x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How do you use your J72x?

rlw Page Icon Posted 2006-03-26 11:56 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I posted this here, as it didn't seem to fit anywhere else...

I've had my J720 for 3 weeks now, and I've already used it for much more than I imagined I would. I'm thinking I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do.

Here's a list of some of the things I've used it for:

I took it on a weekend trip to PA to a B&B -- they had WiFi, so I used it to find a map (Mapquest mobile) to a nearby bar with live music. Also checked email with it.

I was at a client's office the other day, installing a new VPN router. I used it to view the old router settings so I could transfer them into the new router.

At another client's, we were decomissioning an old router and T1 line, and generally cleaning up a wiring closet. I had to make up a CAT5 crossover cable, but couldn't remember the pin assignments. I did a Google search for "CAT5 crossover pinout", and found a great website with a good description (and graphics!) -- saved me lots of time. I also used the VNC client I learned about from this website to log in to a Win2K system to check the local network.

I purchased a copy of Micro$oft's Streets & Trips 2005 with Pocket Streets (again, from a tip from the HPC:Factor forums). I had to go to a client's home to set up a VPN for her. I used PS2005 to find her house.

Saturday night, we had friends over for dinner. I've got about 35GB of music files stored on a Linux box in the basement. I hooked up the J720 to my stereo, fired up TCPMP, and we listened to some jazz, Steely Dan, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, and Beatles while we played cards.

I bought this thing to replace a Palm PDA I use to keep track of transactions for my computer consulting business -- I've been so busy discovering things I can do with the Jornada that I haven't had the time to move my transaction/customer/mileage DBs over to it. I guess I have a short attention span, 'cuz I seem to keep finding other things to use the J720 for. What a great little system!

I'm thinking about trying to find another Jornada to use as a permanent media server - randomly stream my MP3 collection to my stereo with it... It could also serve as a backup system to my existing 720.

How do you use your J72x?

RLW

Edited by rlw 2006-03-26 11:59 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-26 11:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Don't have a J72x (yet), but I like your taste in music, RLW.
 Top of the page
rlw Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 12:12 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CE Geek - 2006-03-26 11:58 PM

Don't have a J72x (yet), but I like your taste in music, RLW.

Oops! I forgot to mention that we listened to Little Feat, too! ;^)

RLW
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 11:57 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Since I got my iPAQ I haven't used it as much . But when I do use it I use it for writting reports and stuff, email and mainly IM. I haven't got around to setting up my devices either for remote admin on my servers, apart from VNC and RDC, anything else?

Nick

Edited by Nick Charlton 2006-03-27 11:58 AM
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 7:37 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

When my old laptop died, I needed a way to move my digital pictures from CF to my desktop. I had two options: fix or replace the laptop ($50-$1500); purchase a PCMCIA drive for the desktop ($150). Then I recalled a handheld computer I had discovered three years earlier and my first foray into eBay ensued. The machine was $1000 when I first discovered it in 1998. I bought an HP 660LX for $181 on eBay. Eventually, the Magic White Smoke escaped and I bought my J720.

In addition to moving pictures, I've used the J720 to code HTML for my website, keep track of my budget, and do some surfing while at Panera. I also sometimes use it to store information for travel, geocaching, etc. and of course I have a few names and numbers in "Contacts".
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 9:09 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Everything but doing dishes
 Top of the page
cmetz
cmetz Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 10:19 PM
#
Writing. Use the Jornada external keyboard which I found on eBay for the longer stuff and it works well. Then PockeMindmap for ideation on the run as well as dumps from MindManager on the office machine. Some Panera wireless surfing for lunch. TCPMP for music while working; uBook for a bit of relaxation reading (with the screen in portrait mode so that you can hold the Jornada like a book); and finally a bit of Conquest for CE (Risk) when frustrations build up and I just have to overpower something. Next best thing to my wife
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 11:27 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Reading and writing emails

Listening to music

Writing school work and papers then printing them out with my infrared printer.

Looking at pics on websites of things I wish I can afford to get

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 11:31 PM
#
H/PC Elite

if you want another J720 , let me know as I will let my other one go.

S/F,
CEYA!

Edited by Ceya 2006-03-27 11:44 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-28 3:35 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-03-27 6:09 PM

Everything but doing dishes

- but they do do Windows.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-28 10:10 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

my j728 does everything i needed from a PC a few years ago, still does, except for (very) big storage (2-300 GB or more) and a few other things, but it still does all the things i usually need: surfing, ebook reading, writing, to do lists, irc, IM (msn, icq, yahoo), map software, dictionaries, casual email stuff, and a few little things love its size and looks.

and HOW do i use it? i can take it out everywhere where i can sit down, on the bus/tram/train (usually i do sit down so no problems), at university, and it does well its job even as a laptop replacement when i'm not at home for 1 or a few days.

same applies to my sigmarion 3, i just can't choose which is better.

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-28 10:12 AM
 Top of the page
jonggolde Page Icon Posted 2006-03-28 11:20 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I also use my Jornada as back-up for Outlook 2003 on my desktop and notebook. If I reconfigure one of them, it's very easy to replace all my contacts and my schedule by synchronizing.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.240 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 12