x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Favorite Computer Brand

1 2 3 4
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-03-31 12:03 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I don't know, but Best Buy was a major vendor of their products... until they got caught "recycling" components into "new" machines. I haven't heard of them in the PC biz since.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-31 12:15 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-03-31 4:40 AM

Old Compaq anything is crap. (1995-99?)

Compaq was too cheap to put a fan on cpus so used a 0.0001 cent piece of carboard to direct airflow from the power supply over the cpu. Yeah, that worked great in warm climates.

As I mentioned, my Compaq 1230 laptop had the worst screen I've ever seen on a laptop. It also had a hare-brained Cyrix MediaGX cpu and chipset.

The few consumer Hps I've owned/fixed (1995-2000 era) have been slow finicky dogs compared to other brands. I recall the fiasco of no restore cds with many desktops. Instead HP wasted 8gb on the hdd with a restore image, reducing the 40gb hdd to <23gb of available space.

glad to hear my compaq is from 2002 (but it says hp nowhere, so it is compaq), so these shouldn't apply
no restore cd though, and no restore image either. hmmm never missed it.. (in any case i installed xp pro right away, iirc it came with xp home.. or win2000 can't remember )

CE Geek - 2006-03-31 4:30 AM

Well, I'd always heard that Compaq PCs were crap, but clearly cmonex' experience calls that into question.

certainly questioning that. i like this compaq pc here

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-31 12:18 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-31 1:23 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, I gotta admit Compaq seemed to do okay in the handheld market. The Aero line seemed for the most part to be decent (I really like my 1550), and I'm hearing that people have had good experience with the pre-merger iPAQs. (BTW, I notice that the Evo subnotebook line included CE models - anyone had any experience with those?)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-03-31 1:43 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I think those were thin clients (Evos w/ ce)
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 8