x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Rigging up a simple WebBrowser using htmlview.dll

[Frozen]
Frozen
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-10 9:21 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi all,

I finally installed all the eVC tools and HPC2000 SDK. Found that there is a sample app using the htmlview.dll for html page browsing. I'm going to modify it to do simple web browsing as the sample only takes a local file for input.

What I want to make sure is that I am not reinventing the wheel. Is there a slightly more sophiscated control than htmlview.dll freely available already?

I am going to use InternetConnect etc apis to query websites and get back their html data and spit that to htmlview.dll Once I get that working, I will write a simple parser (when are parsers simple???) to preprocess the html code and include the references to myjavascript.js ... will that work?

I found that currently, standard hotmail actually fails on links pointing to javascripts that calls a G(...) function. I reckon that it is inside one of the dynamic .js files generated by hotmail. (Why must they make things sooo complicated!!)

If I just cut and paste the URL link from the G(...) function and append it to the current URL ... eg ...
Original URL: http://by101fd.bay101.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/HoTMaiL?curmbox=00000000...769d68

link that is not working in HPC2k
<a href="javascript:G('/cgi-bin/getmsg?msg=......msgread=1&imgsafe=y'" ... >

modified link:
<a href="/cgi-bin/getmsg?msg=......msgread=1&imgsafe=y" ... >

I could do the above or I could include the actual .js files so that the G(...) function would work and links in Hotmail would work fine in HPC2000 ...

I did some simple testing today and before I start full swing tomorrow, any comments and feasibility views?

And naturally, when I get to alpha, I'll put it up here so that any of you folks willing, can help to test.. and it will be FREEWARE ... a temporary patch for PIE before something really good comes along
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-11 12:26 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

YEEAAAAAAA!!! Awesome! But isn't using the same html.dll somewhat doing the same thing as ftx browser? We would need a whole seperate base for a totally new web browser. But thank you for starting something! I happen to just not seem to have time to learn to program yet...GOOD WORK!!!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-11 7:24 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Good on you for looking into it.

As PS points out, it wont offer you anything broadly expansive. Certainly nothing that PIE4.01 SP2 doesn't give (you as PIE runs from MSHTML). Which is a 2MB parser.
The ROM integrated htmlview.dll is around 8.5KB

There is a thread on the forum already that mentions htmlview:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=208&posts=11

htmlview.dll is a library designed to allow for HTML coded dialogues in applications, kind of a micro parser with the dynamic support that html can offer.

It'll give you excellent experience in how it works though, so keep at it. Perhaps you can code it up to spec.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-11 8:47 AM
#
H/PC Elder

gee ... thanks guys!

Well ... yes and no. This simple WebBrowser will be somewhat similar to ftxBrowser in that it uses the same htmlview thingie. No in that ftxbrowser works on the presentation itself, ie usability improvement such as tabs etc. My aim for this simple browser is to add a layer of parsing so that javascripts such as that I mentioned above gets processed correctly before loading the html source into the htmlview control itself.

So this app will be a prove-of-concept. If this parsing works, then we could see how we want to use this parser module and maybe even send it to ftxbrowser folks to incorporate it in?

One thing though, the first cut of the parser may not be too generic, so I will only "make-it-work" for hotmail (which would be great for many a users anyway!) and if there is enough hands and legs onboard, we can extend the parser to be more generic and handle common syntax related problems that PIE4.01 cannot understand.

Wish me Luck!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-11 11:16 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Good luck!
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-23 3:44 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Snappy! - 2005-01-11 7:47 AM

gee ... thanks guys!

Well ... yes and no. This simple WebBrowser will be somewhat similar to ftxBrowser in that it uses the same htmlview thingie. No in that ftxbrowser works on the presentation itself, ie usability improvement such as tabs etc. My aim for this simple browser is to add a layer of parsing so that javascripts such as that I mentioned above gets processed correctly before loading the html source into the htmlview control itself.

So this app will be a prove-of-concept. If this parsing works, then we could see how we want to use this parser module and maybe even send it to ftxbrowser folks to incorporate it in?

One thing though, the first cut of the parser may not be too generic, so I will only "make-it-work" for hotmail (which would be great for many a users anyway!) and if there is enough hands and legs onboard, we can extend the parser to be more generic and handle common syntax related problems that PIE4.01 cannot understand.

Wish me Luck!

How is that coming?
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-03-23 3:57 PM
#
H/PC Elite

What are you programming it in? Visual Basic or Visual C? If its VB I have a somewhat limited but hopefully usefull knowlage. Count me in to help if its VB!

Nick
 Top of the page
Anonymous
Anonymous Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 6:43 AM
#
Hi,

Has there been any advance in this project, i need to find a way to use Hotmail on my Jornada 680, but i keep getting the same problem mentioned.
 Top of the page
iceman
iceman Page Icon Posted 2006-05-22 12:32 AM
#
can you suppy more info to how to append the file??

that would be great thx
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-22 8:08 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Thread Closed

Please don't dredge prehistoric threads. Rules: http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=2
 Top of the page
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 1.687 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9