x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New to Linux

tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2006-04-07 5:35 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I am stuck! I installed yahoo messenger on a Linux PC. I am using Debian by the way. Took me a while to figure how it works and still figuring it....

I managed to install the messenger and got it to start up and successfully logged in. And then I closed it. It refused to come up even after numerous clicks on the shell script...I installed and uninstalled a couple of times. I'm kind of going into this blind so it may be obvious to some but I need help!

There is an error message:
"Xlib: connection to ":1.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified
Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :1.0"

What do I have to do??

Edited by tech_girl 2006-04-07 6:03 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-04-07 11:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Are you sure that you are connected to the internet?

Edited by tenjeangosi 2006-04-07 11:02 PM
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-04-07 11:58 PM
#
Sounds like a problem with Gtk. Is it Gaim? Personally, Ubuntu is my favourite Debian flavor, and its easy to boot (pun intended!)!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-04-08 4:23 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

You need to install an older version of gtk, I suppose. I remember having problems similar, especially with AIM for Linux (which most people probably do not even know exists, it is so old).

Yahoo Messenger is ok for Linux, but I would recommend a better multi-client. They are kept more up to date, and tend to have less problems. Gaim is huge and intrusive, Kopete is better for screen space but requires KDE. But it's not like Gnome is good anymore anyways...
 Top of the page
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2006-04-08 12:15 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hey thanks for your replies. I am positive that I'm connected to the Internet. Because I was able to access my email account while trying to access Yahoo Messenger at the same time.

Where can I get an older version of GTK? What does this GTK do?

Which multi client would you recommend, ProgramSythesiser out of the three? I recalled seeing Gaim and Kopete on the desktop.

But what I couldnt understand was if I need an older version of GTK, why in the first place was I able to get to the messenger login page and successfully logged in and now I cant? Thats puzzling. I didnt do anything else prior to this "disappearing act"....
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-04-08 6:28 PM
#
Gaim is wonderful, we use it at work!
 Top of the page
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2006-04-10 9:23 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Ok I have downloaded Gaim and tried installing it. But the Kpackage shows some dependencies. So I tried to get all the library files from debian.org. However some of the files required a certain version which are still deemed as unstable or experimental. Do I go ahead and install the unstable or experimental version?? Thanks.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2006-04-11 12:16 AM
#
H/PC Elite

tech_girl - 2006-04-07 4:35 AM

There is an error message:
"Xlib: connection to ":1.0" refused by server
Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :1.0"

What do I have to do??

I think your problem *may* be related to the desktop your specifing for X. unless you have some dual head setup or other weird X setup, $DISPLAY$ should point to ":0", not to ":1". try doing this in an xterm

========== beggining ==========
export DISPLAY=":0"
(your IM client command goes here)
============ end ==============

try to see if it works
 Top of the page
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2006-04-11 3:41 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I re-installed yahoo messenger and it still doesnt load up but this time, the error message shows this:

==============
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
==============

Display now shows 0 now although I did not execute the export DISPLAY=":0" yet.

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9