x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Avaya wlan wireless card and HP620lx

1 2
Andrew
Andrew Page Icon Posted 2006-04-18 10:29 AM
#
Hi

Yep it's a CE2.00 device

Er um EPOC/Psion (have 43 machines) I find is far better even wifi setup was better and fully java capable.

Have to say I prefer EPOC/Psions but was given the HP620LX so wanted to get some use out of it. First call had to be WIFI for net access etc but am disappointed with lack of available software would love to get more but very little around. Some good mapping software would be good(not Pocket streets) and anything else I can get my hands on.

regards
Andrew
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-04-18 11:14 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
There was a gentleman recently who couldn't get his CE 2.0 Sharp Mobilon to work with his non-Proxim Orinico card. Let's hope your specs get him on the right road.

43 Psions--amazing, and I can understand your reservations about CE 2.0. But at least you can go wireless with it, and that's what stopped me from going completely over to the 5mx/Revo. The Psions that could go wireless were physically too big for my needs. But EPOC's OS is obviously a good one.

For CE software, keep checking this site: http://communitypage.net/hpc/ Its owner will be updating shortly and a lot of users here are already volunteering long-ago software. CE 2.0 won't compete with EPOC's third-party software, but HPC Pro and certainly HPC 2000 software levels the playing field.

Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-18 12:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Andrew - 2006-04-18 4:29 PM

Hi

Yep it's a CE2.00 device

Er um EPOC/Psion (have 43 machines) I find is far better even wifi setup was better and fully java capable.

Have to say I prefer EPOC/Psions but was given the HP620LX so wanted to get some use out of it. First call had to be WIFI for net access etc but am disappointed with lack of available software would love to get more but very little around. Some good mapping software would be good(not Pocket streets) and anything else I can get my hands on.

WOW 43 psions! i have only six including the old 3a.. lol, lucky guy.

EPOC is certainly much better than CE 2.0! 2.11 is about equal (better in some stuff, much worse in others), and hpc2000 beats epoc in everything i use my pda's for. this means there are things that epoc may still be better at, especially stability, that is what epoc really excels in.

so, don't expect too much from CE2, it is a very old OS, from 1997. epoc release 5 is from 1999, so if you really want something else other than epoc, try hpc2000 or cenet. if you're ok with epoc, no need to switch. i needed bluetooth, that's why i made the switch to CE..
 Top of the page
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-04-20 3:41 AM
#
Hi

Thanks Jake for the site heads up..Great little gem.

As to the EPOC comment(Sorry it's off topic) Hmmm haven't found anything yet I can't use it for I have a WinCE 1 device Compaq c140 a jornada 680e a HP620lx a Ipaq 3850 and a medion PNA100 plus 5 palms but still keep going back to EPOC for mobile computing I simply find wince in any form lacking.

I know those here are HPC wince fans and I am please to have had the help I have had it has made a device I have useful. So my apologies if any offence has been caused by my EPOC/PSION stance.

kindest regard
Andrew
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-04-20 8:57 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Hi, Andrew,

Nah, you haven't offended anybody. Many HPCers are former--or present--Psion users, so they know what a good machine it is. In fact, I started with a Jornada 720 and THEN joined the Psion party, albeit belatedly. I use a Jornada/Mako tandem via PlBeam, and it's a great combination.

For software for your own HPC device, you might also check out Henri Spagnolo's site:

http://www.yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx/j7xx.html

First off, he's a Psion user (wrote MenuS5 and others) and secondly, even though the vast software list on his site is Jornada-centered (OS: HPC 2000), a significant number of the authors have CE 2.0 versions of their programs.

At any rate, it might make you drool for a 720, a far more flexible machine than the HP620LX, and whose ebay price has become quite reasonable these days.

Best,
Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-20 9:32 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Guest - 2006-04-20 9:41 AM

As to the EPOC comment(Sorry it's off topic) Hmmm haven't found anything yet I can't use it for I have a WinCE 1 device Compaq c140 a jornada 680e a HP620lx a Ipaq 3850 and a medion PNA100 plus 5 palms but still keep going back to EPOC for mobile computing I simply find wince in any form lacking.

I know those here are HPC wince fans and I am please to have had the help I have had it has made a device I have useful. So my apologies if any offence has been caused by my EPOC/PSION stance.

no worries, just as Jake said

i'd prefer the psion 5mx to all these devices you mentioned here. well, maybe the 680 is a tough decision because it can have bluetooth and wifi and is colour and has a better keyboard BUT has an unstable and slow OS... so i'd say equal there.. so, maybe i already told you but, for me, only the jornada 720 (and newer hpc's) could beat it.

long live EPOC & CE

Edited by cmonex 2006-04-20 9:35 AM
 Top of the page
rba1204
rba1204 Page Icon Posted 2006-07-17 9:37 PM
#
C:Amie - 2006-04-17 4:46 PM

I'll, er, take that as a no then.

The 4.0x driver name is: WVLAN46.dll

Hi sorry to come in, but do you have the driver name for DWL-650 Rev P (D-Link) my HP620LX is asking me the driver name as well.
I already load in the CAB program from HPC Factor.

Thanks
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-17 9:40 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

which cab is it? name of it? exact origin of it?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 25