x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

MobilePro 780 questions

1 2
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2005-01-05 11:04 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hi;

I've recently picked up a MobilePro 780 and I've got a couple of questions...

First, the NEC web site says that I need to install Service Pack 1 to my 780. I've also checked on this site and it recommends that Service Pack 1 NOT be installed if my device is already at 3.01 (mine is). Are these two Service Packs the same? Sould I install the Service Pack from the NEC site?

Second, the other recommend download on the NEC site is schannel.dll. I've installed it and then downloaded and installed the 128-bit upgrade for Explorer. It overwrote schannel.dll with an older version of the file. Should I reinstall schannel.dll? Did I need to install the 128-bit upgrade?

And lastly, I've tried installing bUseful Utilities on the 780 and it doesn't seem to work. Double tapping on the short cut gives an error that it can't find the original file. Double tapping on the original file also says it can't be found. The readme file indicates that the programs can be used on an HPC Pro machine. Has anyone had similiar problems?

Rick
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-05 11:31 AM
#
H/PC Elder

You may want to take note that cab files are suicidal, in that they disappear after installations. So those cab installation files in your ROM/RAM/Storage Card are best backed up or set to Read-Only.

If set to Read-Only, they will still install but not kill themselves over depression!
 Top of the page
Gamechipper Page Icon Posted 2005-01-05 11:40 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

lol
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-05 12:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Rick,

A 3.01 device means that the SP is in ROM already So you should not need to install SP1.

You should install the 128-bit update. I do not believe that the NEC file is any different. Ultimatly just use the one with the higer file date.
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2005-01-05 1:13 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Snappy! - 2005-01-05 11:31 AM

You may want to take note that cab files are suicidal, in that they disappear after installations. So those cab installation files in your ROM/RAM/Storage Card are best backed up or set to Read-Only.

If set to Read-Only, they will still install but not kill themselves over depression!

I assume you're talking about bUseful Utilities. I don't have CAB files for it. They were installed from the original CD.

Rick
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-05 2:42 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

With bUseful have you installed into the default install location in main RAM or into a different location / CF storage.
If CF then please uninstall and try a default reinstall. Backup programs should as a matter of course be RAM resident, it is safer.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-05 2:45 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well .. good for you that you got the original CD ... but just in case you encounter the suicidal cabs in their act, you won't be surprised later.

Enjoi your MP780! I sure do my MP790!!

(This reply was entered using my MP790!!)
(Why didn't the HPC devices take off??)
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2005-01-05 5:32 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C-Amie - 2005-01-05 2:42 PM

With bUseful have you installed into the default install location in main RAM or into a different location / CF storage.
If CF then please uninstall and try a default reinstall. Backup programs should as a matter of course be RAM resident, it is safer.

I tried installing to both locations and doing a brainwipe between installs. However, I did install SP1 before installing bUseful Utilities, so perhaps, it's time to try it without SP1 (conflict?).
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2005-01-17 7:06 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Well, it looks like I solved my own problem. Apparently the installer on the original bSQUARE Utilities version 2 CD does not like my MobilePro.

I tried installing to a brainwiped 780 and encountered the same problem. So, I figured I would try installing from the CAB files the CD installed on my harddrive. It worked! I now have the utilities working on the 780.

One thing I did find is that the CAB files for version 2 contain the help files. Version 1 of the utilities contain a seperate help file in addition to the CAB file. Installing the help file in the windows directory on the 780 and then installing the version CAB file worked fine (I needed the HTML Editor from version 1).

Everything is now working great...

Rick
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-18 8:30 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Great!
 Top of the page
Maul
Maul Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 9:53 PM
#
Richard Plume - 2005-01-05 11:04 AM

Hi;

I've recently picked up a MobilePro 780 and I've got a couple of questions...

First, the NEC web site says that I need to install Service Pack 1 to my 780. I've also checked on this site and it recommends that Service Pack 1 NOT be installed if my device is already at 3.01 (mine is). Are these two Service Packs the same? Sould I install the Service Pack from the NEC site?

