x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: Microsoft Entertainment Pack for Windows CE 2.0

[Frozen]
1 2 3 4 5
Frozen
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-05-03 11:32 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I just got my copy in the mail today and haven't had a chance to install it, yet. (Network is down and cradle/serial cable is at my girlfriend's apartment.) Anyway, I have a couple of questions. Is Codebreaker the HPC version of the Windows desktop game "Misermind"? In the desktop game, there are colored dots (number of colors depend on difficulty level) and you must match them in order. In the desktop game there is also an indication of the number of correct dots and whether the order is correct.

Secondly, does this version of Freecell feature a statistics counter like its desktop counterpart?

Thanks
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 8:38 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

KBoyKool - 2006-05-03 11:32 PM

I just got my copy in the mail today and haven't had a chance to install it, yet. (Network is down and cradle/serial cable is at my girlfriend's apartment.) Anyway, I have a couple of questions. Is Codebreaker the HPC version of the Windows desktop game "Misermind"? In the desktop game, there are colored dots (number of colors depend on difficulty level) and you must match them in order. In the desktop game there is also an indication of the number of correct dots and whether the order is correct.

I'm not fimiliar with the Desktop version, but what you discribed sounds the same as the version in Entertainment Pack.

Secondly, does this version of Freecell feature a statistics counter like its desktop counterpart?

Thanks

Yes - there is a a statistics counter in the H/PC version.
_NeoStrider
_NeoStrider Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 10:21 AM
#
what a shame!
that reversi is the same code sample from SDK 2.0!!!
I used it as a test for my "compile CE 1.0 code with SDK 2.0" method...

the only addition was the multiplayer...but hey, still lame from MS (the game is good...)
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 11:53 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

_NeoStrider - 2006-05-04 10:25 AM

what a shame!
that reversi is the same code sample from SDK 2.0!!!
I used it as a test for my "compile CE 1.0 code with SDK 2.0" method...

the only addition was the multiplayer...but hey, still lame from MS (the game is good...)

Was it worth repeating twice?
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 6:38 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The real reason I got this so cheaply...

It isn't version 2.0. You have to read this auctions closely, and I didn't. It is good for SH3 and MIPS, but not ARM. There is no CAB file as John described in the review. So, if anyone with a 660LX wants this entertainment pack...

It does feature the same games, however. One other item to note is that the install requires PPCLOAD.DLL which I do not have on my current machine. Is this something from ActiveSync or WinCE Services that would be on my home machine?

I'll probably offer this on hpcBay.

Incidentally, the original receipt came with the disc. It was purchased December 6, 1997 at Electronics Boutique for $34.99.
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 7:30 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Ouch. I'd have made the same mistake. Who knew it had to say ver. 2.0? Well, I guess John did I'd hold on to it, if I were you. Chances are you'll end up with a retro machine (we all do) and you'll be set. This could be your opportunity to backdoor into the world of CE 2.0, and those machines don't cost much more than the gamepack.

Jake
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 7:32 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
You can at least get a free Reversi from Henri's site.

Jake
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 8:02 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

WCEEP1.0 there's a piece of history!
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 8:05 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Jake - 2006-05-04 7:30 PM

Ouch. I'd have made the same mistake. Who knew it had to say ver. 2.0? Well, I guess John did I'd hold on to it, if I were you. Chances are you'll end up with a retro machine (we all do) and you'll be set. This could be your opportunity to backdoor into the world of CE 2.0, and those machines don't cost much more than the gamepack.

Jake

Actually, I had one. Technically, I still do. How I ended up with the J720 was that my HP660LX died. I may put WCEEP 1.0 on hpcBay and throw in my dead 660LX for free. Hahaha.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-05-05 12:30 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You hear that, cmonex?
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-05-05 7:07 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

KBoyKool - 2006-05-04 6:38 PM

The real reason I got this so cheaply...

It isn't version 2.0. You have to read this auctions closely, and I didn't. It is good for SH3 and MIPS, but not ARM. There is no CAB file as John described in the review. So, if anyone with a 660LX wants this entertainment pack...

It does feature the same games, however. One other item to note is that the install requires PPCLOAD.DLL which I do not have on my current machine. Is this something from ActiveSync or WinCE Services that would be on my home machine?

I'll probably offer this on hpcBay.

Incidentally, the original receipt came with the disc. It was purchased December 6, 1997 at Electronics Boutique for $34.99.

Sorry to hear that...it's gotta be disappointing!

Edited by Hurricane John 2006-05-05 7:08 AM
Dale Jones
Dale Jones Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 12:23 AM
#
I've had this software installed on my Clio 1050 for about 6 years. The
games are fun well worth the money I paid (I don't remember what).

There is also a fantastic game that I bought over the internet called "Iron Rain."

It was rated well at the time (again about 6 years ago) and I purchased it for maybe $25.00. I'm not sure it's still around, but if it is I would suggest it to 2.0 users who like shoot 'em up space games. I can't tell you how many hours of fun it brings me.
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 1:51 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

KBoyKool, you should keep it, after all, it was only 6 USD... Besides, you can just keep it for collection as C:Amie said..
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 3:30 AM
#
H/PC Elder

FWIW, PCLOAD.DLL is part of the Gamebag One kit. Run the gamebag installer then search for the dll before AS tries to establish a connection.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 3:35 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It (CEEP 2.0) is a cool collection of games. I'm looking around (eBay + Google) for a better price than the $33 that my local Fry's Electronics still insists on selling their one copy for. (I may sound cheap, but software costs do add up, and I gotta figure they'd have marked down further software for an OS that's almost nine years old. Anyway, I'm always looking for the best deal.) The blackjack game is supposed to be particularly good. I suspect that the chess program is pretty weak, though, considering that the desktop Windows Entertainment Pack versions routinely leave pieces en prise. (Maybe my standards are a bit high there; I'm a USCF-rated expert who also has a World Chess Federation [FIDE] rating, and who once beat a grandmaster who was a two-time champion of Great Britain.)

(1111th post)

Edited by CE Geek 2006-05-06 3:38 AM
1 2 3 4 5
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 14