x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

how to double the battery life of your bsquare - two new hacks!

cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-19 8:26 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

the first hack will enable you to use a lower backlight this is sufficient except when you're out in bright sunlight. (if you're outside but it isn't a sunny day, the dim backlight will still be enough!!)
(why couldn't the manufacturer allow the user to set any backlight level???)

the second hack will enable you to use the phone even if the battery discharges below 35%

will soon post a little app to set the backlight without the need to soft reset, very cool. (needs to have the user interface cleaned up. it is all hungarian at the moment hahaha. nah, it wasn't me who wrote it. i discovered only the registry hack.)

second hack is easy but i already discovered a little side effect and there may be more, still untested at the moment. the known side effect is that if you do a soft reset, you will need to turn on the phone module manually (it takes just one click...)
will probably have an app to set this too, but until that just go to the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/init
and there delete Launch71 (batterynotify) key.
soft reset and woo hoo!
that's all!

btw a few results...

with the new dim backlight and cpu running at 200 mhz (cpu underclock can be set in control panel) a meagre 1300 mAh battery (not the original battery!) discharged by only 30%, i.e. 70% of the charge was still available after 1 hr 16 mins of continuous use of gprs.
with full backlight the phone and gprs was already disabled after the same 1 hr 16 mins.
if you do both hacks, this 1300 mAh battery may last 4 hours of gprs depending on cpu settings. the original 1860 mAh battery will fare even better (5-6 hours of continuous gprs?).
double this result again and that will be the battery life with dim backlight without using the phone and gprs.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-19 8:51 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

edit: after further testing i think the phone will be off after a soft reset only if the battery is low (i mean below 35%). so something still checks for the charge level but not really seriously as you can turn it on manually.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-04-20 1:52 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Nice work cmonex. Now I really wish the PHH had a tri-band version
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-20 2:56 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Me too Tak. I was disappointed to find the PHH was only of use in Europe It's got a nice easy to read screen like my W and all the features of a SP. Shame.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-04-20 4:41 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Nice work. The PHH is an amazing piece of work, that is hampered mainly by its lack of reasonable battery life. The other issue is of course its lack of band compatibility with US GSM providers.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-20 7:54 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rocketman - 2006-04-20 10:41 AM

Nice work. The PHH is an amazing piece of work, that is hampered mainly by its lack of reasonable battery life. The other issue is of course its lack of band compatibility with US GSM providers.

yeah it was hampered by that but now it is no longer a real problem especially if you still have the original battery with full capacity (i do have the original but the capacity is not the best.. so these hacks are very handy for me)..

anyway now you all see why it is good to be an european!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 11:54 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

no one interested?

my bsquare is so much better now with these hacks..
 Top of the page
betamax72
betamax72 Page Icon Posted 2006-05-20 10:52 AM
#
I'm interested in the first hack. Where to get it?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-20 11:08 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Nice find cmonex! Great job
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-20 11:57 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey, glad to see finally someone wants the hack.

will post it in the evening, as the application is in hungarian now, need to change it to english.

C:Amie: thanks
 Top of the page
flanker2 Page Icon Posted 2006-05-23 4:38 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

cmonex

I am a newbie PHH user - only got mine on Friday last week. However love the little thing, indeed I am posting this message from it whilst travelling on a train in the UK whilst using Orange GPRS!

Is patch (1) on your website (sorry I couldn't find it if it is)?

Great work anyway and thanks for all the othe PHH / CE 4.1 relevant post in these forums.

I don't suppose you could point me at a good PHH newbie web site or indeed just a genereal 4.1 resource (in addition to reading this forum top to bottom !)?

J
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-23 5:21 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey. glad to hear you love the PHH

i just uploaded the brightness hack: http://izemize.fw.hu/BackLightChange_ENG.exe

to avoid problems from download corruption, the downloaded exe must be 5632 bytes.

there are three pre defined profiles. if you need more we'll make some setting where you can set any profile you'd like.

the first one is for the low backlight.

second one is full backlight & turns off after 5 seconds of unactivity.

third one is always full backlight.

enjoy...

there's no PHH website but i planned to make one, just didn't get too much help, however i still plan on starting it until that, just use this forum, but not only the cenet section, the hpc2000 section could be useful too.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9