x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

REQ: (US) Serial Cable for MobilePro!!

Sasquatch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-12 10:08 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Anybody have a serial/sync cable they can sell me? Help a poor teacher out!
 Top of the page
Sasquatch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 4:16 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

ummm....please?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 4:18 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Relatively cheap on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEC-MOBILEPRO-S1424-12S-SYNC-SERIAL-PC-CONNECT-CABLE_W0QQitemZ240000016216QQcategoryZ48672QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
Also, have you looked at alternative means of syncing? Ethernet is much faster and IrDA is a cheap option..
 Top of the page
Sasquatch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 4:30 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

why no, I haven't looked at alternative modes to syncing...do the other methods play nice with ActiveSync? Somebody tell me more?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 4:45 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Serial, Ethernet, IrDA, WiFi, and if your device supports it (bluetooth)..
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 4:54 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
Sasquatch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 5:20 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Tenjeangosi mentioned wifi...I just bought off eBay an Orinoco silver card and have a wireless router set up at home (I'm a network noob as well and the router currently only is set up for the Tivo downstairs)...could I use the orinoco card to sync then? Will ActiveSync allow this? At least initially doesn't it require a serial connection? Thanks for your time.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 5:27 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

As my article explains, and the networking guides in the support section (worth a look to cover the basics and troubleshooting) you cannot sync over a network until you have a partnership, so you don't have this option - yet.
You mentioned in your PM that you didn't have Infrared, as mentioned in the guide this is an inexpencive option for you, assuming either your motherboard natively supports it - in which case give the manufacturer a call and ask for an IR dongle, or get a USB one from eBay. Again there is more info and troubleshooting in the support section.

Bluetooth is not really a way out, it's pricy for a start and ideally you want a StrongArm device.
 Top of the page
Sasquatch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 5:33 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

well...sorry if I'm being dense, but I thought the article was saying that transer rate would be the same as serial and serial cables for my NEC 770 aren't rare (yet). Thanks for the help
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 5:40 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Ethernet synchronisation will go at whatever the maximum Bus speed of the H/PC is - usually pushing something like 14Mbps with 100Mbps network card. Serial and Infrared (in this case) can't go over 115.2 Kbps with ActiveSync.
The article wasn't written about the MP770, it wasn't really written against any particular device. One could summise if it were it would be around hp devices, as they are by far the most common H/PC type.
 Top of the page
Sasquatch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-15 9:22 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

NO LONGER NEED CABLE. Thanks!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9