x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows Stuck Driver

chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-03-25 4:11 AM
#
I use Linux on my desktop PC but my laptop still runs Windows XP. Recently i installed a driver which makes compact-flash cards appear as fixed disks (the Microdrive-driver) while working on the Linux project. I'm trying to figure out how to remove this and get it back to "Removable Disk".

I've tried using Unisntall in Device Manager, reboot, scan for changes. Didnt work - kept installing Microdrive driver.

I've deleted the entrys from USBSTOR in the registry - reboot, scan didnt work.

Any ideas?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-25 7:03 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You need to fish the inf file out of C:\WINDOWS\inf

Sort them by file date and you'll have a better chance of spotting it. You can then either go through the inf file and clear the files / registry settings out or just delete that and use Driver details in device manager to clear the main driver dependencies.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-03-25 7:54 AM
#

You need to fish the inf file out of C:\WINDOWS\inf

Sort them by file date and you'll have a better chance of spotting it. You can then either go through the inf file and clear the files / registry settings out or just delete that and use Driver details in device manager to clear the main driver dependencies.

Tried it. Still not working. Its no longer saying its a microdrive but its not installing the removable device driver either. Thanks for the help so far, its a big problem at the moment.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-25 10:04 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Assuming that it is a generic flash volume, the driver file name should be disk.inf in c:\windows\inf. Check that that file is there, if so attempt to force it to take the driver. Alternatively it's Chose Manually > Disk Drives > Standard disk drives > Disk Drive.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-03-25 10:13 AM
#
Check that that file is there, if so attempt to force it to take the driver. Alternatively it's Chose Manually > Disk Drives > Standard disk drives > Disk Drive.

How do i force it to do it. It doesnt show anything other than "Fixed Disk" in the Update Driver manual choose thing.

I've reinstalled Windows now but it would be useful to know for future reference.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-25 12:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That is the driver. The Windows Generic Key driver doesn't contain a database of every single memory key ever made, it just pattern matches is based upon the PnPID telling it that there has been a storage device connected. To force it you just go through the manual specification process and hope there are no missing steps.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-03-25 1:48 PM
#
I can sucessfully uninstall the mask driver, but cant install the usual Windows one. When i do "automatic search" it doesnt find anything, and when i choose from a list the only options are:

Generic: SD Storage Card - which also fails if tried, and shows up regardless of the removable type
Iomega: Legacy Parralel Port Drive

Any ideas?
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-03-26 9:22 AM
#
Anyone?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8