x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

XP Users: Classic or Luna theme?

1 2
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 9:41 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Well, I admit, I hate the old OS 9 look..
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 9:56 AM
#
Hehe, try using Mac OS X on your laptop for class, XFCE (Linux) at work, and then going home to Win XP Classic.

And then HPC Pro and WM2003...

Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 10:41 AM
#
H/PC Elite

People complain about the Luna theme looking rather "Fisher-Price", but I actually really like the garish colours. Everything is skinnable anyway, and I am using a Vista skin on one of my XP boxes, as well as on my Kubuntu box (sacrilege I know). I am especially fond of the circular "start" button, so I know I must be in a very small minotiry here!

My H/PC currently uses the WisBar XP theme downloaded from here. I notice a Longhorn skin is available, but I'd really like a Vista (current build) one just to match...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 11:02 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Of the three modes in Luna, the olive one is the most patetable, but that lasted a week before I decided the memory was the better option. Haven't used themes since.

Sorry ZSX, C:Amie (as in me) invariably doesn't have the time these days.
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 11:43 AM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2006-05-06 4:02 PM
Sorry ZSX, C:Amie (as in me) invariably doesn't have the time these days.

Oh... pity!

Then again this is probably the best inducement for me to get off my lazy ass and do a little graphic design!

Thanks for all your previous work - and for this website too!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 4:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sounds good. If you make any up, please send them in if you'd like them shared.
I can get them packaged for you in the themes section. We always give credit
 Top of the page
Bay_wolf
Bay_wolf Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 6:30 PM
#
I vote for the Energy Blue theme included with Media Center Edition XP
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 6:33 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

That one is okay, but I still love Windows classic..
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-05-08 5:34 AM
#
C:Amie - 2006-05-06 11:50 AM
Sorry guys, MacOS
Can't stick the UI. Makes me suffer from chronic hypothermia.

There aren't many who think that the Mac OS X look and/or interface is bad... And I'd be really glad to know why.

I do believe it is much more user-friendly than any other UI I know of, but I am **very** interested to hear (ehm!) different opinions.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-08 9:12 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i'm not C:Amie but can voice a "different opinion". mac os x just wants to look too nice. tries really hard to do that and that doesnt appeal to me.

so, like C:Amie i also stick to the classic windows look.

additionally i hate msn messenger too, mainly because of its looks. so i use a plain irc client.

now put these facts together..

Edited by cmonex 2006-05-08 9:13 AM
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2006-05-08 9:58 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I usually set everything to classic, but on my laptop I have themes enabled. It's running winMCE, and has "Energy Blue" enabled by default. It's pretty neat. However, I do run my own background, but the shiny blue bar on the botttom looks pretty good.
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-05-08 11:51 AM
#
cmonex - 2006-05-08 3:12 PM
i'm not C:Amie but can voice a "different opinion". mac os x just wants to look too nice. tries really hard to do that and that doesnt appeal to me.

I like different opinions (and it is funny, but it seems we always have different opinions ), but, sorry, I don't agree at all on this statement.

Mac OS X is not only nice, rather its interface allows people to use the computer without hassle. The interface is consistent across applications and sometimes so easy that surprises power users.

To me, only the Finder is too basic, lacking many features found in Linux or, maybe, even 2000/XP.
On the other hand, the possibility of marking files/folders with different colors, or of placing the files/folders when **you*want in a window, is a definitive plus and increases much your day-to-day productivity.

And I don't want to talk about how easier is to mount/eject USB disks, when compared to the awkward Windows-way-of-doing-the-same-thing.

And this is not marketing (although many other things from Apple are ) just a plain fact from many years of experience (I still have, and love, an Apple II under my desk!)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-08 12:11 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2006-05-08 2:12 PM

so, like C:Amie i also stick to the classic windows look.

additionally i hate msn messenger too, mainly because of its looks. so i use a plain irc client.

now put these facts together..
I agree with you on MSN Messenger, it's a RAM waste and a load of fluffy and candy that I'm not in the slightest bit interested in. That's why I stick to Windows messenger.

BrianD - 2006-05-08 4:51 PM
I like different opinions (and it is funny, but it seems we always have different opinions ), but, sorry, I don't agree at all on this statement.

Mac OS X is not only nice, rather its interface allows people to use the computer without hassle. The interface is consistent across applications and sometimes so easy that surprises power users.

To me, only the Finder is too basic, lacking many features found in Linux or, maybe, even 2000/XP.
On the other hand, the possibility of marking files/folders with different colors, or of placing the files/folders when **you*want in a window, is a definitive plus and increases much your day-to-day productivity.

And I don't want to talk about how easier is to mount/eject USB disks, when compared to the awkward Windows-way-of-doing-the-same-thing.

And this is not marketing (although many other things from Apple are ) just a plain fact from many years of experience (I still have, and love, an Apple II under my desk!)
As said, it's very simple.
I do not think that it looks attractive. I do not like the colour scheme. I don't like those dock-menu things.
Aside from tarting the UI up with higher colour graphics the interface with the 'etched' horizontal lines is just old, cliche'd and belongs in the past. Time to move on people!

May be it is faster. May be it isn't. However I don't want to use a computer each day where I'm likely to want to slit my wrists and jump off a tall building in a manic depression after 30 minutes work.

Let me reiterate here the I, I, I part of this statement.

I do however think that a x86 (why?) / EM64T release of OSX will be good for Apple's fortunes (private opinions there aside) and give Microsoft a real headache.
If you want to use OSX on your Hyperthreaded P4, by all means please do. Just don't expect me to follow suit.

Me, I'll stick with whatever Microsoft spit out next (and will be turned off) or KDE/Gnome, depending on what I'm doing.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.202 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9