x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CE 2.0 Database Program?

1 2
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-06-08 10:53 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
John, mnay thanks for your trouble-shooting, but I can not replicate your success. If I put my three fields (Subject, Type, Notes) in double quotes, followed by a comma, the import of the CVS succeeds, but the opening of the newly-created database fails.

If I take out the fields' double quotes and commas, and merely double quote the Notes, the import succeeds and the database open. So the fields come through okay, but the Notes' text is still scattered into different entries, and I'm missing 95% of the entries.

Do you have Notes in your Contacts base? And if you do, what happens when you open the Contacts database with Data for Wince? What happens to your notes?

This is intriguing, and I appreciate very much your assistance,
Jake
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-06-08 11:46 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

How is the data organized in your CVS file?
Have you looked at the CVS file before importing it into DataCE?
Maybe a little fine tuning of the CVS file may be in order?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-06-08 12:53 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Well, I think that's what I've been doing--taking your advice and opening a CVS with desktop MS Excel '03, using the double quotes and setting up the fields, etc., and saving it back as a CVS. Does that count as fine-tuning, no? Or am I being dense and missing something?

Jake
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-06-09 7:20 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2006-06-08 12:53 PM

Well, I think that's what I've been doing--taking your advice and opening a CVS with desktop MS Excel '03, using the double quotes and setting up the fields, etc., and saving it back as a CVS. Does that count as fine-tuning, no? Or am I being dense and missing something?

Jake

Jake

As far as I'm concerened, if you're using a Handheld PC....you can't possibly be dense!

Anyway you are right about the Notes field being a mess....it does the same thing on my H/PC when I open Contacts with notes. It's to bad, because the software does work very well, if you simply want to create and maintain your own databases from scratch!

Not to open up another can of worms...but what about using Pocket Access?

Edited by Hurricane John 2006-06-09 7:21 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-06-09 2:38 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I'm sorry to hear that Note text doesn't work for you either, but you're right, it's a fine program as long as you create on it, rather than import.

I just looked into Pocket Access and certainly the price is right, but it lists itself as for PPC 2002 and above. Have you gotten it to work on a CE 2.0 device?

http://pda.handango.com/O2/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=X758479B1464DE1BEF5XC1E89DA4EC8B&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=86034§ionId=0&catalog=30&title=

Jake
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-06-10 7:44 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2006-06-09 2:38 PM

I'm sorry to hear that Note text doesn't work for you either, but you're right, it's a fine program as long as you create on it, rather than import.

I just looked into Pocket Access and certainly the price is right, but it lists itself as for PPC 2002 and above. Have you gotten it to work on a CE 2.0 device?

http://pda.handango.com/O2/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=X758479B1464DE1BEF5XC1E89DA4EC8B&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=86034§ionId=0&catalog=30&title=

Jake

Oh my - Please forgive me Jake...I went brain dead for a moment and forgot that you are running CE 2.0.

Pocket Access is just for HPC2000 and higher!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 56 - Executed queries : 16