x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Facts needed, UPS with USB->232 adapter

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 1:02 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I have a single 232 port on my desktop. My UPS is 232 based.

Who here is/has used a USB->RS232 adapter to connect their UPS to their computer? What brand adapter works? What problems did you have?

TY gang
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 7:47 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hmm, i have two serial ports on the pc...

sorry i cant help with the question, instead i have one myself. my ups can use either usb or serial. i have it plugged in one of the usb ports, but as i have two serial ports it would be a nice idea to plug it in there instead. does it matter at all which port i use? sorry for the silly question

edit: an idea for you. why do you need the serial port? for the hpc syncing? why not use the usb-rs232 adapter for that instead using it for the ups.

Edited by cmonex 2006-05-06 7:48 AM
 Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 10:20 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hmmm, a USB to RS232 adapter is a pretty simple device. I'd be suprised if any of them didn't work. My UPS is USB connected as well, so I've not tried it for that specific task. However, I do have a Belkin USB to Serial adapter and it works great for H/PC's, phones, and old modems. But, like I said, I'd be suprised if you found one that didn't work (unless it was just broken, of course )
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-05-10 9:18 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Thanks, I'll oder a couple from TD and see how they work out. My Amity lacks serial so I need noe for that. My desktop (even if given away) will gow tih a UPS and I can't imagine my parents crawling around the back og the desktopbto swap hpc cables.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-11 1:25 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Incidentally, while we're talking about USB > Serial cables. I still haven't heard anything back from the UK company with a CE 4 solution.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-05-12 8:28 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I don't connect using my serial port to my ups...should I guess, but don't. Nonetheless, I use a Sabrent SBT-USC1M USB to serial adapter on my desktop all the time. I've used it to sync with my older Mobilepros via Activesync as well as running a serial pritner and a serial infrared JetEye device. It has worked flawlessly for me.

Rich
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10