x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

3.3V pcmcia? 3COM XJACK wifi.

1 2 3
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-31 10:08 PM
#
H/PC Elder

well ... would be interesting .. 'cos most wifi cards just stickOUT and me fears mine will just snap one day! *shiver*
 Top of the page
athom
athom Page Icon Posted 2005-02-02 10:37 AM
#
I have now checked the "retail-box"... and no power specs.... Sorry.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-02 10:42 AM
#
H/PC Elder

hey, no prob! ... Thanks for checking! ... I guess my current issue is with the browser. My patience with the browser will prob break earlier than my cf wifi card does!
 Top of the page
athom
athom Page Icon Posted 2005-02-02 10:55 AM
#
Yeah... I know what you mean..

I havn't had the time to check out Netfront yet... Can't be worse than IE..
 Top of the page
maxlawbr Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 11:32 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm having a problem....

Every time I turn off my Jornada 728, with the card attached, when I turn it on it simply freeze, I can't do nothing, select via stylus or hit any key.

I've installed WLanMonitorCE, from 3COM web site.

In the 3com/Wireless Lan directory i've copied the PPC's Dll's (AYGSHELL, Doclist and NOTE_PRJ) and I don't know if is this issue that make it freeze.

Do you know if there is any other wlan monitor especificaly for the HPC Pro OS?

Thanks in advance.

Max
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 2:09 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well... I had the same (or similar *hang*) issue with my Pretec wifi cf card on my MP790. It turned out that the Pretec drivers were crappy. I installed the Lynksys WPC1100 drivers and it works without a hitch now.

Note that the card I use is based on the Intersil Prism 2.5 chipset which is like used in so many other cards, including the Lynksys WPC1100, hence the lynksys driver can be loaded.

If your card is using the Prism 2.5 chipset as well, you can try that.

Another way is to hardreset (*gasp*) and install only your wifi card drivers and see if the same thing happens.

Yes, I just find the antena very neat! Cool I.D. ... but I already have a pretec wifi card and cannot justify changing it ...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 11:05 PM
#
H/PC Elder

since this thread is revived, might as well ask the question I didn't...

Does it work with any scanning software, like MiniStumbler? I see the utility doesn't come with a "site survey" option. Without some sort of scanning, the wifi is less useful
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 11:46 PM
#
H/PC Elder

err ... u referring to the 3COM wifi or pretec? My pretec works with mini stumbler if you are asking abt it.

btw, the pretec card has

Transmit: < 370mA
Receive: < 250mA
Standby:< 20mA

for its power consumption. Is that like very high or not?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 2:46 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

My 350 says on the card that it requires a flat 600mA, so I guess yours isn't that bad! I have options to put it down to 5mA, but then the light blinks brighter, like it is sending out a stronger signal - and since my batteries are already shot , I can't really tell if that is working...
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 8:46 AM
#
H/PC Elder

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-02-21 12:46 AM

My 350 says on the card that it requires a flat 600mA, so I guess yours isn't that bad! I have options to put it down to 5mA, but then the light blinks brighter, like it is sending out a stronger signal - and since my batteries are already shot , I can't really tell if that is working...

Gee ... guess its not too shabby eh?

btw, I checked on the dBm <==> mA conversion. dBm is power unit in log form while mW is power rating in normal form (??).

So I checked up a table ... 350ma@3.3v (assuming my card runs at that voltage) ... = 1155mW ... that would throw the power rating to over 30dBm!! Am I doing the conversion right?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 11:59 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy:

this pretec card isn't bad concerning power consumption. i think, there are better cards, but you don't need to change if it's the only reason for you..

i again ask: anyone knows which card has the lowest consumption? i'm about to buy a wifi card.. preferably CF, has a lower voltage, or am i mistaken?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 12:19 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Gee ... cmonex ... thanks for the vote-of-confidence for the pretec card! I like friends like you, encouraging me to be content and saving, and not go out to get the latest greatest fridge in your palm thingie!

Well, if you want to get the Pretec, you can get it for $20.50 /incl shipping from hsn.com, which is where I got it from.

HSN.com has a $15 off first purchase coupon on the net, so just google it.
 Top of the page
maxlawbr Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 8:33 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks Snappy,

I've already hardreseted and instaled only the card.

I've used to use a Orinoco silver Wifi card, but it seems to fail the last days, so I found this discussion topics and tried with my wife's notebook card, a 3com xjack, those one that athom makes work.

I don't think this is an intel chipset, I neither know about the chipset of my card.

Anyway, if anyone knows anything else I would apreciate.

Thanks,

Max
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-22 6:38 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Help me out here ... what card are you using again?

OT:

The power specs for the pretec card is 14dBm typical and 16dBm maximum! Not too shabby eh?
 Top of the page
tõnna, could not log
tõnna, could not log Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 4:53 PM
#
Hi!
Bringing up old topic. I got now the same 3COM wifi card 3CRSHPW196 and J720 as athom. I did get it work with 16,5k aygshell and it works ... well almost normally. Power Management doesnt work just like athoms. And I dont understand what function got that Mandatory? There is no explanation for HPC/PPC WLAN Managment Utility functions only for laptop version. So I dont get any inormation how I could use IP Address Renew and Release feature as it is permanently inactive (gray tabs as in athoms pictures). And what makes me specially p****d off is that I cant save APs with WEP keys Every time I have to put keys manually... Well that is my story at this moment. Do anyone have some solutions for these?

PS! This card has Atmel wireless chipset and as far as I know it wont work with any scanning software
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12