x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Ce.net thin clients as web surfing machines?

1 2
Dennis
Dennis Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 8:10 AM
#
Hi again, been to busy to repoly to you guys oposts but thanks for them. I found them helpful.

I am different from iamjoe and I hope he didn't mide me adding my questions as I thought the title of the thread was perfect for me.

My thin clietn doesn't have any type of explorer at all but I managed to look around the system usaing windows explorer and just using 'save target as' and browsing around. So therefore even though I can save files to the ram, I can not execute them afterwards.

However I was supprised at Neoware as I sent a support ticket about it and not only got a responce but a susgestion to invoke cmd (which it has!) via a command over the network and the thin client' ip address. It worked. I can now use some sort of DOS shell to save and execute programs. Very good support from Neoware!!

I downloaded a CE file manager, which also unzips files but I noticed it is desinged for only certain CPUs (why does that matter?) This system had a 'Geode' CPU. I tryed to run the program and it caused a illegal operation

At least I have cmd prompt to work with and now all I have to do is find programs that will work with the Geode CPU.

I welcome any more susgestions, thanks

I will experiment more
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 8:40 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Dennis, what was the command that they offered you?

Windows CE devices come on a raft of CPU's, unlike the x86 PC, they aren't all standardised (I should say really that increasingly they are becoming standardised around the ARM architecture).
The Geode is an x86 standard processor, so you will need to find x86 software. Have a search on this forum, there is a thread somewhere with a nice list of x86 applications.
 Top of the page
Dennis
Dennis Page Icon Posted 2006-06-18 2:29 AM
#
Hi, sorry for the delayed reply. Thanks Anime, what you said was very helpful. I'll do a search for x86 downloads and forums. I'm sure because it is WINCE, x86 based CPU and I have a way of trying to install and run apps that I must be able to make this client useful.

The command that Neoware gave me was
"rsh IP.ADDRESS.OF.CLIENT -n cmd"
I can't remotly control the client that way but when excuted from another machine, it opens up a cmd window on the CE mchine.

Thanks again for the help. If I still have no luck I will post a new thread in the approiate forum.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 8