x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Problem Browsing Wireless on Mobilepro 770

1 2 3 4
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2006-05-25 7:03 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hi,

I just setup my Mobilepro 770. Installed sp1, NEC's updates, and replaced schannel.dll as suggested. Then I installed the 128-bit encryption update which overwrote the schannel.dll file anyway.

I'm using a socket low-power CF wifi card. The drivers installed fine, the configuration menu is available.

I have tried browsing with IE, but only get "cannot connect to www.yahoo.com" or whatever site. I'm only trying to browse over my home network, which is open.

I tried different configs on the wifi card, both "infrastructure" and "ad-hoc", also "DHCP" and "static". I use the same card in my PDA with no problems.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jodi
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-25 7:08 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Please install vxUtil, check your IP addressing especially DNS servers:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=36

Also that you have no proxy settings enabled.
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2006-05-25 8:56 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks Annie.

I installed the software, and did the ping test (keep in mind I'm a novice). I pinged "Yahoo.com" and the results were "Good 5", "Bad 0".

What does that tell me? Is there something else to try? There are no proxies set up.

Thanks again.

Jodi
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2006-05-25 9:04 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I ran the test again, on Yahoo and other sites, and the results were inconsistant.

Sometimes 40% good, sometimes "cannot find host"

The signal strength on the card meter is reading excellent to good.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-05-25 9:22 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Can you list your specs in the handheld's control panel/network/yourdriver? What C:Amie refers to, I think, is go to Internet Explorer on your HANDHELD/View/Options/ and make sure that Proxy is NOT ticked. Also, disable your encryption and test from there.

Jake
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2006-05-25 9:52 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks, Jake.

Proxy is not ticked. And encryption is disabled.

Under network in control panel, I select the 802.11b wireless lan, and under properites "specify an IP address" is ticked. I used the IP, Subnet, Gateway, primary DNS, and secondary DNS numbers that were given to me by D-link over the phone when I set up my Palm Pilot to work with the Socket card.

Primary WINS and Secondary WINS are blank.

I hope that this is what you were asking. I apologize in advance if it is not.

When I tried DHCP mode, it didn't work.

Thanks,
jodi
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-05-25 11:00 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I use an Orinoco Gold card and that's the only card I'm familiar with, so this is out of my ken, but let me tell you some of my specs and they might help:

ip address: 192.168.***.***

subnet: 255.255.255.0

default gateway: 192.168.1.1

primary DNS: 192.168.1.1

everything else blank

I use a LinkSys router, and I think you're using a Dlink (true?), but the wireless router default IP address should be 192.168.1.1

If your're using static addresses, I would definitely pick an ip address that's DIFFERENT than your Palm's. Use 192.168.1.*** and for the asterisks, use 020 or some such.

Have you been able to access your desktop/laptop with your handheld?

Jake

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-05-25 11:02 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Desertway - 2006-05-25 5:56 PM

Thanks Annie.

Annie?
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2006-05-25 11:16 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Aimee...these old eyes of mine....

Sorry, Aimee.
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2006-05-25 11:31 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Jake,

The numbers I was using were as follows:

Static IP: 192.168.***
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS: 4.2.2.2

I was using the same IP as the Palm. I tried changing it as you suggested, still didn't work.

I tried using your other addresses as well, and unfortunately, that didn't work either.

I'm not sure what you mean by connecting the HPC to the desktop. I don't know how to do that wirelessly.

Thanks again for your time.

(Yes, it's a D-link)
 Top of the page
790HPC
790HPC Page Icon Posted 2006-05-25 11:42 PM
#
I would try turn on dhcp and then do a soft reset. Every once in a while my 790 will say unable to connect even though I have a link with my router. DHCP should work fine as long as it's enabled on your d-link.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-05-25 11:47 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hi, Jodi,

I'm running out of ideas, if only because I don't have any of your hardware and can't experiment. Your router uses an address I'm unfamiliar with (192.168.0.1) but if that's what the manual says...

It would be interesting to see if you could access your desktop wirelessly with your handheld. If you could, then you could rule out an incompatible card or driver. Don't know what OS your desktop uses, but there's tutorials here and elsewhere to set up a peer-to-peer network. It's tricky, however, which means it takes time that you may not have.

One thing I would do is list everything in your next post, from router model to driver version. That way, someone who IS familiar with the hardware can diagnose effectively. Have you visited dlink's site? Their knowledgebase--certainly more than their phone help--could be informative. Also, have you matched your card to the HCL list here? If it matches, the site may have better drivers than what you're using now.

Jake
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2006-05-26 12:12 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

All your ideas are appreciated, Jake. I will check out d-link's site, and try different addresses tomorrow with a clear head. I'll also look into the peer-to-peer setup over the weekend.

And I'll try DHCP again as suggested by 790HPC.

I'm working with a Mobilepro 770, completely updated with service packs and patches. My card is Socket Low Power 802.11b CF card, the older orange version, driver v. 3.50. My router is a D-link DI 524, and my PC is XP.

Thanks again,
jodi
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-05-26 12:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'd also try 790HPC's suggestion to do a soft reset. Removing the card, soft-resetting, and reinserting the card generally works for me when I can't get a connection initially.

Edited by CE Geek 2006-05-26 12:22 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-26 9:14 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If your ping is working Jodi, your addressing must be correct. If you can get out to Yahoo over the ping (which uses the DNS IP's) then your device has access to the Internet.

Open up PIE and in the address bar try:
http://205.245.49.105/

Do you get this site?

Additionally can you go anywhere else in your area where there is an open WiFi point, and give it a try?
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 12