x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Anyone use gmail?

1 2
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-10 8:20 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

chazco - 2006-05-07 10:23 PM

sign out when you leave gmail.

Thats difficult - i cant even sign in!

sign in on a PC, and then sign out on the PC, and then go to gmail on your j720.

oh and don't forget, if you hacked your IE4 to identify itself as IE6, gmail won't work.

Edited by cmonex 2006-05-10 8:21 PM
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2006-05-10 9:39 PM
#
H/PC Elite

chazco - 2006-05-07 2:49 PM

And I can read my gmail fine on my 900C

This is not fair. Why doesnt it work on my Jornada 720? It just doesnt work for me not matter what i do.

It doesn't works in the jornada because it uses PIE4, try netfront, i use it (version 3.0), it works beautifully

and btw, gmail blows any other free mail service out, they have the largest inboxes, a well balanced spam filter and before anyone tells me that you can't send exe, dll, zip or (insert your favorite extension here) files, yes, you can, just change the last char in the extension to a "_" (.ex_ , .zi_ , etc) or other nonsense char. gmail doesn't discriminate binary files based on the contents, but only in the extension, so changing it effectively removes the restriction.

Edited by matrixcore 2006-05-10 9:46 PM
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2006-05-10 9:42 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Rich Hawley - 2006-05-07 8:55 AM

I must be dong something wrong then, cause I get zero advertisements. And I can read my gmail fine on my 900C

Rich

you don't get any ads because gmail correctly identifies IE6 in ce.net 4.2 as a mobile web browser, and displays the mobile version of gmail accordingly. if you change the " /x/ " portion of the URL in the address bar for a " /h/ " you'll get the simple (non-JavaScript) HTML version, which does include ads AFAIK. moile version is useful for text messages, but you can't download attachments, as they're converted to plaintext, whereas the simple html version lets you download them nicely. The same procedure works for netfront users.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-10 10:17 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

matrixcore - 2006-05-11 3:39 AM

It doesn't works in the jornada because it uses PIE4, try netfront, i use it (version 3.0), it works beautifully

and btw, gmail blows any other free mail service out, they have the largest inboxes, a well balanced spam filter and before anyone tells me that you can't send exe, dll, zip or (insert your favorite extension here) files, yes, you can, just change the last char in the extension to a "_" (.ex_ , .zi_ , etc) or other nonsense char. gmail doesn't discriminate binary files based on the contents, but only in the extension, so changing it effectively removes the restriction.

it DOES work on the jornada with IE4... i know, i have used gmail with IE4.

gmail sucks for executable sending, if i want to send several executables in a zip, i'm NOT going to change their extensions, that's just pathetic.
if it's just one, then maybe, but several? nah, nope, i have better methods anyway as gmail's limit for sending is 10mb.

their spam filter sucks big time as well. but i already said that.

but gmail has the best user interface... this is the only one email provider i actually like using on the web, and not just pop3. it's because it is simple, no unnecessary bells and whistles.

and the storage is nice but i'm not going to change my main email addresses to gmail.. i've had them for years so sadly no, at least if i don't *have* to.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-10 10:33 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

what domains do you use, cmonex? (I am not asking for the email address itself, just the domain).. By the way, people can still send me emails at the one in my profile, gmail is just my main one.. Also, does gmail work with qmail 2?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-10 10:40 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i use the biggest hungarian email provider, freemail.hu

it is hardly any competitor to gmail but i've had it since i started using the internet...

qmail3 works with gmail, i don't know about qmail2. if it can handle SSL then probably yes.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-10 10:50 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I dont see SSL support, but when I get a wifi card, I will try it.. You are nearing 6000 posts, cmonex..
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2006-05-11 2:02 AM
#
H/PC Elite

cmonex - 2006-05-10 9:17 PM

it DOES work on the jornada with IE4... i know, i have used gmail with IE4.

gmail sucks for executable sending, if i want to send several executables in a zip, i'm NOT going to change their extensions, that's just pathetic.
if it's just one, then maybe, but several? nah, nope, i have better methods anyway as gmail's limit for sending is 10mb.

their spam filter sucks big time as well. but i already said that.

but gmail has the best user interface... this is the only one email provider i actually like using on the web, and not just pop3. it's because it is simple, no unnecessary bells and whistles.

i use it too, and i say it doesn't works because sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, so you can't fully rely on it.

for sending various exes, just zip them and change only the extension of the final .zip to .zi_, no need to change every file

about the send limit, 10mb is just fine for anything, i dunno what kind of files would you need to send that require more than that and more important what mail server will gladly accept attachments >10mb them from you, even if your mail provider supports sending bigger ones.

spam filter is customisable, it has some false positives sometimes, but it learns, and yes, it's HTML rocks, no intrusive ads
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10