x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Simple cellular phone question

1 2
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-04-10 8:54 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

After avoiding it all these years, I finally bought a cellular phone. One of the cheap simple ones using the Nextel/Sprint network. It says I can receive pictures that are part of a multimedia message.

Here is my question: Can a person with internet access send a message to a cellular phone?

Rich

Top of the page
hitch Page Icon Posted 2006-04-10 10:23 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I use (10 digit cell number no dashes)@teleflip.com for sending email to many cell phones where I do not know what their carrier is. It usually works if the person has had the cell number for awhile. Because of all of the people changing cell carriers and transporting numbers some do not go through and you need to use the formats at the bottom. You may have people without a text plan giving you some grief for sending them a text message, be ready for that. All cell carriers have a server you can send your message to in email format and that will always go through.

T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net
Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com
Cingular: phonenumber@cingularme.com
Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com
Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com

Top of the page
hitch Page Icon Posted 2006-04-10 10:24 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

dup

Edited by hitch 2006-04-10 10:26 AM
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-04-10 10:32 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Rich Hawley - 2006-04-10 8:54 AM

After avoiding it all these years, I finally bought a cellular phone.

Rich

........and thus armageddon begins!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-04-10 12:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I figured that as I begin my travels next week there is a good possibility that my car will be sucked into the air by an alien spacecraft and I wanted to be able to call my in-laws and tell them what it was like....thanks hitch for the info.

Plus I felt so alone being the only one on the road driving and paying attention to what I was doing without having one of those things stuck to their ear...

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-10 2:37 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

WOW... finally a cell phone? unbelievable.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-11 3:14 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I'm in the same boat as Rich. Other than talking on a phone I don't know much about cells

But with a Tungsten and Mpx200 I can put an earbud in each ear and be TWICE as dangerous as anyone else on the road.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-04-11 8:19 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

By the way hitch..thanks for the info. The Nextel email address worked great! I found out I can send an email from my computer with or without graphics and it goes to my text message area on the phone. I got one of those free WalMart special phones, a Motorola i265. Not the fanciest, but it was free and it is only $40 a month for free-incoming calls, 300 minutes anytime, and free weekend and evenings.

I feel like a young kid now...wo wo!

Rich
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-11 8:36 AM
#
H/PC Elder

So how come there's no spam on cells then? It looks pretty easy for spammers to blast the ever loving cr*p out of cell users.
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-04-11 5:37 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Shhhh..... wally, don't give them any ideas!

I have a "ghetto" phone, as my girlfriend calls it. It is five years old and can receive txt messages, but it can't send. I go through the web portal for cingular, sprint and verizon as needed.
 Top of the page
Britty
Britty Page Icon Posted 2006-04-12 8:37 AM
#
I have a Nokia 3310. It is just a basic phone. It can send and receive SMS, make and recieve calls, it has a simple LCD matrix display and some simple extras. That's all I care about in a mobile phone.

My wife has a phone that I am sure has more processing power than my HPC. Full colour display with background wallpaper, internet capability, fax, email, SMS text and chat, still and motion display camera which also works in video phone mode, voice recorder, calculator, massive contact listing and detailed description fields for each of the contacts. It also has an alarm clock, bluetooth connectivity and plays MP3's and other sound files.

Sometimes I make fun and ask if it can make and receive phone calls?

Edited by Britty 2006-04-12 8:42 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-04-12 10:42 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I appreciate that Britty...and I hear you...sometimes too much is too complicated. As it was, I kept hitting buttons trying to figure out how to use the thing and set the preferences to what I wanted...and I accidently kept dialing up the Nextel assistance operator. Who know what else I might have accidently paid for or installed on the the device while I was going crazy pushing buttons.

Does the word hierachial menu Hell mean anything...

They really should have a usb cable that you can just plug into your phone and some software that lets you set up the thing on your desktop computer the way you want to use it...eliminating all the extra crappola you don't want.

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-12 3:00 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

haha, my phone (bsquare phh) is quite basic regarding the phone part (but OK functionality, for me, i don't need the extras). you sure can make a call with it and it will even be decent if you use the included headset but you get a full hpc (keyboard sucks tho) with it. isn't that great?!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-04-12 3:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Hey...I wonder if I can take the sim chip from my phone and insert it into my Ipaq 5555....hmmmm
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-12 5:11 PM
#
H/PC Elder

You should be able to move SIM chips around if they are the same carrier.

I am trying to learn about my new smartphone and it's driving me buggy. Menu hell. I haven't figured out why many CE programs (media player, contacts of all things) don't work when I remove the SD card. I thought everything on a SP was installed to internal ram.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 11