x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Lost my 880 Hard-reset-button!

RJ99 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-28 3:39 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I installed the HPC2000 upgrade chip in the 880 ... & the next step was 'Do a hard re-set'. The manual shows a hard reset button about 5mm to the right of the battery connector (with the unit lying lid down & with the battery removed). Trouble is , on my unit the button ain't there. Nor can I find it anywhere else ...

It seems some 880's have a reset button in a different place to as shown in the manual. Anyone got a clue?

Edited by RJ99 2006-03-28 3:43 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-03-28 7:00 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Mine is within the battery compartment. If you have the unit lying upside down with the battery compartment facing you, it is a little round hold on very right side, mid-depth of the battery.

Rich
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-03-28 2:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Actually, the picture I posted is the reset for the MP800. I misread the post. The 880 reset button is just to the right of the battery connector as shown here. If the button is complete absent, such as it was broken off or damaged, just pull the main battery and let the unit run down and it will reset itself.

Edited by Rich Hawley 2006-03-28 2:19 PM
 Top of the page
RJ99 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-28 2:46 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2006-03-28 7:17 PM

Actually, the picture I posted is the reset for the MP800. I misread the post. The 880 reset button is just to the right of the battery connector as shown here. If the button is complete absent, such as it was broken off or damaged, just pull the main battery and let the unit run down and it will reset itself.

Rich: Not on mine it isn't - it just is not there! My son has an 880 and his reset button is in the right place, where you show it. On mine - it just ain't there - instead, to the right of the connector there's just unbroken metal.

On the other hand its does have the black hole on the right edge (which you said is where the 800's reset button is placed). I tried poking this to try and execute the reset but it doesn't seem to work. Still maybe that's it - although I see my son's unit also has a black hole tyher (maybe his unit has twio reset buttons?!!!).

By the way since beginning this saga I've established that the unit formerly belonged to someone in the NEC technical department - maybe reinforces the likelihood it may have been from an early production run with a few minor manufacturing glitches??
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-28 3:02 PM
#
H/PC Elder

wow, weird. Can you shine a light in where the switch should be to see if any remants of it are left?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-03-28 3:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I'm thinking that maybe somewhere along the production line, the same case was used for both the 800 and 880 units. Your's has metal showing? Maybe it is covering something...like a reset hole, or maybe it is as you said...early pre-production model. Bummer...

Rich
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-28 10:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Maybe someone put external parts together from an 800 and an 880?

Edited by CE Geek 2006-03-28 10:45 PM
 Top of the page
RJ99 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-29 4:01 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Anyway - I've retired into my Comfort Zone. ie: Removed the HPC2000 upgrade ROM & gone back to the original 2.11 - which works fine & thankfully no hard re-set was needed.

But I did have a go! Began disassembling the 880, using the Technical Manual to (in theory) guide me through ... removed the screen okay & began peeling off the keyboard - but hit a brick wall at one point - the area near where the battery is, seems to need either a special tool or Extreme Brute Force to prise open. At that point I chickened & reassembled everything, ... was much relieved (& not a little astonished!) to find it still worked.

I've read that if one does the ROM upgrade one ideally should also replace the back up battery with a slightly higher voltage one. Any folks intending to do the upgrade should be aware of this - replacing an 880 back up battery requires the unit to be taken apart & this isn't a trivial task - not one for us faint hearted and/or dextrously challenged folk.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 14