selly 1gb MDs in housings for $40 US so the UK price seems fair.

3) IIRC someone was selling 2.2gb (maybe 5gb, I can't recall) pcmcia hdds for $50 or so. Search the old hpcbay threads for it.

Go for a hdd if you write data like mad but also have a CF card you can transfer the more or less static stuff to. That's a good compromise between sucking your battery flat or killing another CF card.

I've killed two CF in the last few months so all my madman writing is now done to a MD. Hang the power! That's what spare batteries and AC plugs are for.
 Top of the page
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2006-03-23 5:57 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Was wondering what is the average lifespan of a CF card? I have 4 GB CF card and I'm praying that its going to serve me for a long long time!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-23 7:20 AM
#
H/PC Elder

It will last if you don't write to it constantly, how long I can't say. I have 64mb cards working fine and 256mb cards dying off.
 Top of the page
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2006-03-23 9:58 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hmmm....I definitely have been writing to it very often especially with video files...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-03-23 3:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Most cards have a 500,000-750,000 hours mtbf rating...which means that on the lower end, you can expect about 57 years usage from them under normal use. I have a 1gb card I've been using to tranfer files almost daily now for 2 years and it hasn't failed me yet.

I wonder, has anyone ever had a cf card fail?

Rich
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-23 3:43 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Two Sandisk 256mb CF cards died within a month of each other. The only new intensive process I subjected them to were many backups with bsquare. Before I started with bsquare both cards where entirely healthy.
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2006-03-23 4:33 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

tech_girl - 2006-03-23 4:57 AM

Was wondering what is the average lifespan of a CF card? I have 4 GB CF card and I'm praying that its going to serve me for a long long time!

Read my post here:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4120&posts=7#M38267

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10