x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Suggestions for my website...

1 2
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-05-02 12:46 PM
#
Hi,

I'd like some opinions/suggestions on/for my website. Any constructive critisims also welcomed...

I lost the old design due to a fault on the server and a faulty USB drive, so i started from scratch. I need help with the design, not the content of the site, although any suggestions welcomed. I've got a basic design, but cant make my mind up how to finish it. These are the two possible designs:

http://www.chazco.co.uk/?s=0
http://www.chazco.co.uk/?s=1

Which looks best? Which loads best? How can they be improved in your opinion? What should be kept/removed? Anything else?

Thanks for the help...

(i checked the rules and cant find anything, but if i'm not allowed to post this sorry and feel free to delete the thread)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-02 1:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

This is fine in O/T/

Both s 1 and s 0 are identical here. Is s the correct querystring variable?

One quick thing that I notice. You need to fix width the left hand navigation bar. I'm using UXGA on this system and it's exploded away from the Main Menu, Articles, Latest Updates and Latest Forum Topics's fix width.

In fact i would do the same to the entire site, lose the use of 100% width on the main area.

If you need a screenshot, I can provide.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-05-02 1:18 PM
#
Look closely at the menu to the left, its the only bit that i'm undecided about for now.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-02 1:21 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Oh the use of the lines.

Keep the lines but you need to do the above or it looks odd.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-05-02 1:21 PM
#
One quick thing that I notice. You need to fix width the left hand navigation bar. I'm using UXGA on this system and it's exploded away from the Main Menu, Articles, Latest Updates and Latest Forum Topics's fix width.

In fact i would do the same to the entire site, lose the use of 100% width on the main area.

I tried to give the menu a fixed width but it still seems to expand. I'll try CSS instead of table widths and see how that looks.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-02 1:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It is resizing because you have

width = 172 at line 21

width = 779 at 83

yet the container at line 9 is a delimited 95%

You can't mix and match. Make it 951 and it should behave.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-05-02 1:28 PM
#
Drat. I've always done it that way but never seen it on a larger monitor. So, i should:
- keep the lines in the menu
- either:
-- use fixed pixel widths, but be left with whitespace on large monitors
-- use percents but the menu will still stretch

(a screenshot would be helpful by the way, thanks)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-02 1:31 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Attachment removed.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-05-02 1:32 PM
#
Make it 951 and it should behave.

Tried that, but it looks wrong on 800x600 (which i get quite a lot of visitors on). I'd like the site to display full-width(ish) on 800x600, but while not leaving too much whitespace on larger resolutions.

Thanks for the help by-the-way...
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-05-02 1:35 PM
#
Ah, i see. Thanks.

Give me a moment and i'll update the site and see if its any better (you can remove the screenshot if you want, so it doesnt slow the forum)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-02 1:41 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

well, er, that is because you need to dimension it for 800x600, rather than 1024x786.

Change the width of the main table to 750/760 wide, that will cover 8x6.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-05-02 1:44 PM
#
I've changed it, but now there seems to be a lot of wasted space on larger displays. Any suggestions?

(you dont need to use s= any more now )
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-02 1:49 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

To be honest with you I prefer it like this, even using this resolution. I know that there are people with the contrary view, but for me, I'm sick of delimited widths, I think they look messy. That is why V2 was designed with a contrained system - there are modular API's written into V2 to allow delimited methods though, such as the forum view you're looking at right now.

The only way to change it is to either

delimited width the entire thing except for that left hand navigation bar. To do that you set the main table to 95%, the left nav to 172px and the main document area with NO width.

or

A detection script. If 8x6 res do xxx, if higher do yyy.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-05-02 1:53 PM
#
Okay, thanks for the help.

A detection script. If 8x6 res do xxx, if higher do yyy

I'm trying to avoid client side scripts on compatability grounds (i get a supiscious amount of users on 320x240 and 640x240, i wonder who they could be ).

delimited width the entire thing except for that left hand navigation bar. To do that you set the main table to 95%, the left nav to 172px and the main document area with NO width.

I might try that, but then again you said you like this one better. I think i'll wait to see how many agree/disagree and act accordingly.

Thanks again, this is a very helpful forum...
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-05-03 3:00 AM
#
I might try that

I tried that... Same links as before to test...
http://www.chazco.co.uk/ <-- no widths set at all except for the menu coloum
http://www.chazco.co.uk/?s=0 <-- 95% table with only menu width set
http://www.chazco.co.uk/?s=1 <-- pixel widths set for all, at an 800x600 optimised resolution
(you may need to press CTRL+F5 to force a reload)

So, who thinks which?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 8