x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada media buttons turn on the screen >:(

takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-01-12 4:22 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I noticed it before, thought it was stupid. Until I actually use the Jornada as my music player, at which point I thought it was rediculous.

Why on earth did they make the media buttons turn the screen on?

From technical point of view, yes I understand the screen basically turns itself on when triggered by any kind of input. But can't they just bypass those buttons? Obviously, when you press those buttons on the outside, you aren't opening the screen up, otherwise you'd have access to the whole ***king keyboard and the whole ***king touchscreen (sorry I'm getting a bit emotional, that's why I put the *'s)

It was bad enough that I have to *manually* turn off the screen before I close it up (because there's no door-switch that has been the standard feature on _refrigerators_ since forever, let alone laptops). Now I have to take the whole thing out of the bag, open it up, turn screen off, close it and put it back in, just because I changed the volume!

Ok, yes I can let it time out and turn off the screen automatically, but why waste all that power? For all I know I could be changing volume or pausing/starting the music every 5 min on average. If I set the time out at 3 min, that means the screen is on 60% of the time, which should've been 0%, correct?

Thanks for reading my rant. I doubt there's a software solution, but if there is, please tell me! This is driving me nuts
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-12 11:12 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You wouldn't happen to be using asterix's to sware on my forum would you?

Yes it is very irritating. Throuble is that the buttons are mapped to extended keyboard pages. So effectivly you are pressing a keyboard key, rather than as on the Intermet which has a special driver to listen for it (The intermec also has a mini disc remote on its audio jack).

You could always get a resistor based volume control and put it in line on the headphones cable. I have one from a Disk Man - see below.

(in-line-audio-resistor.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments in-line-audio-resistor.jpg (16KB - 74 downloads)
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-01-14 1:08 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Actually, I do have a set of earplugs with a built-in volume control half way on the wire.

Sorry about the asterisks Just wanted to be "honest" in context...

BTW, if what you said about the buttons is true, then other programs can easily support them thru the regular keyboard messages, right?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9