x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

IBM Thinkpad 2635 AC Adapter Options

1 2
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-04-02 6:22 AM
#
I recently ordered an IBM Thinkpad 2635, but no AC adapter was included. The cheapest AC adapter I could find on eBay was about $40 after S&H, and that's more than I paid for the laptop itself! ($39 )

Basically, I was wondering if anybody has any experience with rigging other AC adapters to work with other stuff, and weither or not I can use a universal AC adapter(Like the kind you find at RadioShack). I have found this information on the adapter requirements:

Input: 100-240V AC 50/60Hz
Output: 16V up to 3.75A / 60W maximum
Connector: Barrel, Center +

I don't know a whole lot about watts and amps. Looking at the specifications, it dosen't look too uncommon, I just need to know which specs can be different without it blowing up!

Also, if the people at RadioShack are friendly enough, I might be able to just take the laptop down there and have them help me with it. I think they have a bunch adapters there to find out what adapter and plug type you need.
 Top of the page
jpfx Page Icon Posted 2006-04-02 3:24 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Almost any IBM power supply should do. Probably find one on ebay without too much bother.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-02 3:47 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I share your sentiments. $40 for a PS is crazy for a $39 laptop.

Hunt around goodwill and like stores. Many printers that use bricks have suitable voltage/amperage power supplies. Also look at battery chargers, like Rayovac and Energeizer. Their docks are powered by high current adapters.

I'm using the brick from a Rayovac rapid charger to power my Amitys. It cost $5 at goodwill.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-04-02 6:23 PM
#
Great ideas! Thanks. I will definitelty look around all the thrift shops for a suitale adapter. But I will make sure to get the specifications as close as possible.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-04 2:38 AM
#
H/PC Elder

CBC, I'll keep a watch when I'm cruising my thrift stores. When they're available they're only a couple of bucks.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-04-08 1:24 AM
#
Hey everyone!

Got my lappy today, when I opened it up, I attempted to power it on. It did, and at the IBM boot screen it said "Battery level critical! Powering down..." It didn't boot again, but probably because the battery hadn't been charged. Fair enough. From the looks of it, I think it's in working condition! Now I just need to get an AC adapter.

I looked in every possible place to look in this entire town, and nobody had an AC adapter that would work with it. While I was at the Salvation Army though, I found one that matched the voltage(16V) but the amps were only like 550mA(Supposed to have 2200mA). Like the young dumb protagonist I am, I decided to try it anyway. I inserted it into the slot, and when I hit the power switch, It started to turn on, but there was this medium loud buzzing noise emitting from it! I panicked and unplugged it, and it stopped.

I REALLY hope I did not fry the motherboard or something... Needless to say, I did not purchase the power adapter. I still have no way of finding out if it is dead or not. Could using a lower mA rating really damage the internal hardware? And do I still want to pursue looking for a power adapter for it?

Even if it is fried, I wouldn't get too broke up about it, as I only paid $39 for it. Thank goodness...

Who here thinks that I fried it? Who thinks it will be okay?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-08 1:40 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I don't think you killed anything. Where did the buzz come from? The adapter? If yes, I wouldn't worry.

Keep hunting, the thrift shops are so hit and miss. I waited a year to find a clean Canon 1000 printer for my folks. (I had bulk ink and many working spare tanks so it was a logical choice for them.) It's been 4 years and it all and all the tanks are still in fine condition.

I have another suggestion. Car parts shops sell 2-3a trickle chargers. They are usually compact and in my case, cheap. (My parts store sells them for $10-12 on when on sale.

They generally output 13.8-15vdc under load which is close enough for your IBM.

Edited by wallythacker 2006-04-08 1:44 AM
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-04-08 2:16 AM
#
Thank you for the suggestions!

I don't think it was just the adapter making the noise, It was clearly coming from the laptop... But, I didn't smell any smoke or melted plastic, so it should be okay...right?

I will definitely check out the local car parts shops, but what do these trickle chargers go to? Car batteries? I thought they all used alligator clips!

Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-04-08 4:14 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Sigh. It is a tricky science. Of everyone on this board, I am able to say that I did go to a RadioShack, get one of their adapters, have them plug it in behind the counter, and have the entire RadioShack staff nearly fall over in laughter when white smoke started spewing out of my Powerbook Duo 210. Although, it was not related to the power conversion. The plug itself was wrong, and sent out a positive and negative voltage at the same time. And since it was 21 volts, that was a big collision.

All I can say is be careful, double check, triple check, and maybe do a bit of praying.

-Yes, they do ask me if I am going to blow something up each time I walk into the store.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-08 4:24 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yes CBC, the car chargers do have alligator clips so you'll need to solder the proper plug on.

The weird buzz may have been the CCFL trying to start with so little current available. Again, I don't *think* I'd worry too much.

While you're at the thrift store don't forget to check things like cordless vacs, telephones, game consoles, anything that may use an adapter.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-04-08 5:42 AM
#
Sorry, but soldering is not in my best interests as my skill in soldering is minimal.

I checked everything at the thrift stores, and maybe IBM uses some standards that are common for their devices, but uncommon for other electonics. I even talked to all of the people behind the counter and they said they have never heard of a 16V adapter. I really think I need to get an adapter that was designed for it...

But that still dosen't mean I need to buy it online. IBM Thinkpads were pretty common laptops; I've probably seen them at thrift stores before, so, tomorrow(Today, technically, it's 2:30AM ) I will look in all of the thrift stores in Westport(Closest town to Sarin) for an IBM Thinkpad adapter.

By the way, if I ever get this thing working, I may have to rebuild the battery if it dosen't hold a charge. Most used laptop batteries that are this old don't hold a charge... That might prove to be an interesting project.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-08 6:37 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

CardBoardCrusader - 2006-04-08 7:24 AM

I REALLY hope I did not fry the motherboard or something... Needless to say, I did not purchase the power adapter. I still have no way of finding out if it is dead or not. Could using a lower mA rating really damage the internal hardware? And do I still want to pursue looking for a power adapter for it?

hmm, if it turned on fine but you just heard this sound it may have just been the screen or something. maybe the low amperage?
550 mA is NOT enough for a laptop. don't buy it.
get at least 1.5-2A!

and be sure the polarity matches too! that's very important too.

edit: my suggestion: find the right plug, and just get some generic 16V ac adapter or universal charger that can do 16V or close to it. then a little soldering but at least easier to do than finding the right adapter with the right plug..

Edited by cmonex 2006-04-08 6:39 AM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-08 7:03 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Soldering becomes a pre-requisite for refurbing battery packs properly. It's really easy once you're shown how.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-04-08 8:49 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Sure, just ask Rich - as soon as his scar heals.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-04-08 10:17 PM
#
Just got home from searching Westport and Vale for a suitable AC adapter. No luck at all. I even went to several computer shops that sold used laptops, and nobody had anything even CLOSE to what I needed!

This is getting ridiculous. I never imagined that finding this would be so difficult. I have given up hope on driving around for an AC adapter. I guess I will just have to order one off eBay, and suffer the intolerable wait like everyone else. I just found one,(a Buy It Now) for $4 + $11 S&H. $15 is pretty good, I guess.

All was not lost on the driving trip, though. I did happen to pick up an IBM thinkpad laptop case for it. It's really cool!

Anyway, thanks for all the help, sorry it couldn't have turned out better.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9