x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Is is possible to bump up the 790 ram?

1 2 3 4
790HPC
790HPC Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 2:53 AM
#
Here is the auction # from my auction 9735464558- The seller selling the upgrade sels s a ton of HPC stuff -- specifically NEC Mobilepro's I did a one day auction which ended earlier tonite. His auction is a ten day listing that was posted a few hours ago. After my earlier posts I did some experimenting and found you don't have to remove the ROM- a hard reset works fine. Which is how his instructions say to do it.

I tried this same thing several months ago on a whim but I did only a soft reset and I didn't remove the ROM so nothing happened, that's when I saw some post on here that said it wouldn't work and gave up. But the thought of that extra RAM made me revisit the subject. I find this very exciting because it breathes a little more life into the 790. It also makes it a little more competitive with the j720/j728.

(I actually just bought a j720 two days ago on Ebay and can't wait to get it. I love the 790 but I like the size of the 720. Also the ARM processor seems to have more apps available.)

One has to wonder why NEC never sold this chip as a RAM upgrade. They had to have known it would work and it seems like they might have planned on it because they bumped the on board ram to 32 and left the slot open. BTW does anyone know why the 780 won't recognize the internal ROM when you upgrade it to a 789?

Edited by 790HPC 2006-06-03 3:20 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 12:03 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

BTW does anyone know why the 780 won't recognize the internal ROM when you upgrade it to a 789?

what internal rom? the user accessible flash rom? that's on the motherboard of the 790. sorry.

oh and i have to say my1990 is really adept at quickly noticing new stuff for the mobilepros
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-05 11:03 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i just tried it. .. it indeed works!

on pic.. 780 (actually 789 ) with 16 mb ram and 790 with 48
 Top of the page
stasheck Page Icon Posted 2006-06-08 9:02 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Now I did it, too My mom won't need 32 MB on her MP780 The question is, do I need 48 megs - we'll see I'm sure it decreases battery life
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-08 9:06 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

nah, it wont have an effect on battery life.
 Top of the page
stasheck Page Icon Posted 2006-06-08 2:22 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Yes it will, but it should be negligible
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2006-06-08 4:28 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

It certainly is possible to upgrade the 790 RAM to 48MB and to do it with an NEC made 16MB upgrade. MY1990 ,
an excellent eBay seller has been selling new upgrade "kits". I ordered one and installed it this AM (06-08-'06).
My 790 "System" shows 48MB RAM and I get a marked improvement in performance.

--Bruised
 Top of the page
alphacrumb
alphacrumb Page Icon Posted 2006-06-09 11:19 PM
#
Good to hear! My order has yet to arrive. (Ah, the joys of shipping to Canada. )

How much of a performance improvement would you say it gives you? The MP790 is already fast enough for me, but I'm enough of a gearhead to enjoy even a 1% boost.
 Top of the page
790HPC
790HPC Page Icon Posted 2006-06-10 12:08 AM
#
I really didn't notice a huge difference on mine unless i had a lot of programs openit would seem to switch programs faster.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-06-10 2:23 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I'm glad I decided to drag up this idea from the past.

I'm amazed how fast an upgrade surfaced on ebay, for sure it's a member here selling the upgrades. I know who it is but it's not my place to say.

Now, can someone clarify something for me? Is the 16mb chip being used for the upgrade the same module I have in my 800s? In ohter words, does the 800 have 16mb onboard and the module is the other 16mb?

Are there any MPs where the module is a full 32mb? If that module existed could it bump the 790 up to a full 64mb?
 Top of the page
790HPC
790HPC Page Icon Posted 2006-06-10 2:33 PM
#
I believe the device would have to have the same processor. I don't know of any 32MB ram board in any NEC MIPS device.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-10 3:41 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wally, everyone knows who's that member, my1990 as he registered here with the same name.

the 780 ram chip removeable from its slot is used for the upgrade in the 790. it isn't identical to the 800 i'm afraid, but you can try. yes it has 16mb onboard though.

the 790 has 32mb onboard and the slot is open for upgrades. no removeable 32mb module though.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-06-10 4:24 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Wallythacker, the ram module in the 800 is not compatible. It is the same module as in the 770...the snap in type. The 880 ram module is the screw in type, like the 780, as needed in the 790 for the memory upgrade.

Man is this weird trying to type on this wide screen. Cmonex...shrink your pictures a little, eh?

And as it has already been stated...no 32mb memory chips...but what a great idea. I would be interested in benchmarks to see if video improved any using pockettv or tcmpc...

Rich
 Top of the page
my1990 Page Icon Posted 2006-06-15 10:39 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yes, the credit goes to 790HPC. Thank you very much for the great creative idea! I did get the idea from his ebay listing and same day put up my upgrade kit auction on ebay. It took me about 5 mins to figure out how to do it after seeing his 48MB MobilePro 790 listing.

790HPC: I apologize if I did not reply your message. I really do not remember receiving any message inquiring about the 780 memory board because I do not sell 780 very often. I usually reply all messages asap and I have been trying to make all my customers happy with our products and services.

I am not very active here, just occationally, once a month or so. Otherwise, I could find this great thread and would have my auction on eBay sooner.

I find also today there is another thread discussing about memory size and system performance. I am a Win32 programmer for many years. I know a little bit about the program address space and how the memory page and virtual memory work. More RAM definitely boosts system performance especially when you have multiple threads and multiple processes running same time.

Long live the hpcfactor.com forum!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-15 12:25 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rich Hawley - 2006-06-10 10:24 PM

Wallythacker, the ram module in the 800 is not compatible. It is the same module as in the 770...the snap in type. The 880 ram module is the screw in type, like the 780, as needed in the 790 for the memory upgrade.

Man is this weird trying to type on this wide screen. Cmonex...shrink your pictures a little, eh?

And as it has already been stated...no 32mb memory chips...but what a great idea. I would be interested in benchmarks to see if video improved any using pockettv or tcmpc...

Rich

Rich: well if i shrunk the pics the numbers would be unreadable already close to unreadable.. anyway.. sorry i can remove them and link externally..
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 12