x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Bill_Storey
Bill_Storey Page Icon Posted 2005-01-09 6:41 PM
#
Does anyone know of a webpage that specifically addresses ad hoc networking between a HPC 2000(MP790) and Windows XP Home edition (Compaq Presario 2800 laptop)?

Yesterday I had both units seeing each other, to the point where I was able to slowly surf the web with the MP790 while connected but when I attempted to enable file and print sharing, and to enable syncing via wifi I changed some settings and lost connection. Now I can't figure out what I did.

I am not really worried about sharing an internet connection (28.8 K dialup out in the country) but would really like to be able to share files and printer, and to sync through wifi.

I thought I understood the basics of networking, but the last few days have shown me that I am not real bright when it comes to networking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

edited to add some specifics and to clean up my terrible spelling

Edited by Bill_Storey 2005-01-09 6:49 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-09 7:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Bill,

Welcome to the forum.

We do need to get WiFi guides up in the CESD for users. The trouble with it is that it is all down to the drivers, and every driver is different and supports different options through different means and in different ways.

It is all very convoluted.

Which WiFi adapter are you using, what is your Access point?
Are you using WEP, WPA, got the SSID. What driver versions are you using?

Synching over the network is pretty cut and paste when you have the connection working OK. Please use the article in the support section to help you with that particular process. The guides we have on that are pretty comprehensive.

If you can provide us with as much info as possible, we will see what we can do to help.
 Top of the page
Bill_Storey
Bill_Storey Page Icon Posted 2005-01-09 7:45 PM
#
Chris,

Thank you for replying so quickly.

I am attempting an ad hoc (computer directly to computer) wifi setup. I didn't think I would need a router or whatever else, seeing as how I am on a very slow dialup connection and really don't see surfing the web on the MP 790 at home when a faster laptop is available. I am basically interested in file and printer sharing, and syncing via wifi. However, I take the MP with me everywhere, and WOULD like to be able to use it wirelessly at my college, my daughter's school (during those LONG boring school functions while waiting on my daughter's part of the function), at my doctor's office while waiting on my appointment, etc.

On the Compaq Presario I am using a Belkin F5D6020 ver. 2 pcmcia card. I don't know the driver version. On the NEC MP790 I am using a D-Link DCF-650W CF card. The driver version is 0.9.5. Both cards are using the drivers that came on the install CDs with the cards.

I have not attempted WEP (or any other of those acronyms) but have set the same SSID in both units.

Bill
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-09 7:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

OK,

0.9.5 is the current driver build - it always worries me when they don't get to 1.0.

I do not know the card myself. Have you got it setup in the driver settings in Ad-hoc more or is it in inrastructure mode?

Also how have you got the XP system setup. Have you run the XP configuration wizards, the Network Setup Wizard and so on to get the DHCP server running.
You will need that running before you can get the Adapter to automatically setup the protocol layer of the link.

Also be sure to be close to the unit and not to change power or tranciever strength levels.
 Top of the page
Bill_Storey
Bill_Storey Page Icon Posted 2005-01-09 8:17 PM
#
The MP790 is set to 802.11 ad-hoc. The Compaq is set to Ad-Hoc.

I ran the XP Networking Wizard, but have changed some settings, so I don't know if what it did for me is still functional.

Apparently, the MP is transmitting, because the Belkin Wireless LAN monitoring utility is receiving but is not transmitting.. However the D-Link monitoring utility is showing the highest possible Link Quality and Signal Level.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-01-10 7:31 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Right, by the sounds of it the physical layer is established (Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away - sorry, being more obtuse than usual there), and possibly the data layer.

You will need to allocate TCP/IP addresses for these connections. WinXP will try to do this automatically using an autoconfigured private (non-routable) TCP/IP address. You'll need to configure your HPC to have an IP address in the same subnet that WinXP autoconfigs.

Hope this makes some sense.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-10 8:47 AM
#
H/PC Elder

chiark - 2005-01-10 5:31 AM

Right, by the sounds of it the physical layer is established (Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away - sorry, being more obtuse than usual there), and possibly the data layer.

You will need to allocate TCP/IP addresses for these connections. WinXP will try to do this automatically using an autoconfigured private (non-routable) TCP/IP address. You'll need to configure your HPC to have an IP address in the same subnet that WinXP autoconfigs.

Hope this makes some sense.

Just in case its not clear, it means, you have to check your ip addr on your hostpc and make sure the subnet on your MP790 is the same as that for your hostpc.

eg, HOSTPC IP 192.168.0.3 SUBNET: 255.255.255.0
Set your ip/subnet on your MP790 as
IP: 192.168.0.X where X is 0~255, not 3 and not in use already
eg 192.168.0.4
SUBNET: 255.255.255.0

Sometimes WinXP may choose something more sexy for the ip and subnet like
IP:169.254.x.y SUBNET 255.255.0.0

Then you can set your MP790 to IP:169.254.x1.y1 SUBNET 255.255.0.0

Am I helping to make things clearer or worst?
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-01-10 10:15 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

That is clearer - yes! I was being obtuse and terse as usual
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-10 10:55 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

While Chiark and Snappy! are accurate, they may be confusing the point by asking you to jump into manual assignment at this stage.

XP has all the bits for self DHCP and limited DNS services (Self allocation of network resources). For now, I suggest you go through the XP SP2 Wireless Connection and Network Setup wizards.

I also recommend that you get vxUtil on your device so you can keep an eye on IP information:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/software/vxutil-1-5-8/

Again, please be sure to go through the Network, Sharing, Printing and Access guides in the CESD.
 Top of the page
Bill_Storey
Bill_Storey Page Icon Posted 2005-01-10 2:41 PM
#
C:AMIE, Chiark and Snappy, I really appreciate the help that each of you are trying to give me.

OK, I ran the Connection and Network Wizards again, and apparently the 2 units are talking to each other again, as I am able to get on the internet again wirelessly with the MP790.

(1) How do I setup file and print sharing correctly without damaging this connection? I messed up the first connection I had when I tried to enable this the first time.

(2) How do I ActiveSync over the WiFi connection? File and print sharing is much more important to me than wifi sync, as I can still sync via IRDA if necessary, but I would like to do both if possible.

Bill

edited to correct my spelling again

Edited by Bill_Storey 2005-01-10 2:50 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-10 2:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Please go back over what I have said twice now on this.

Top of the page
Bill_Storey
Bill_Storey Page Icon Posted 2005-01-10 3:01 PM
#
OK, I will try to work from the articles from the CSED. I appreciate the help.

Bill
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9