x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Wireless networking Problems

Q-jornada Page Icon Posted 2006-04-25 4:48 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I would like to know if it is possible to use a computer as a modem for a

Wireless network and if so how?

the router is netgear wgt624

And the resin I need to use a computer as a modem is that I have a smart phone that has a high speed cellular internet connection.

Edited by Q-jornada 2006-04-25 5:19 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-25 5:57 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i don't understand your request. you want to use the phone as the modem to the PC? that is possible, but have no idea what your phone model is. will need to move this thread to offtopic
 Top of the page
Q-jornada Page Icon Posted 2006-04-25 6:08 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I am on the internet trough using my cell phone as a modem right now but I need to use it on the network in stead of having to drag the cell phone attached to the laptop around

the phone is a cingular/htc 8125
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-25 6:48 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

erm, you want to use it as a router?

maybe you can use it as a modem for the pc then share the connection on the pc to the other devices lol
 Top of the page
Q-jornada Page Icon Posted 2006-04-25 6:55 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I want to use it instead of a cablemodem or a dsl modem because we can't get either where we live.
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 5:42 PM
#
Ok, if I understand well, you have a wireless router and no dsl connection. Therefore, you want to use your cellular phone to connect to the internet. Right?

Sure, you can do that, if you connect the router to a computer (for example, your notebook) by cable or wi-fi and the computer uses the cell phone as a hi-speed modem.
The reason to do this is to allow several computers on a network to share the internet connection allowed by the cell phone.

Of course, you must route the input network connections going to your notebook to the bluetooth (?) card that connects to the cell phone, so that they "flow" through the computer to the cell phone (ehm, seems too involved, but I cannot find a better way to express the idea ).
Don't forget also to set the notebook as the gateway for all the other computers on the network.

Hope this helps!

If you want more details, you should be more specific about your network and the operating system running on the computer that connects to the cell phone.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.289 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 30