x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Fujitsu PoqetPad Plus ???

OrangeJulius Page Icon Posted 2006-04-26 2:59 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Am I the only one out there who owns one of these neat little devices? If your unfamiliar with the device I have attached a picture and specs. I recently bought 3 of these units, 2 new ones never used with damaged digitizers (from initial shipping), and one used one in perfect working order. Since the "new" ones were a newer revision, I swapped in the digitizer and lcd from the used one to the "new" system board. Works great, nice little onscreen kb, great for running old dos apps and programming. Just curious to see if anyone knows anything about these devices, it seams they are rather rare and unpopular.

Size: 9.05" x 5.12" x 1.42" / 230 mm x 130 mm x 36 mm
Weight: 1.54 lbs / 0.7 kg
Battery life: 3 - 12 hours (application dependant)
Microprocessor: NEC V30 at 16 MHz
Memory: 2 MB. Memory above 640 KB is configurable as EMS or a RAM disk. 64 KB reserved is for BIOS shadow.
Display: Transflective LCD with backlight on demand. 7.25" / 184 mm diagonal size.
Display compatibility: MDA: 80 x 25 characters
CGA: 640 x 200 pixels
Expansion: 2 Type II PCMCIA slots (nearly compatible with PCMCIA Revision 2.0.), 1 TTL serial port, 1 TTL/RS-232 serial port (configurable)
Secondary storage: Drive A: Left PCMCIA slot
Drive B: Right PCMCIA slot
Drive C: ROM drive with MS-DOS 5.0
Drive D: 784 KB Flash drive
Drive E: RAM drive
Built-in software: MS-DOS 5.0, EMS driver, RAM Disk driver, Flash utility

While im at it, any Walkabout Hammerhead p233 / HH3 fans out there?
 Top of the page
OrangeJulius Page Icon Posted 2006-04-27 11:48 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

no one? not surprised, I scoured the net for a couple hr one night and only came up with about 10 sites even mentioning the unit (not counting your various eBay, and eBay knock off links), and out of them, only about 3 of them were useful sources of information. And those “Useful sites” have not been updated since at least 2000. So I might be the only active user of this handheld left, lol.

No hammerhead fans??
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-27 5:14 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well i'd be interested in the poqet pc with a keyboard.. that is very rare as well

i did see a hammerhead (if we mean the same thing) for sale on a local auction site here, but didn't have the funds to get it. it did look nice!
 Top of the page
OrangeJulius Page Icon Posted 2006-04-27 11:57 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I like my Fujitsu PoqetPad Plus. I know what your talking about, the original Fujitsu PoqetPad clam shell version with the keyboard, very cool. I have yet to see one in person, or on the net for sale for that matter. The only down fall to that unit (as I found in my research) is that by this time almost all the keyboards are broke in the surviving units.

The hammerhead is one of the most amazing portable computing devices I have ever seen. Its machined from a solid block of aircraft aluminum ( about the size of a sheet of paper, around an inch think). Its water proof, nearly indestructible, handles extreme teps, the screen is practically bullet and scratch proof. More info can be found here.

http://www.pencomputing.com/archive/PCM27/Hardware/walkabout.html

If you ever run across the opportunity to obtain one of these units, you will not be sorry!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-04-28 12:23 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

What does the screen look like when it is in DOS 5... I have always been curious on how these DOS devices work.. Does it have an internal speaker to hear legacy games? Also, they do look nice..
 Top of the page
OrangeJulius Page Icon Posted 2006-04-28 12:32 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

The screen looks much like any other monochrome DOS device ( even close to your x86 desktops, and laptops) only exception is the loading of handheld specific drivers prior to that little blinking cursor. No speaker with in the unit unfortunately.
 Top of the page
Caz
Caz Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 10:11 AM
#
Hi there, i've just received one of these yesterday!
The unit is in (quite-) used shape, has scratches all over, but i've been said it should work provided i find a suitable AC adapter.
The machine is a donation for my handhelds collection, so i won't actually use it, but i'm looking forward to test it and see what it's capable of.
I had never heard about it before receiving it.
As the "Poqet" brand suggested, i suspected it to be related to the PoqetPC (clam shell version).

I knew the Poqet PC as one of the (if not THE) first fully compatible handheld PCs, and i vaguely remembered it was not a Fujitsu project at first.
A quick google search http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=fujitsu+poqet+pad+plus
tells that Fujitsu actually bought the Poqet PC Corp (which was from California if i trust my memories?), so i think fujitsu breeded the PoqetPads from technology that was not internally developped.

I was totally unaware of the PoqetPADs existence...
 Top of the page
OrangeJulius Page Icon Posted 2006-05-11 2:22 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Wow some one else has one, that is a shock ( any info you find out, let me know)...you hit the nail on the head its a fujitsu product, the PoqetPC was the original, then the PoqetPad. I am using a 13.5v 1000ma (i know its not quite the proper specs..) adapter with no issues, good charging as well.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9