Second, the other recommend download on the NEC site is schannel.dll. I've installed it and then downloaded and installed the 128-bit upgrade for Explorer. It overwrote schannel.dll with an older version of the file. Should I reinstall schannel.dll? Did I need to install the 128-bit upgrade?

And lastly, I've tried installing bUseful Utilities on the 780 and it doesn't seem to work. Double tapping on the short cut gives an error that it can't find the original file. Double tapping on the original file also says it can't be found. The readme file indicates that the programs can be used on an HPC Pro machine. Has anyone had similiar problems?

Rick

Hi I dont know if you'll be checking back on this but you SHOULD install the servicepack available from nec onto your 780. The reason for this is because the service pack is NEC's and not Microsoft's. Here's an overview of whats in the NECServicePak1:
This service pack installs updates to the following built-in MobilePro drivers:

* SaveRam driver. This update corrects a memory input/output problem that writes invalid data into certain memory ranges any time the MobilePro is turned on, or any time a soft reset is performed. This driver has previously been publicly distributed as a separate file and there are no important changes from the previous version. For further details about this issue please see the FAQ.
* Display driver. The display driver is updated to address a problem where lines and characters may be incorrectly displayed in MobilePro FAX or the Microsoft RDP client.
* IrMAC driver. Updated to address a problem receiving data with packet sizes of 2049 or 2050.
* PCMCIA card driver. This simple update allows MobilePro to recognize an NEC modem.
* Keyboard driver. Prevents a condition where MobilePro can lock up during either a full or soft reset.
* Audio driver. Mutes the internal speaker after the modem connects.
* Modem driver. The modem driver update modifies internal settings to improve reliability when connected through certain types of telephone switchboards.
* StartUI. This driver eliminates a memory leak that reduces user resources.
* Bitmap files. Replaces an incorrectly sized bitmap file that can cause the unit to lock up if either “the power on password” or “Display Owner Notes features” are enabled for

This service pack addresses driver problems that are unique to the 780. So yes don't install service pack 1 from Microsoft, but do install NEC's service pack 1. Hope I'm not too late for you to read this.
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 10:24 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Maul - 2005-02-26 9:53 PM

This service pack addresses driver problems that are unique to the 780. So yes don't install service pack 1 from Microsoft, but do install NEC's service pack 1. Hope I'm not too late for you to read this.

It's never too late... However, I'm very confused over this. It also brings me back to my original question - is the NEC Service Pack 1 the same as Microsoft's Service Pack 1? Has anyone else here installed NEC's service park. Has anyone who hasn't installed it noticed any problems?

Rick
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-15 7:22 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The NEC download (a 1.9MB .cab file) is a NEC Update file - lets call it the NEC Updates Patch rather than a Service Pack.

The Microsoft SP consists of 8 smaller cab files for each section of the SP.

Unless your device is already Handheld PC version 3.01, you should install both.
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/ce211/
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2005-03-15 2:02 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2005-03-15 7:22 AM

The NEC download (a 1.9MB .cab file) is a NEC Update file - lets call it the NEC Updates Patch rather than a Service Pack.

The Microsoft SP consists of 8 smaller cab files for each section of the SP.

Unless your device is already Handheld PC version 3.01, you should install both.

OK, I've pretty much got it figured out now.

My 780 is already at 3.01 so, according to everything I've read and all who have replied, I don't need the Microsoft service pack. However, I do need the NEC update.

I've done a backup, installed the NEC update and restored all my programs and information. And then I made a new backup...

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to reply, your help has been appreciated.

Thanks again,
Rick
 Top of the page
Techboyftc
Techboyftc Page Icon Posted 2005-03-23 2:06 PM
#
If you have a MP780 your Apps are 3.00 but it is WINCE2.11 at least mine is.... and well I am Frustrated beyond belief... I need an acrobat reader BAD and can not find one also I must be stupid or something but I can not log into anything that is secured and even yahoo page makes the thing reboot ... can someone please help me... also I read somewhere that a 790 rom works in it... what does this help and what do you gain... all i need this thing for is contacts.. adobe and internet.. already have wireless cisco in it and working but cant do anything that requires logging in HELP!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10