x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

PRISM 2.5 drivers not getting DHCP

adeprice
adeprice Page Icon Posted 2006-05-03 4:18 PM
#
I have a Simpad SL4, which has been flashed to CE 4.1. I am trying to connect to a home wifi using the Intersil Prism drivers from the CESD with a Netgear MA401 card. I have existing windoze computers connected to my home wifi via DHCP. Server's IP address on the LAN is 192.168.1.1 and the subnet mask 255.255.255.0. I've set it up to allocate IPs in the range 100 - 109 ie my laptop is on 192.168.1.100. The SSID is broadcast and a WEP key is assigned.

I have tried to connect my Simpad using DHCP and it seems successful, the PRISM wireless information box shows that it associates then connects with my Network SSID name. Then I click the tab to IP Information and it contains this:

Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Address Type: DHCP
IP Address: 169.254.90.66
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: <blank>

From the above it seems to me that the Prism drivers have failed to negotiate the DHCP correctly, needless to say MIE cannot load any pages.

Can anyone please help me to configure my Simpad to work with my home wifi please? Many thanks.

Best regards,
Ade
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-03 5:38 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

why not use the WZC client included with ce.net?

maybe this 100-109 is a too short range...?
 Top of the page
David G Page Icon Posted 2006-05-03 5:58 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I've had the same trouble with my Neta on occasion.

I had to unplug and plug my router access point to get the my router to correctly pick up the device and supply the DHCP.

(The incorrect IP address I picked up was my neighbor's home access point )

(No... It was secure... )

DG
 Top of the page
adeprice
adeprice Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 2:42 AM
#
Hello thanks to those who have answered so far. I would just like to confirm that I am broadcasting the SSID called "Pricenet" and this name is the only one in my preferred list. There are neighbours' networks but I am not trying to connect to them.

I have tried to increase the IP range from .2 upward, no change.

I am just trying to find a CE.NET 4.1 WZC client. So far I have only found a 4.2 version on the MS website. If anyone has the WZC client for .NET 4.1 then can they let me know please? Many thanks.

rgrds,

Ade
 Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 9:44 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

adeprice - 2006-05-03 4:18 PM
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Address Type: DHCP
IP Address: 169.254.90.66
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: <blank>

From the above it seems to me that the Prism drivers have failed to negotiate the DHCP correctly, needless to say MIE cannot load any pages.

169.254.x.y is indeed a bogus IP that Microsoft uses when a real DHCP address can't be found. You may simply need to force a renewal of the DHCP lease. I get this all the time after configuring my device to use a new AP, and it won't work correctly until I (a) pull and re-insert my WiFi card or (b) force a DHCP lease renewal. Download the ceIPconfig utility from this site:

http://www.furrygoat.com/Misc/Software.html

and use it to release and renew the DHCP lease. (This is a Piddle PC site, so you'll need an AYGSHELL and some hacking with ExecCheck to make the applications work.)

I'm assuming you've taken care of other problems, like making sure your WEP key is correct and all.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 11:48 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

adeprice - 2006-05-04 8:42 AM

Hello thanks to those who have answered so far. I would just like to confirm that I am broadcasting the SSID called "Pricenet" and this name is the only one in my preferred list. There are neighbours' networks but I am not trying to connect to them.

I have tried to increase the IP range from .2 upward, no change.

I am just trying to find a CE.NET 4.1 WZC client. So far I have only found a 4.2 version on the MS website. If anyone has the WZC client for .NET 4.1 then can they let me know please? Many thanks.

you should already have the zeroconfig on your simpad!
don't you get its icon on the taskbar? it is a network icon.
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 1:07 PM
#
As others have noticed, 169.254.90.66 is a bogus IP number used when the network address cannot be assigned.
Not only by MS, actually, all operating system have similar mechanisms.

I would suggest, whenever you change the network configuration, to soft-reset your PDA AND pull & reinsert the card.
In my (short) experience, this usually works, while simply pulling & reinserting the card is often not sufficient.
 Top of the page
adeprice
adeprice Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 3:27 PM
#
I've sorted it!

For some reason the WEP key was not being authenticated properly when setting a ten digit HEX code. I've changed the AP and all the clients to a 13 character ASCII code and now it all works.

P.S. I don't think I made a mistake setting the 10 digit hex code on the SIMPAD so I assume that there is a weakness in the PRISM CE 4.1 driver.

P.P.S. Now all I have to do is to solve the problem of Activesync not syncronising Pocket On-Schedule with Outlook 2002. I think Tombraider has already run into this problem.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 6:55 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

strange. i always set 128 bit wep in hexa on ce.net 4.1 PRISM too and it works fine.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10