x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

IBM Thinkpad 2635 AC Adapter Options

1 2
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-04-09 12:35 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I believe you have having this serious issue because, well, you're asking for the wrong thing.

Never refer to an IBM by it's SKU part number, but it's MODEL number. A 2635 is a "IBM Thinkpad 380"

A IBM Thinkpad 380 uses the same power supply as the entire equivalent generation of the IBM laptops, the 02K6555

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=LWIK-3Z7JLB

Link showing IBM 390/390E AC adapter part number, 02K6555

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=TJEK-3QZVQL

Link showing IBM 380/380E/380Ex/380Xx AC adapter part number, 02K6555

--------------------------------------------------------

Which means you can, and should, use the same adapter as the much more common 390/600 series

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&satitle=ac+adapter+390e&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=10455&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

All of $9.99 BuyNow on eBay plus shipping, or your $4 + $11 ship.

Because you were asking for a "2635" AC adapter they were looking for that SKU part number exactly and not making the cross-references. Once you realize that a "380" is what you want you can cross-reference the SKU's and then realize that the "2635/380" uses the most common IBM AC adapter on the entire planet. Only use "2635" for part reference lookups, never use it to reference the machine in general discussions - say it is a "IBM 380(xx)" because that is how it was sold.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-04-09 7:53 PM
#
Yes! It says 380ED on it. Thanks, I never noticed the actual model number before...

But most of my difficulties weren't finding it online, but in thrift stores. Out of all the thrift shops in this entire area, I didn't find anything(Not just AC adapters) with IBM on it. OR anything that would come close to the specs...

Well, I just ordered an IBM Thinkpad 380ED compatible AC adapter on eBay, should be here in 2-3 business days.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-09 8:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Joy! You have a reasonable price adapter coming? Good news.

If for some weird reason the laptop isn't any good you'll have an adapter which you may need one day in the hpc world, so not all would be lost.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-04-13 8:14 PM
#
Good news bad news time...

Good news: The adapter arrived and works with the laptop!

Bad News: The LCD powers on, backlight works, but no image appears... Bad ribbon cable? I could've swore it worked when I first got it, but I think the car ride to Vale might have messed it up... Regardless, I plugged in my monitor to the VGA out on the back and it works. But someone has put a BIOS password on it, and the password reset jumper doesn't work because the password is on the hard drive!

More Bad News: I searched around, and it turns out that IBM said the only way to fix this problem is to pay to send it back to them for a new motherboard and hard drive! That's definitely going to cost more than the laptop itself...

Yeah, this really sucks...
 Top of the page
jpfx Page Icon Posted 2006-04-15 7:31 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

try 'merlin' or linky
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-04-15 2:24 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Replacing the HDD yourself is very inexpensive because the 380 came with small drives. Don't bother going through IBM, you'll pay too much. The 380 AFAIK is limited by the classic BIOS limitation of 8GB - so either get a small (very cheap) drive below that or use a larger (more expensive) drive with translation BIOS extender overlay or Win98 or later.

The display issue is another problem. I assume you have tried the mode switching betwen internal & external displays? If that's not it download the IBM Service Manual for the 380 series, disassemble the unit and check the display connections like you assume. It's really quite easy once you get the manual, free from IBM's web site.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.289 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 10