x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Favorite Computer Brand

1 2 3 4
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 12:37 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yes, I know, I may just get the same model mac that broke on me: The beige PowerMac G3... I already have my OS 8.5, 9, and X 10.2 CDs, so I am set almost.. Besides, I just want classic, and would like to run a mac at least and I already have a newer Apple Keyboard and mouse..
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 12:39 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I have to admit I've seen some cool Macs at Fry's; if I had extra money to throw around, I might buy one just to try it.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 12:41 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I love Frys Electronics...
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 12:42 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

CE Geek - 2006-03-26 11:39 PM

I have to admit I've seen some cool Macs at Fry's; if I had extra money to throw around, I might buy one just to try it.
Yeah me too. I would like a powerbook.
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 11:39 AM
#
H/PC Elite

tenjeangosi - 2006-03-27 5:37 AM

Yes, I know, I may just get the same model mac that broke on me: The beige PowerMac G3... I already have my OS 8.5, 9, and X 10.2 CDs, so I am set almost.. Besides, I just want classic, and would like to run a mac at least and I already have a newer Apple Keyboard and mouse..

I'm trying to get myself an iMac G3 at the moment, just got a great space on my desk for it So if you have one going spare, I will take it

Nick
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 6:09 PM
#
H/PC Elder

It used to be homebrew for me but now I cast my vote for emachine. Mine was cheap and has been 100% reliable. Other family members have bought on my advice and are totally happy.

For laptops it's IBM. I didn't know how good they were until I got an older one. Amazing quality.

edit: Is that mini mac in the Origami thread for real?

Edited by wallythacker 2006-03-27 6:12 PM
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 6:29 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I bought my first PC in 1993 from Midwest Micro of Fletcher, OH. It was crap. The monitor died, then the MB. After that, I did my own upgrades and finally built my own system from the ground up, borrowing a few legacy components from the 1993 PC. I still have the TEAC Dual Floppy drive from that machine. From 1993 through my current machine, I typically kept up with computer technology--getting the latest and best. My current machine is an AMD Athlon T-bird 1200 with 256MB RAM, built in 2001 though. I'm on my third PS with that machine and finally upgraded the HD borrowed from my 1998 machine.

Slipping behind the PC times is easy to explain. I bought my first HPC to replace a P90 laptop and now seem to spend more time/effort/money getting the most out of my J720. I've considered getting a PowerBook as my next laptop (this coming from a guy who used to be staunchly anti-Apple), but lately have been intrigued by the obsolete Libretto (CT series). For "desktop" PCs, though, I will probably continue to build, as long as Tom's Hardware is around.
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 6:33 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Rich Hawley - 2006-03-26 9:42 AM

... in the rear is the water cooling system that makes it nice and quiet.

Water cooled? How weak. Why didn't you cool it with vegetable oil? ;+)
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 11:43 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

wallythacker - 2006-03-27 5:09 PM

It used to be homebrew for me but now I cast my vote for emachine. Mine was cheap and has been 100% reliable. Other family members have bought on my advice and are totally happy.

For laptops it's IBM. I didn't know how good they were until I got an older one. Amazing quality.

What model Emachine do you have? I am in the market for a new PC, and was leaning toward the Compaq SR1710NX or the SR1750NX I have like 4gigs of memory to drop into one and really need a upgrade. Comp USA had the 1710 on speacial last week for $200 and I missed it
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-03-28 11:46 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

wallythacker - 2006-03-27 4:09 PM

You mean the mac mini desktop? THat is real, check out apple.com ...
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2006-03-28 1:15 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have always stuck to clone-computers for home useage. In businesses (enterprice) I worked for, brand computers are more preferred, due to the capability of having 10-100-1000's of the exact same machines, allowing the IT dept to create a simple unattended install image. From the very beginning, I always used ASUS motherboards, the main part of a computer as I am concerned. and to be honest, as I can recall, all my motherboards are actually still working, including my very first p1 133 mainboard.

For laptops I used to prefer toshiba's. I started with a 220cdt build from 3 dead ones, and then went to a satelite 4080. However, the power connector for the adapter is kinda weak on tosh'es, so when my 4080 had it's 4th solder of the power connector on the mainboard, I traded up to an IBM T20. the t20 is over 5 years in my posession now, and has on average about 10 hrs a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year of work done on it (my programming). Recently I upgraded the processor from a 700 to an 850, but other then that, never had issues with it. Due to the limitted screensize (1024x768) I am looking for a new laptop, preferably widescreen with a way higher resolution. Currently I have my eyes on an IBM z60m, with a res of 1650x1080 on 15.4" cpu power isnt my biggest concern, but the build-in ati x300 should allow me to play some games on it.

Over the years of working with computers, I have gotten RSI, or carpeltunnel, and have issues with trackpads and mice useage. the Thinkpad laptops are currently the only ones that still have the trackpoint (the red dot as a mouse) which, anoying at first, actually allows me to work whole days again.

I did found out on ebay some Dell XPS laptops in my pricerange that also have the trackpoint, but still dubbing. The durability of my IBM has already proven its value, and eventhough IBM's are usually double the price for the same specs, they are truely worth it. With Dell, I have not had any experience with their XPS range, but other laptops I've usually seen them die within 3 years.

If anyone has some suggestions about decent laptops with a high resolution, and some sort of 64/128mb dedicated video card (ati/nvidia) and a trackpoint, please let me know.
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-03-28 10:29 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Do you have experience with Toshiba's Tecra line? I have always thought these were their high-end series and wondered if they have the same problems you mentioned above.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-03-29 3:43 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yoldering - 2006-03-27 10:43 PM

wallythacker - 2006-03-27 5:09 PM

What model Emachine do you have? I am in the market for a new PC, and was leaning toward the Compaq SR1710NX or the SR1750NX I have like 4gigs of memory to drop into one and really need a upgrade. Comp USA had the 1710 on speacial last week for $200 and I missed it
Am I going to get an answer Wally?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-30 1:29 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yep, my emachine is an oldie, t2085. I need to ask my family to get the model of their emachines from the sticker. They have no clue off the top of their head.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-03-30 1:38 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

My eMachine is a T2895
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9