x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

FS: CAN: INFO Walmart clearing out Flash memory

1 2 3
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-16 1:18 AM
#
H/PC Elder

My Walmart is clearing out flash memory of all types from 128mb-1gb.

I got (two) 1gb Lexar CF for $34US/each. Not bad, I had to haggle as they wanted $46US each. I also got a couple of 256mb SD for $15US each, and a 256 CF for the same. YMMV depending on stock and their willingness to barter.

I guess they're clearing out smaller cards to restock with high-speed 1gb and above. I wonder if Walmart will start to carry MDs? I hope so. And I hope the prices are reasonable. Heck, if 2gb cards are $46US I'll have some returning to do. I'd better keep my packages in case.
 Top of the page
alphacrumb
alphacrumb Page Icon Posted 2006-04-16 2:06 AM
#
wallythacker is hereby proclaimed "King of the Bargain Hunters".

As for me, Walmart, here I come!
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-04-16 5:51 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

You were able to haggle at a wallmart? I have bargained with small mom-and-pop stores, but Wallmart?

Edited by Rocketman 2006-04-16 6:46 AM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-16 4:02 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Thanks for the kudos. Yep, haggle at Walmart. I've only had luck with clearance stuff but that's better than nothin'.

I love to scrounge for deals
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-04-17 2:12 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Rocketman - 2006-04-16 2:51 AM

You were able to haggle at a wallmart? I have bargained with small mom-and-pop stores, but Wallmart?

Trouble is, Wal-Mart's putting the mom-and-pops out of business.
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-04-17 6:00 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I saw Fry's had a two-day sale with 2GB CF cards for $49.99. I was tempted to get one, but I don't NEED it and the tax check is 6 weeks away.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-17 6:13 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Holy crow, 2gb CF cards for $50?

Oh how I wish I lived on the west coast sometimes
There's only 2 or 3 Fry's stores from the midwest to the east coast
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-04-17 6:28 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

...but on the west coast, it probably wouldn't be only $49.99. ;+) JK, the markup on the west coast for cost of living is probably offset by the transportation costs to the midwest, so it all balances in the end.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-17 6:31 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

KBoyKool - 2006-04-18 12:00 AM

I saw Fry's had a two-day sale with 2GB CF cards for $49.99. I was tempted to get one, but I don't NEED it and the tax check is 6 weeks away.

geee can you order one for me? i'm sure they wont ship here hehe. it would be soooo nice to have a cf at that price. any tax on it? or how do you mean? (not very familiar with the us tax system except that it is sure better than ours. )
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-04-17 11:14 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The deadline for filing income tax forms (for 2005 income) was today. Each year, these forms have to be postmarked by April 15 for the previous year's earnings, interest, capital gains, etc. (unless, like this year, that date falls on a weekend). Most employers withhold a portion of your income each time you get a paycheck and send this money directly to the government on your behalf. The withholdings are based wild formulae, which for whatever reason, are never all that close. From January 31 to April 15, Americans then calculate what they owe for the year, compared to what they or their employers have already paid. If you owe more, then you must send in the difference with your tax forms. If you overpaid, the government sends you a refund check. Merchants prey on those folks who are in the latter category--some even offer to complete your tax forms free of charge, as long as you spend your refund with them. Why would you pay for this service? The tax laws, and likewise the forms, are anything but simple, so accountants are often hired to complete the forms correctly, so as to avoid penalties and fines.

Simple, huh? :+D Of course, everything can be done electronically, too, so money can be deposited in your bank account without sending an actual check. Such is the case for me, but "tax check" has come to mean any refund from taxes.

If it sounds complicated, then it's probably because the government just wants to keep a lot of accountants and attorneys employed. (That was said tongue-in-cheek, so no offense intended to those professions!)

Your taxes are likely higher than those in the US, or at least I would guess they are. However, I seriously doubt our "system" is better.

If anyone is confused after reading this, you're not alone. I'm sure millions of Americans still haven't figured it out, even though they will be past due in 45 minutes.

Of course, the sale at Fry's is now over, too. Their prices online often deviate significantly from in-store prices. And yes, cmonex, sales tax would apply in addition to the price I noted. It's what our friends in Canada (and some other Commonwealth nations) call the GST. However, the US does not have a GST. Rather, states and local municipalities levy their own sales tax, so it varies from location to location. That can be even more confusing!

Edited by KBoyKool 2006-04-17 11:20 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-17 11:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I hear horror stories of the IRS stealing peoples houses, tossing them in jail, or just generally screwing them over for owing a few bucks in back taxes.

Gues what? In Canada you *do not* have to file if you don't owe anything! Wild eh?

Anyway, I'd like to deal with mom n pop computer stores but we don't have any left We have a few scam artists with crazy prices so I ignore them. (Can you say $125 for a 1gb CF card?)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-04-18 5:29 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-04-17 8:58 PM
Anyway, I'd like to deal with mom n pop computer stores but we don't have any left

See my post above.

Re: 2 GB CF for $50 at Fry's
Yep, that was the price out here on the West Coast as well. I wanted to mention it, but y'all beat me to it.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-18 12:10 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

KBoyKool - 2006-04-18 5:14 AM

Your taxes are likely higher than those in the US, or at least I would guess they are. However, I seriously doubt our "system" is better.

If anyone is confused after reading this, you're not alone. I'm sure millions of Americans still haven't figured it out, even though they will be past due in 45 minutes.

lol do not worry, our system isn't simpler. it is similar except that there's a general vat on everything which is 20%

then there are a lot of other taxes, they'll take almost half of what you earn.. not including the above vat, etc...

of course you can get some stuff back but not much..

so that's why i said your system must be better.. it can't be worse.. lol
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-19 11:33 PM
#
H/PC Elder

We have a combined sales tax varying from 8%-22% depending on the province you live in. This tax is even on some houses, shudder. Ontario sales tax rate is 15%. It always bugs me to hear municipal and provincial goverments crying poor with tax rates so high.

Anyhow, I'm off to the other Walmart in town tomorrow to see if I can't haggle some more
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-04-20 12:03 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Those are good deals at wall mart, but no offense to anyone, but I really cannot stand wall mart, unless i could buy it online.. I smells weird at the places that i have been to
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 11