x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

strange combination of SH3, cf lan card and CF slots...

cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-23 6:16 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well, what i noticed is this.

i just got my cool socket LPE cf card. (the ruggedized version, i.e. the cable is permanently attached )

i tried it on hpc pro, hpc2000, ce.net, worked OK everywhere without installing any driver, in any CF or pcmcia slots.

then i tried my 620lx. i still didn't hard reset it... C:Amie, you remember my problem with the 3c589D not working on the 620lx? so... lazy i know... i put the card in the CF slot, and. .. it asked for the driver name. i entered ne2000. then i never got the popup about the IP address etc settings. never. reinsert / soft reset, 620lx again asking driver name. a hard reset may be really in order then but was still too lazy.

ok, i get the 750C out and stick the card in its cf slot. works fine! this thing runs on a MIPS cpu while the 620lx runs on SH3. next try was my two phenom ultras (again CE 2.0 and sh3), card worked in neither. i again used the cf slot.
uninstall NSP, reinstall NSP, install socket LPE without installing NSP (it provides NSP functionality on its own)... no joy. even with the LPE driver installed, i still got driver name questions every time i tried the card.
i gave up and wanted to put the thing away getting to the conclusion that the LPE doesn't work on CE 2.0 SH3 (didn't try my ericsson MC16 though) when i realized: why not try it in the pcmcia slot of the ultra. one of the ultras has an only half working pcmcia slot, so tried the other one. not only did i not get any driver name dialog but i got the IP dialog finally and yes yes it works!!! works in the 620lx's pcmcia slot too.

so why is this strange problem with SH3, and not present with MIPS? (or the cpu is just a coincidence?)
is this a well known problem? if so, i never saw indication of this..
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-23 7:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I have always had issues with CE2 and NE2000 adapters, as an avid SH3 user for all these years, MIPS users seem to have more luck.

I have never in my time encountered people discussing issues with the LPE, I remember something to do with Linksys adapters on SH3 though, may be that's worth digging into. It's probably worth noting that the LPE is Windows CE 2.0 WHQL certified, if there was a problem, I (would) hope they would have not had Microsoft's blessing on the release.

I have a LPE un-ruggedised, though it's slightly damaged it does work. alas all my 2.x's are hard reset at the moment... and as you know, I'm slightly out of the loop PC wise this week
I can't get to Outlook to add this to my to-do list. I'll experiment with you once I get back up and running and let you know what happened.

I have used it in the 340 before, but only very briefly.

p.s. LOL that you spelt out all the CPU types for me
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-23 7:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey thanks for the answer

i never had problems with the ne2000 adapters that actually worked with CE (the microcom and this LPE). except this case.. why won't the LPE work in the cf slot???

what was it with the linksys?

what is WHQL? i'm sure the LPE is a great adapter, this is what i've always wanted, but this issue is so strange...

can't wait until you can get back to me on this! in the meantime i will get my mc16 out (it's hard reset just like yours ), and experiment with that too...
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2006-05-23 8:39 PM
#
H/PC Elite

cmonex - 2006-05-23 6:46 PM

what is WHQL? i'm sure the LPE is a great adapter, this is what i've always wanted, but this issue is so strange...

It stands for Windows Hardware Quality Labs. as C:Amie said it's like "Microsoft blessing" for drivers, it's supposed that when a driver is WHQL certified it's been tested by M$ and has been found compatible and stable
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.328 - Cached queries : 42 - Executed queries : 29