x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-05-30 3:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

With the recent Coredl2.dll and Webview.dll hacks for the Mobilepro 900C, which gave us complete compatibility with a few holdouts programs such as Laridian Pocket Bible and MDict, I thought I'd give AOL a try...and guess what. I was able to log onto AOL.COM and check my email, read it, and write an email and send it off to my desktop HPCNEC@Charter.net mail account.

I used Nyditot to emulate a 960 x 360 pixel screen and tried it again at 1280 x 480 screen and both worked fine.

It was slow...spelled S L O W, taking as long as 30 seconds to refresh screens as the AOL site is a graphic nightmare....but it did work. Not the best option perhaps in sending/receiving email, but at least viable.

The 3 pictures are my logon screen capture, writing a message, and confirmation it was sent....

Rich
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-30 5:15 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Rich,

You're saying you needed the dll's for the dialer, right? Not to pull up the msie page.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-05-30 6:03 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
That's interesting news, but too bad about the speed. Rich, I assume you know that since AOL went IMAP, Pocket Outlook can get your AOL mail. Ditto for Qmail3 (which is faster).

You can SEND AOL via nPOP and its authenticating properties, something missing in POL, of course. You SHOULD be able to send with Qmail3, but I can't get it to work, so I use nPOP to send if necessary.

But that's fascinating that aol.com can actually function on an HPC.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-05-30 8:04 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well with the 900C, I was unable to get the email area of AOL to even load before. I mean I could go to the site, click on the email tab, but nothing would display at that point....just a blank screen. With this newest hack, that problem is now resolved. I am accessing AOL entirely through my home network however...I guess I need to try the dial-up service next because before it would connect but again I couldn't see anything.

I wasn't aware that AOL went IMAP....about time. I also will try the QMail and see what happens.

Rich

Addendum: Still can't connect without an error using dialup...crap. Guess I need to try the PPC2002 of AOLMobile, but I sure hate to waste $20 for only experimentation?

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2006-05-30 8:48 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-05-30 10:10 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Hi, Rich,

Let me know if you need the IMAP specs, and I'll post them. As for straight dialup--using AOL numbers--I don't have much experience, since I live mostly overseas. There's @ware, which supposedly works in POL, but it didn't for me, when I played with it back in the States.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10