x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Alan Amenta
Alan Amenta Page Icon Posted 2005-01-08 3:26 PM
#

"Cannot start communications with the desktop computer. Remote networking could not start due to a critical error (error678)"

I get this messsage when I plug in the USB cable.

Just got my 900 from ebay this am. I've searched the NEC site and this forum for any reference to this message and came up empty handed. I'm running XP and active sync 3.7.1 build 4034. I don't know where to go from here. BTW I have no problem syncing my iPAQ.

Appreciate any help. Alan

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-08 4:28 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The dreaded 678 error. Which originally translates in to "No answer" on the RAS error code table.

Ok then,
as you're a new user starting out. Uninstall 3.7.1 and install 3.8.
Secondly download the NEC USB driver for 2000 or XP (Assuming that you are using 2000 or XP). That may assist you.

Always use the Get Connected Wizard to install the device in ActiveSync

On the host be sure you are using PC Link and not Remote Networking itself. To set the USB connection use Control Panel > Communications to set the PC Connection type to USB.

Be sure that you have a unique computer name:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0009.asp

hp also have a small, but not necessarily useful guide on this:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpia2302
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-01-08 8:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I already posted this on another site, but for others to read as well...

Alan, you can also get that message if you don't install the Mobilepro properly. Unlike older Mobilpros where you just plugged them into the serial cable and ran Activesync, the 900 series has a very specific step-by-step methodology if you want it to work.

First, you have to install the USB drivers...the latest is available from NEC's web site. The client USB port on the 900 will not be recognized if you don't. You have to do this before you ever hook up the USB cable to the Mobilepro, otherwise you are doomed to get the error you mentioned. Like most new desktop hardware you install to your computer, it seems to be important to restart the computer after installing the driver.

Then with the new driver installed, re-start your computer, make sure Activesync is running, and only now plug in your 900. It will be recognized by your desktop as "new hardware found" and will prompt you through the rest. Afterwards...you are all set. If you end up having to hard-reset the 900, because it locks up from some program or other problem, be sure to "delete the partnership" via the File menu of Activesync unless you want to change your device name to something else.

Let us know how you come out....

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-19 2:37 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

while i was searching for earlier topics about activesync, i found this one..

it isn't really true in every case. i couldn't install the driver before plugging the 900 in. then i plugged it in, XP asked me about new usb hardware, i did the standard installation procedure (selecting the driver myself instead of Windows), and everything was fine afterwards. i didn't need a restart either. strange, simple installation (without the 900) just didn't work for me.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8