x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CE 2.0 Database Program?

1 2
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-03-29 2:09 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I'm looking for a database program, one that can import cvs files, for a CE 2.0 MIPS device.

CEData of Micro-Cheng.com (a Psion lookalike) doesn't appear to work--it'll import a cvs file, storing it in \windows\database on the device, but it won't open it, and ultimately crahes the machine.

Are there any other programs available?

Thanks,
Jake
 Top of the page
zina Page Icon Posted 2006-06-02 2:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Do you still need this? If so, let me know, seems like I bought something for my HPC years ago and would try and find it if you still need it.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-06-02 3:38 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Thanks for your help. Do you remember the name of the program?

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-06-02 5:09 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I think PocketBase used to work with 2.0....found here: http://www.pocketpccity.com/software/hpc/PocketBase-1999-02-03-ce-hpc.html

Rich
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-06-07 8:46 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2006-03-29 2:09 PM

I'm looking for a database program, one that can import cvs files, for a CE 2.0 MIPS device.

CEData of Micro-Cheng.com (a Psion lookalike) doesn't appear to work--it'll import a cvs file, storing it in \windows\database on the device, but it won't open it, and ultimately crahes the machine.

Are there any other programs available?

Thanks,
Jake

Jake

I've had no trouble importing CSV files using ARMS version of Data for WinCE by Micro Cheng on my MP720 or MP900! After importing the CSV file, the imported file is stored in the Database folder (it doesn't automatically show up on your screen).....you have to use the File>Open function to view it with in Data for WinCE!

If you've already tried this and it hasn't worked, then maybe the MIPS exe file is corrupt.....did you try contacting the developer?

Edited by Hurricane John 2006-06-07 8:47 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-06-07 11:25 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

That's great that it works for you. I can import and open a very small CVS, but I have some databases made on Phatware HPC Notes (Lite Notes for J-720), running about 120K or so, that seem to import successfully into Databases, but when I try to open it, the machine (Sharp Mobilon 4100) crashes.

I have a J-720 and should try to replicate the problem to see if it's a Phatware conversion problem. But even if it does work on the J, I need the program for CE 2.0 MIPS. Have you ever gotten a sizeable database to open in Data for WinCE on a CE 2.0 device?

Jake
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-06-07 12:19 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2006-06-07 11:25 AM

That's great that it works for you. I can import and open a very small CVS, but I have some databases made on Phatware HPC Notes (Lite Notes for J-720), running about 120K or so, that seem to import successfully into Databases, but when I try to open it, the machine (Sharp Mobilon 4100) crashes.

I have a J-720 and should try to replicate the problem to see if it's a Phatware conversion problem. But even if it does work on the J, I need the program for CE 2.0 MIPS. Have you ever gotten a sizeable database to open in Data for WinCE on a CE 2.0 device?

Jake

Jake

I have a version of HPC Notes Lite 3.07, but it doesn't allow me to export to a CSV file? To answer your question....I've never tried to open anything the size of 120k!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-06-07 12:31 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Okay, further investigation tells me its the CVS's structure that causes the problem. In MIPS CE 2.0 Data for WinCE, I can successfully open the Contacts database. But CVS file, which I've reduced to 3 catagories--Subject, Type, Note--garbles the Note section, throwing the text every which way.

Per Cheng's instructions, I have the field names in the first line, I have tried putting them in double quotes (which doesn't work at all), and there's text in every line.

I can take these Phat-made CVS files and drop them into my Psion (Cheng's database program is modeled after the Psion's) without a single problem. But in the Velo 1 or Mobilon 4100, they're unreadable.

What kind of CVS file do you import and what criteria do you use when importing?

Lost, I am,
Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-06-07 12:45 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Re: HPC Notes Lite 3.07. Go File-Export-and from there, you can choose TSV or CSV.

Jake
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-06-07 12:48 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Jake

Do you have the freeware version of Ilium Software's KEEP TRACK (avialble on this website)...it allows you to export account information as a CVS file.

I have imported these K.T. CVS files without any problem. You might want to have a look at the file structure it creates.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-06-07 12:53 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

How much would KEEP TRACK allow for a single text catagory? For example, my Note section sometimes has a paragraph or more of text. Would that be a problem? Too bad about Date for WINce; it's the perfect program, except it doesn't work.

Jake
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-06-07 2:39 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2006-06-07 12:53 PM

How much would KEEP TRACK allow for a single text catagory? For example, my Note section sometimes has a paragraph or more of text. Would that be a problem? Too bad about Date for WINce; it's the perfect program, except it doesn't work.

Jake

Jake

I think you misunderstood me.....Keep Track is not a substitute for Data for WinCE, they serve completely different purposes. I just wanted you to try Keep Track, so you can export one of their accounts as a CVS file...and therby you can see what a CVS file structure that works, looks like!

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Edited by Hurricane John 2006-06-07 2:39 PM
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-06-07 2:46 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2006-06-07 12:45 PM

Re: HPC Notes Lite 3.07. Go File-Export-and from there, you can choose TSV or CSV.

Jake

Nope, v3.07 - File>Export lets you choose between .pdw .rtf or .txt that's it!!

EDIT: Jake - you are right, I was opening the notes and then trying to export them, but now I understand what you are saying. I'll try it and get back to you.

Edited by Hurricane John 2006-06-07 2:51 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-06-07 3:42 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yes, I was wondering how KEEPTRACK was going to work out But I'll try anything. Upon closer scrutiny, I discover that even when DataCE successfully opens the Contacts database, it still won't list the Notes section, so my problem is with a chunk o' text and DataCE's inability to eat it properly. Which brings me back to the beginning, I guess

And I see our parallel lines about HPC Lite's export capability. You were looking at the option within the note itself, and I was looking at the export of the entire database. I was unaware that one could save a note in rtf, glad to have that info.

Jake
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-06-08 7:59 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Jake

I was able to save the HPC notes file as a CVS file and import it into DataCE, but the file structure is a mess.

I then setup a database using MS Excel on my desktop by creating the database catagories for an Index of Newsletter Articles and it has to be setup up as follows (placement of quotes and commas are important)

"ARTICLE:","VOL:","ISSUE:","MONTH:","YEAR:","NOTES:"

Saved it as a CVS file and imported into DataCE - results

ARTICLE:
VOL:
ISSUE:
MONTH:
YEAR:
NOTES:

Then I input the data using the DataCE software. If you wanted to import data with the catagories, then all of the data would have to be structured as follows -

"ARTICLE:","VOL:","ISSUE:","MONTH:","YEAR:","NOTES:"
"MusicWise CE","1","2","January","2005","CD-DVD inventory software"
"Bolts & Nuts","2","3", "March","2006","Great strategy game!"
etc, etc

Results

ARTICLE: MusicWise CE
VOL: 1
ISSUE: 2
MONTH: January
YEAR: 2005
NOTES: CD-DVD inventory software
 Top of the page